1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DOMA Unconstitutional

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Dan82

DOMA Ruled Unconstitutional By Federal Appeals Court In New York

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...-act_n_1980197.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003

---------- Post added 18th Oct 2012 at 11:56 AM ----------

and the judge who wrote the opinion is a conservative and member of the Federalist Society.

2. Jared

3. ohhsnapple

ohhsnapple Guest

I still don't believe this is the supreme court we want deciding on the issue until a few of the nasty conservatives are gone (and they are up there in age!)

4. Doctor Faustus

YES!

Come on!

(fist pump)

5. Dan82

i'm don't think it will be an issue on DOMA both opinions striking it down have been written by conservatives.

6. Mogget

Yes, but the SCOTUS is far more political than the lower courts. Scalia and Thomas are guaranteed to uphold DOMA. Roberts and Alito are likely to. They only need to swing one more justice to their side.

7. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do we really believe that? If enough points are made it very well could turn out that they vote BECAUSE it is shown unconstitutional 100%.

8. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with Mogget. I mean, the problem is that this is just an appellate level court, and it's almost certainly going to be appealed. The Supreme Court is probably already hearing a DOMA challenge anyway, and it basically only matters what Kennedy decides.

The problem with the Roberts Court right now is that while they conservative bloc is "conservative," they are also believers in direct democracy, and therefore extremely likely to see DOMA as "narrowly tailored" to serve a "compelling state interest." End of DOMA challenge.

9. Emberstone

I am just happy that with this case, the republicans in congress have used up all 1.5million that was all they were given to defend the law.

10. spirithawk

spirithawk Guest

If only we had a president who would stand up and fight against DOMA, that would be great...

Oh wait. :frowning2: