1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Log Cabin Republicans Endorse Mitt Romney for President

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Pret Allez, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    "If LGBT issues are a voter's highest or only priority, then Governor Romney may not be that voter's choice. However, Log Cabin Republicans is an organization representing multifaceted individuals with diverse priorities.

Having closely reviewed the candidate’s history and observed the campaign, we believe Governor Romney will make cutting spending and job creation his priorities, and, as his record as Governor of Massachusetts suggests, will not waste his precious time in office with legislative attacks on LGBT Americans.

We are confident that there will be no retreat from the significant gains we’ve made in recent years, most importantly on repeal of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell.” With regard to the LGBT issue most likely to reach the president’s desk and most vital to many in our community today – workplace nondiscrimination – we are persuaded that we can work with a Romney administration to achieve a desirable outcome.

And for those people who point fearfully to potential vacancies on the United States Supreme Court, we offer a reminder: five of the eight federal court rulings against DOMA were written by Republican-appointed judges. Mitt Romney is not Rick Santorum, and Paul Ryan is not Michele Bachmann. Otherwise, our decision would have been different."​
    Citation.

In my opinion, this just goes to show how much the LCR is a complete partisan lackey organization. First off, no you can't work with a Romney administration to get ENDA passed. The history of ENDA is that it gets stuffed every time over transgender protections. Romney is not going to be any different. The only way to maybe get it passed is to through the transgender community under the bus, and I don't want to see that happen.

Second, while I find it astute that LCR recognizes our crappy results in the court system have been due to Republican-appointed judges, I think they would do well to remember that no matter how "moderate" they think Romney will be, he'll still just send direct democrats to the bench who don't think the Fourteenth Amendment means anything.

#1 Pret Allez, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  2. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    they think mittens will listen to them :roflmao:

3. SohoDreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I may live in England, but I'm awaiting this election with baited breath. I'll be severely disappointed if Romney wins. I know there isn't a clear favourite, but is it really too close to call? Could anyone break it down state by state? Which are the democrat states, republican states, and swing states?

4. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    heres a map of them:
    [​IMG]
    and yeah, im not american either but im super stoked for the election

5. Meropspusillus

I'm almost sad that I'm voting in a swing-state. I don't wanna vote for Obama (whooo, third parties!) but considering my vote might actually make a difference, I'm gonna do it anyways.

6. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Republicans, endorsing a... *gasp* Republican? :lol: And you expected what out of partisan zealots? :icon_wink

Obama always has and will continue to have the upper-hand in the electoral college - too many states that were once considered sure-fire red states have gone blue over the past couple of decades, so the Republicans are having to make up ground in the general elections now.

The key ones to watch are Ohio and Florida - if Romney fails to get both states then he will have to win every other swing state on the map to get the presidential office (see gordilocks's map above - grey being the "swing states"). If the system decided a winner based on popular vote, I would say this election would be a coin flip - Romney could easily win the popular vote but lose the electoral college.

Because our quirky system gives the advantage to Obama, I'll have to see it to believe it, in regards to Romney winning. I see his best chance as sweeping both Ohio and Florida, in which case it would go down to the wire as to who would win the rest of the toss-ups - but I personally doubt that happening. Polls are all over the map currently, so definitive analysis cannot be given, but if Obama wins just one of those two key states it could be over.

P.S.,

Yeah, don't buy that claim for a second. Then you'd do what, endorse Ron Paul? The guy I hear mainstream Republicans sh*t on daily?

Like Romney being a capable president, I'll believe it when I see it.

#6 Browncoat, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  7. Mogget

I can understand LCR not endorsing Obama, but endorsing Romney really puts their status as a gay rights group in question.

8. spirithawk

spirithawk Guest

Both candidates suck this year.

9. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Eh, I wouldn't go that far. As much as I would disagree with their point of view, I still think there is some legitimacy to it.

There are a lot of people that don't think you can send the equal rights movement back, so to many its a safe bet to take when it comes to choosing the president. Wouldn't be my pick, but to say that they loose their "status" as a gay rights groups might be a bit much.

Say what you will, but I do believe they are still people who are trying to do what they think its right to get equal rights. That alone, even if its the "wrong" way of going about it, says a lot.

10. Not every homosexual in the country will have left wing oriented viewpoints.

11. Meropspusillus

And really, I also think it's alright to be a gay group without gay rights being your highest priority. If Obama and Romney switched positions on gay rights then I'd still vote for Obama because I believe that Romney's other policies are ultimately worse for the future of our country irrelevant of my sexuality.

12. Mogget

I disagree. If, as a group, your main purpose includes advocating for gay rights, then supporting a President who opposes them means your group loses credibility. Like you, if Obama and Romney's LGBT rights positions were reversed, I would still favor Obama. However, I would not expect, say, the HRC to endorse Obama, and would find such an action utterly contrary to their principles.

13. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am not aware that LRC has ever made queer rights a priority. Usually they just lightly criticize whoever they end up endorsing. But maybe I need a history lesson?

14. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

What a twisted joke of an organization. And Log Cabin Republicans are supposed to be the progressive strong gay rights defenders in the Republican Party (compared to the completely pathetic GOProud crowd who endorsed Romney as soon he became the nominee).

---------- Post added 24th Oct 2012 at 11:46 PM ----------

You are voting in New Mexico? That map is wrong. New Mexico is NOT a swing state any more. The GOP has collapsed among Hispanic voters to the point where no serious analyst would claim NM will be competitive. Plus NM's former Republican Governor Gary Johnson will be on the ballot as a Libertarian taking a lot of GOP votes in his home state.

This is what the presidential electoral map looks like right now according to two different sources, based on the polling:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Meropspusillus

That's true: though I don't entirely trust polls enough to risk my vote on them though (and your map is the first poll I've seen with strong Obama, I've been mainly seeing lean Obama). Not to mention the Romney campaign has all but given up on New Mexico. And from personal experience I know that Obama's ground crew in NM is pretty amazing.

Regardless, the state still has a history of close elections. I think Gore won New Mexico by 300 votes. It won't be as close this race, probably a lot due to Johnson, but I still don't want to risk it. I'm all about making a statement, but still...

16. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Well, vote for whomever you want to, of course. But don't feel obligated you have to vote for Obama because you think it would throw the election to Romney otherwise. Jill Stein, Rocky Anderson, Gary Johnson are all on the ballot in your state, and are better choices, naturally.

Nate Silver at 538/NYTimes currently gives Obama a 96.3% chance of winning NM. If NM were to even become close for Romney, it would unfortunately mean he's probably already winning all the swing states and the race is over. NM has never in its history decided the outcome of a presidential election.

2000 was a different era. Obama crushed McCain in the state by 126,000 votes in 2008 and political pundits have made note of the fact that nobody considers it a swing state this time around. Here's an article about it:
    New Mexico has become a safe Democratic state because of a growing Hispanic population, Native Americans, and bad Republican talking points. - Slate Magazine