1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MN Anti-Marriage Amendment Just for GOP Turnout

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Rakkaus, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Vote ‘Yes’ Strategist Will Vote ‘No’

Disgusting. They pulled this crap in 2004, getting marriage amendments put on the ballot in many states in order to drive out Republican turnout and re-elect George W. Bush. I really hope it backfires for them in Minnesota.

2. Emberstone

minnasota is a solid blue state in the presidential election this cycle. most polls put obama at a 100% certainty for winning.

Unless God raptures all the democrats the day before the election (since the bible rejects the republican agenda, they can't get raptured, because their agenda is the direct contradiction of christ's, and therefore, gods), minnasota is safe. Also, it looks like the admmendment is not likely to pass.

3. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

I hope you're right.

But presidential election outcomes aren't a good judge of how these marriage amendments will turn out. In your state of Oregon, for example, 51% voted for John Kerry in 2004 while at the same time 57% voted to pass one of these amendments. In 2008, Barack Obama got 61% in California while at the same time 52% of Californians voted to pass Proposition H8.

Minnesota is a polarized state, home to a lot of Evangelical fundie wackos like Michele Bachmann. Remember, it's home to one of the school districts with the highest rate of LGBTQ teen suicides in the country.

4. madi

This is absolutely immoral. He helped create something he doesn't even want to pass? All for personal gain in the presidential election....I really hope that this backfires as well.

5. Gold Griffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Obama caused a very high black turnout, a demographic that tends to be anti-same-sex marriage. If it was a white Republican, the turnout could have been less and California could have voted down the proposition.

6. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

According to the 2008 exit polls, people who voted for Proposition H8 also voted for McCain by a 61-37 margin. Those who voted no on Prop H8 voted for Obama by an 85-13 margin.

While there were unfortunately a lot of black voters and other Obama voters who backed Prop H8, I think it would be a mistake to blame its passing on Obama and the Democrats. Obama also motivated a very high youth turnout, which is the strongest demographic in support of marriage equality.

Plus, as I mentioned, Oregon is a Democratic state (and mostly white) and yet it passed its marriage amendment in 2004 by a large margin at the same time as it voted for John Kerry.

7. Emberstone

at the end of the day though, it would have failed if the reason for doing the ammendment was to have an effect on other races, such as the presidential races. Michelle bachmann is a little bit of a toss up at this time, but she continues to slip below her challenger.

the disconnect between presidential elections and marriage banning ammendment comes down to the fact that there is a disconnect between the two, period. that is changing, as more people face the facts that there is not a single valid arguement against marriage equality, and the people against it only do it out of ignorant, hatred, and willful hatred of america's true values.

8. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Oh, no doubt things are changing. While changing hearts and minds is definitely a big factor, there's also the hard reality that older, anti-equality voters are dying off and young pro-equality voters are replacing them.

But just pointing out that even in a clearly blue states like California and Oregon, these kinds of horrible things can pass. It's worse when we're dealing with Midwestern states where much of the Democratic vote is coming from socially conservative white working class/union types. Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio all have anti-equality amendments.

We're clearly at an advantage in terms of the states voting this year, fighting a defensive war now that all the conservative states have already passed these amendments. Maryland, Washington, and Maine I think have very good odds for us. And those are all referenda to actually legalize marriage equality once and for all.

Minnesota, on the other hand, is only voting on an amendment to make things worse for LGBTQers in that state if it passes; if it fails we still won't have equality there. And the race is tight.

Though, with Washington poised to pass marriage equality, I'm still kinda surprised by the big margin by which Oregon passed its marriage amendment. Do you have any idea why hate managed to win by such a landslide margin in an otherwise liberal state like Oregon?

9. jsmurf

Social Cons plan to do the same in WA. My family and I have voted to uphold 74... take that!

10. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Gold Griffin: Well, I'll have to look at the data again, but I thought that I had read that Caucasians were more anti-queer than black folks.