1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GOP Senate Candidate Richard Mourdock: Pregnancy from Rape is Something God Intended

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by spirithawk, Oct 27, 2012.

1. spirithawk

spirithawk Guest

[youtube]cwklmdrwWpM[/youtube]

"Life is that gift from God... Even when life begins in that horrible situation of rape, that it is something God intended to happen."

Just when you think you saw the nuttiest Republican candidate in a thread below this one, this guy comes out with this.

And here's Romney's endorsement of the guy, classy! http://youtu.be/PVXKYw_r5ZY

#1 spirithawk, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2012
  2. LailaForbidden

Re: GOP Senate Candidate Richard Mourdock: Pregnancy from Rape is Something God Inten

I don't think he meant the rape was God's will, but the baby itself. He's just saying God thinks every life is precious. Granted, he should have rephrased, but this is being blown out of porportion. He is not saying rape is good.

3. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Re: GOP Senate Candidate Richard Mourdock: Pregnancy from Rape is Something God Inten

He did literally say that the rape was God's intent.
    [YOUTUBE]W-Y0-daiMiw[/YOUTUBE]
    From 2:20 onward.

4. LailaForbidden

That's why I said I think he should have phrased his answer better. I think he was directing his answer more toward the baby's life rather than the rape. He's saying that child's life is god's will, regardless of the method of conception. I don't agree with him at all. I just think this is politics taking advantage of a poorly phrased response.

5. Linthras

Linthras Guest

That still leaves the question why God couldn't intent for that baby to be conceived by any other means than rape...

6. LailaForbidden

Because the world isn't perfect, so Murdoch is saying that even when the life is created in a horrible manner, it is still precious and deserves a chance at living. That doesn't mean God supports rape or he made that situation happen, just that He wants the baby to live (in this particular christian's view, that is)

7. Linthras

Linthras Guest

This only makes sense if you abandon your logical faculties.

8. spirithawk

spirithawk Guest

Nothing is being blown out of proportion. It is a direct quote. I don't buy into the whole story of politicians who "misspoke" or "phrased it incorrectly" after getting backlash; that's how politicians backtrack on words that don't resonate with the people they are supposed to be representing. Politicians are professional public speakers. He did not misspeak. He spoke what he believed in.

Misspeaking is something like Obama saying he's visited "fifty-seven states". Not like John Kerry saying "Education, if you make the most of it... you can do well. If you don’t, you get stuck in Iraq."

People don't say stuff like this unless they really believe in it.

#8 spirithawk, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2012
  9. LailaForbidden

Just because we disagree doesn't mean you have to insult my intelligence. Its simply my perspective on his comment... (that i DON'T agree with, mind you)

10. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Mind you :icon_wink, I wasn't talking about your explanation, I was talking about the mental gymnastics Murdoch has to preform to hold that position.

11. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

but if its a legitimate rape she doesnt get pregnant? :confused2:

12. LailaForbidden

13. Aldrick

Debating what this man intended to say is irrelevant. The only thing that needs to be examined here is the consequence of his belief and desired change in policy.

If the Republicans who hold this position - including Romney (who supports a Federal Personhood Amendment) and Paul Ryan (who has said in the past, "the method of conception doesn't change the definition of life") get their way, then a scenario like this would take place.

You have a thirteen year old girl who gets kidnapped. She's taken somewhere, brutally beaten within an inch of her life, and then gang raped. As a result of this she becomes pregnant. The direct consequence of the change in this law would force this girl to give birth to the child of one of her rapists. If she attempts to have an abortion (which would be performed in a non-medical environment because it is now illegal to perform them - thus putting her life at risk), she will probably go to prison or at the very least obtain a criminal record.

That is the consequence of what is being advocated. Rape victims forced to give birth - against their will - by the government under threat of punishment if they refuse.

His wording at the end of the day is irrelevant. His policy stance is very clear, and so are the consequences of holding it.

14. silkfrog1292

what an asshole.

15. Linthras

Linthras Guest

I can't find a direct link atm but apparently the Republican platform has two points that are:
    - Life begins at feritilisation.
    - The right to human life should be put in the constitution.
    Which effectively means that all forms of abortion, except maybe were the mothers life is in danger, becomes illegal.
    *Edit. Not just illegal, but an act of murder.

16. Aldrick

Linthras -

Yes, that's pretty much the official Republican stance now. Since Republican's were swept into power across the country in 2010 there has been a huge spate of anti-abortion laws being passed. It hasn't gotten much mainstream press, because most of it has taken place within the states, and what goes on in the states is generally ignored by the national media.

A big push has bubbled up to put what are known as "Personhood Amendments" into state constitutions (and ideally they'd like it in the Federal Constitution as well). These Personhood Amendments basically define life beginning at the moment of fertilization. The natural consequence of this is the destruction of a fertilized egg pretty much marks you as a murderer.

This makes sense to those that support these measures, because they strongly believe that abortion is murder.

One of the major unforeseen consequences however is that it could unintentionally ban certain forms of birth control. Although it is debatable whether or not it is "unforeseen" or intended. Certain Catholic groups are strongly behind the personhood stuff, and of course they don't support any form of birth control. And the other religious groups behind it believe that sex should only happen within the confines of marriage anyway. (It goes without saying that they also believe that sex should only happen between one man and one woman.)

Regardless, the intended consequence of this personhood stuff is to make those who abort pregnancies into criminals. Both the doctors and the women who have the abortion. The result is that if you're raped the government would force you to have your rapist's baby.

I am very thankful that this stuff is EXTREMELY unpopular. Just to give a demonstration of how unpopular it is they tried to pass a personhood amendment to the Mississippi state constitution. It failed in a huge way. This is significant because Mississippi is one of the (if not THE) most pro-life state in the country. It is also one of the most Republican states in the country. The voters rejected it by a wide margin for all the reasons mentioned. It threatened to take away some forms of birth control for women, and would have forced rape victims to have their rapist's baby.

It's pretty much entirely for this reason Republican's are losing so badly among women. In my home state for example, Obama might win because of the woman's vote. The Republican's here tried to craft a law that would have forced a woman seeking an abortion to have a government mandated vaginal ultrasound. That's right, they were going to force doctors to stick something inside a woman's vagina and then force her to look at the image on the screen. This actually made the national news, and it got so heated that Republican's backed off. Instead, they passed a law forcing women who are seeking an abortion to have a normal ultrasound.

In other states, doctors are now forced to read a government mandated script, women are forced to wait to have an abortion until after they've spoken with fraudulent anti-abortion counseling centers, etc.

Abortion can't be directly outlawed because of the Supreme Court ruling on Roe vs Wade, so they're finding ways to make it difficult, and forcing women to endure emotional abuse who are seeking to have one.

Needless to say, this is the reason Obama is winning among women, and the reason we're talking about Abortion instead of other issues.

17. Linthras

Linthras Guest

I just cannot fathom how these people think.:confused:

18. Level75

So rapists are doing God's work. Should give the guys medals.

19. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

Pregnancy is the result of a sperm cell entering an egg cell and then becoming implanted in the lining of the uterus. This guy is crazy and I hope it cost him the election.

20. spirithawk

spirithawk Guest

Daily Kos has done a chart (several, actually) a la Homeland Security, quoting all the stupid crap Republicans have said regarding rape.

Something I should add, is that "life created through rape is a gift from god" is a rather common belief amongst Republicans.

Daily Kos: The GOP Rape Advisory Chart: Volume III

The GOP is a pretty sad party. :frowning2:

#20 spirithawk, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2012