1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Obama Tells MTV He Won't Push Gay Marriage in Second Term

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Dan82

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS...-race-tightens/story?id=17571200#.UIxOcWfy-Sp

2. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I'm really hoping this was just a campaign move on his part, and that he will push for it once he's in his second term. Because never before in my life before have I felt like we've been so close to having gay marriage in the states.

3. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's disappointing. I'm with Owen and hope it's just for the election.

4. Dan82

Other than appointing good supreme court justices there isn't much he can do.

5. Ridiculous

I've never understood this. Each state has a different standard of human rights? That doesn't sound like a very good way to do things.

6. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    super disappointed in this

7. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Its not, which is why there must be law at the federal level to do something about it, but some people believe people have the freedom to choose which civil rights each state can give you...

And yay, finally people can see the light.

8. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    He's probably just saying this because he wants to win the election.

And, federalism is an extremely bad approach to human rights.

9. If he really does flop on this LGBTQ democrats won't be that kind to him for now on.

10. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The sad part is that we probably will.

11. Even if he does "flop" I would still lean on Obama rather Romney

Governor Romney changed his stance on too many things for me to feel comfortable with him as president.

12. lazyboy

lazyboy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Not that I know a great deal about American politics where I'm watching from afar, but...

Even if Obama flip-flops on the issue, or pulls back a bit to save his presidency, I expect that DOMA will be still deemed unconstitutional by your supreme courts with or without his action. I also expect some more states to adopt SSM even if Obama just sits there and does nothing, as opposed to Romney who'll pull everything backwards to the Dark Ages if he has his way.

As long as Obama remains in charge, the US will still go forwards on this one way or another.

Small moves.

13. Caudex

Caudex Guest

He's actually being antifederalist. Federalism is against states' rights to individually govern. And besides, the Federalists were actually much more promoting of equality than the Jeffersonians. Hamilton founded the first abolitionist colony and made a college dedicated to increasing the rights of Indians. So Federalism would actually be a good way out of this; if Obama were more Federalist, he would take social issues into the hands of the federal government, and since he has stated that he's OK with gay marriage, he would probably make legislature allowing it.

14. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My understanding of the term is precisely the opposite. When one says "I support federalism," one is affirming state's rights. Which I think is a bad approach to human rights issues. These issues should not be put in the hands of the states, because then you have to think about what the South would do.

15. Miz Purple

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yeah it needs to be federal or else all we will have is maybe 10 states out of 52 that will allow it, to many bible belt and repub states that will never allow it, I'm absolutely convinced left up to the states it will be little more then what we have now which is only 6 states.

---------- Post added 27th Oct 2012 at 06:40 PM ----------

Not to mention the states shouldnt get to vote on our civil rights like voting for which food to eat for lunch , it's insane, it needs to come from the president.

16. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not exactly surprising.

17. silkfrog1292

I have a question: Isn't it true that in the USA, the federal government can only exercise whatever powers that has been bestowed upon them by the states? Because i did some searching on the Internet, and apart from some supreme court Judgments it seems that a lot of civil marriage rights seems to first began in certain states (mostly in the northeast of the country) and then ultimately becomes federal law (I'm surprised that the Defense of Marriage Act wasn't promulgated till 1996). Such an interesting system...

On the other hand, sadly i don't share Owen's optimism, I think Obama only feigned support for Gay Marriage in order to win support for his campaign, once the election's over he'll revert back to having no stance on the issue....sad :frowning2::dry:

18. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Obama is completely useless, one of the most pathetic buffoons ever to get into the White House. Anyone who expected any real leadership from him was sadly deluded. He uttered his weak half-assed scripted support for marriage equality because he needed to keep money coming in from wealthy gay donors to fund his campaign. He couldn't care less what happens otherwise. This is how his whole presidency has been on just about every issue.

I'll be celebrating Romney's defeat on election day, but I certainly won't be celebrating Obama's victory.

19. NoName114

NoName114 Guest

Obama (and everyone in this world) would take away all rights if they could into another term. if I could vote i'd vote for Obama rather then Romney but it is indeed a dark day when we pick the lesser of two evils

20. Emberstone

remeber, marriage has only ever been the purvew of the states. That is one of the big issues with DOMA; the federal goverment never technically had the constitutional authority on that.