1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Full 8th Circuit: Mo. town can limit funeral protests

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Dan82

http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/full-8th-circuit-mo-town-can-limit-funeral-protests?

2. Ticklish Fish

Oh wow. Westboro Cult.
    I think I lost some neurons just thinking about this.

It's like I don't know why so many people hide behind freedom of speech anymore...

3. Mogget

I hate this. Free speech must, if it is to mean anything at all, include the right to offend and say hateful things. As long as WBC doesn't trespass on private property (e.g. the cemetery, church/funeral home, etc) they should have every right to spew their bile.

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It really pisses me off that they only make the news because they protest at the funerals of fallen soldiers.

They never make the news for wanting us all executed.

Also, if the ACLU could stop representing them, that'd be fucking great. I get that they are a civil liberties organization, but they could try using the money they get from donations to defend LGBT rights harder instead of defending people who want us killed. Besides, I can't help but worry about the free speech case that he didn't take. Surely they could have found a silenced student or something, or litigate against a school for trying to blog a GSA. I mean wow...

#4 Pret Allez, Oct 17, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  5. Mogget

They used to only picket the funerals of gay people, and no one cared then or tried to pass laws forbidding it.

6. Ticklish Fish

add: They're bunch of trolls, can we kill it with fire since people are feeding the trolls?

7. spirithawk

spirithawk Guest

They still are allowed to spew their bile, just not so close to the funeral. Which is all I'd ever ask for, and is completely reasonable to do so. People [should] have a right to bury their family member in relative peace.

Westboro bitching and moaning that they can't dance and piss on their graves with a "THANK GOD FOR DEAD SOLDIERS" sign isn't a violation of free speech or the right to assemble.