1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay couple win Berkshire B&B refusal case

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by silas99, Oct 18, 2012.

1. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Awesome.

BBC News - Gay couple win Berkshire B&B refusal case

Good for them. The owner was trying to state that she only allowed married couples to stay at their B&B...which I find very difficult to believe. I cannot believe she would turn away a woman and a man if they didn't have the same surname. Bloody hell in the UK she would probably halve the number of customers!

2. spirithawk

spirithawk Guest

Now I'm confused, but I'll blame it on my lack of understanding of UK laws and how B&Bs work over there, maybe you can explain it.

Was the B&B a franchise or a chain of some sort, or was it a private/independent business? If it's the latter, is there something in the UK to where you cannot refuse service to a customer?

3. Ridiculous

In the UK, you can't hide behind free speech laws when you are being a dick. Anti-discrimination laws apply to all service providers.

4. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry I should have explained a bit better. Its not really to do with refusing a customer. It's more to do with the discrimination laws in this country. By law you cannot discriminate against anyone of different race, religion, gender or sexual orientation. Of course she has the right to refuse anyone entry into her own home, be it black, muslim, gay. Except that this isn't just her home, it's a B&B...she is running a business, and so in not allowing those men stay there she was discriminating against them. Hence the verdict.