1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alberta Appeal court upholds ruling in favour of 2002 anti-homosexual letter

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Dan82

http://www.calgaryherald.com/life/A...002+anti+homosexual+letter/7406365/story.html

2. Zontar

A surprising defense of freedom of expression coming out of Canada, the same country where you can sue someone (and win) for hurting your damn feelings.

3. Bradley

Can you back this statement up? Not only do I believe it to be untrue, I think Americans should be the last people to criticize other nations for frivolous lawsuits. Hate speech laws don't protect people's feelings from being hurt, they restrict the promotion of hatred and violence towards groups of people.

I'm on the fence about this ruling. I've read the article in question, and although it is full of lies it is more of a religious critique of the normalization of homosexuality in society. Remember, in most cases hate speech laws in Canada don't apply if the opinion is based upon religious texts.