1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Romney Military Adviser Wanted Separate Housing for Gay Troops

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Dan82

http://m.motherjones.com/mojo/2012/10/top-romney-military-adviser-wanted-separate-housing-gay-troops

2. Ticklish Fish

Didn't someone established it on another thread that in military you only have like a few minutes to shower, brush, and everything, or else?

3. spirithawk

spirithawk Guest

I did, but that's just basic training. (The only place I experienced showering with other men at the same time during my enlistment, which was another "major concern"). :lol: My experience is with the Air Force.

During technical training you usually are roomed with 1-2 others depending on how the base/post handles the dormitories.

Once you're out at your first duty station, new people tend to be in on-base dormitories for 1-2 years. Again, depends on where you are, but a lot of duty stations try to give single rooms (maybe with shared bathrooms).

If there's really an issue with living with a gay roommate, I'm sure one could bring it up and ask to be relocated, much like a college dorm system.

#3 spirithawk, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2012
  4. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've honestly heard more stories of women getting raped in the military than men. Actually, I haven't heard of a single story of a man getting raped in the military. Of course it's shoveled under the carpet unless the victim can somehow manage to fight their way up the ladder but still.

Separate housing is dumb and I'm struggling to see the difference between this and black and white only restrooms.

5. Jonathan

That was my first thought ^
    "Separate but equal" is still a form of discrimination.