1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chick-fil-A Says 'Fruitcake' Remark Was Not a Gay Slur

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Dan82

http://www.advocate.com/business/2012/10/16/chick-fil-says-fruitcake-remark-was-not-gay-slur

2. lazyboy

lazyboy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Then... what exactly do they mean by the term, "Fruitcake," if they aren't referring to a derogatory slang word for gay people, or to an overly-hyped-but-not-well-liked holiday dessert?

Is there another meaning?

3. SkyDiver

Chick-Fil-Hate needs to die in a hole.

4. Ruthven

I don't believe them for a second.

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Right.... :dry:

6. Gen

Gen

Oh come on guys arent we taking this a little too far???

I'm mean of course fruitcakes wont like their party trays. Cakes dont have minds!! Duh!!

Goodness, fairies can be so sensitive. (~_~).

Disclaimer: I used Fairies in the spirit of Halloween.

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "fruitcake" can also be a term that means "crazy person" ("He's nutty as a fruitcake") and in spite of their bigotry I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt here and assume they meant "crazy person" and not "faggot." Though... the choice of terminology was, to say the least, ill advised given their corporate history.

8. spirithawk

spirithawk Guest

Many dictionaries define fruitcake, in slang, as "a crazy or eccentric person", actually.

To me, the ad makes sense if you replace fruitcake with crazy/eccentric person, but just sounds stupid if you replace it with gay person.

#8 spirithawk, Oct 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2012
  9. aeva

If they mean fruitcake as in crazy person, then I get it. If they meant an actual fruitcake (seeing as it doesn't exactly fit in with their fried chicken meals), then I get it.

I don't know WHAT their intention was, but they probably should have realized that it may get taken as an insult, and changed it if they wanted to avoid an issue.

10. IllusiveRannoch

hey, i like fruitcake. why the hatin' on fruitcake CFA?

if they really want to appeal to their target audience, bbq chicken sandwiches would sell a whole lot bigger than than anti-fruitcake remarks. :lol:

11. starfish

I do love me some fruit cake.

At least in the South the general usage of fruitcake is to describe a crazy person.

Sometimes it helps to step back and think for a moment. Do you really think a company of any decent size would run an ad with a pejorative against any group.

12. Mogget

Excuse me? People who experience mental illness are a group and most of us don't like being called "fruitcake" any more than gay people do.

13. Gold Griffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I think it means "crazy" as in "eccentric and strange" rather than "afflicted with mental illness".

14. Mogget

That claim sounds no different to me than the claims of people who say "that's so gay" doesn't mean gay in the sense of "homosexual" but in the sense of "bad."

15. Gold Griffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Technically they are using "gay" to mean "bad". Language isn't carved in stone, words get their meaning from what the people saying them think.

16. Gen

Gen

I'm sorry, my love for language cant possible let this one go. This is incorrect. Although slang has been used constantly throughout society it is still "technically" incorrect. Words most certainly do have a definite meaning in language, there is no way around it. Just because I decide to call my table a sandwich, doesnt mean I am justified in doing so.

The phrase "thats so gay" and "gay" was not a random occurance. It didnt just so happen that the sexuality and slang crossed over. The phrase was based off of the negative connotation of homosexuality. You can argue the intent of the people who use slang, but it ridiculous to try to argue that it is not incorrect.

17. CalebCael

Well no matter what they meant by it, there is no denying that it was pretty tactless. I mean, when a scandal gets to the point where it's dying down it's ridiculous to put something that can even be mistaken for being related.

18. Tim

Tim

...I didn't see it as a slur against gay people, to be honest.

Fruitcakes are gifts no one likes.

"Only people no one likes wouldn't like our stuff."

It's an odd thing, but I took it as only someone who is crazy (from not having friends) would not like it.

19. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

It's not the whole corporation, it's one franchise running this ad. A franchise in conservative homophobic Georgia, from a company (Chick-Fil-A) with a history of public homophobia which really boiled over this year. People lined up for miles to get into Chick-Fil-A on "Eat Chick-Fil-A Day", a day set up by Evangelicals for homophobes to flock to Chick-Fil-A to prove how much they hate gays.

They've already made record profits off of their public gay-bashing before. Preying on the homophobia of potential customers to get them in the door would be a worthwhile business tactic: no homophobe would want to accept the implication that he or she is a fruitcake, i.e., gay.

Chick-Fil-A does NOT deserve the benefit of the doubt for something like this.

#19 Rakkaus, Oct 17, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  20. Doctor Faustus

We're not talking fruitcake as in 'clusterfruitcake'... ? (I'm quoting Mark Kermode on 'Transformers' xD)