1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

East Aurora, Illinois board repeals district transgender policy

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Dan82

http://beaconnews.suntimes.com/news/15826109-418/east-aurora-repeals-transgender-policy.html

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow that's beyond problematic. The people who voted for repeal it need to be ostracized and professionally destroyed. And I mean utterly, because this is anti-democratic to an insane degree:

"According to a recent survey conducted by the University of Illinois at Chicago, 87 percent of Aurora parents who participated said they believe schools should be safe for LGB students. Eighty-one percent believe schools should be safe for transgender students.

Parents throughout the state, 92 percent, want policies that help protect students from harassment or discrimination based on transgender identity or gender expression, the survey reported. Parents surveyed represented a vast array of political and religious views."

#2 Pret Allez, Oct 20, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  3. DhammaGamer

I will never understand people's issues with the "T", who is that 5% who are ok with LGB but not ok with T? pfft

4. Mogget

The rule was voted in unanimously and voted out unanimously by the same board within a few weeks.

5. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ya, I read the article, and I realize that's what happened. The fact that they explained their reversal as having had the wool pulled over their eyes or not knowing what this policy would do struck me as damning. As a school board, they should know what they are voting on and what they are doing. To the degree they didn't, they weren't doing their job. And if they had just rejected it outright, my assessment would still be the same. This policy seems to enjoy the overwhelming support of the Aurora community, and if the school board wants to kill this despite that support, they are not fit to sit on that board. Nor, as they seem to be motivated by animus towards the transgender community, should they be in any position of public trust.

6. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ridiculous. So the prejudice of a few prevents transgendered students from protection. And for what reason? What wool was pulled over their eyes?