1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

France’s Secular Opposition to Gay Marriage

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Dan82

http://www.vice.com/read/frances-secular-opposition-to-gay-marriage

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    While it is interesting to see secular opposition, I want to point out that these arguments are the same ones made by Christians in the United States. The "think of the children" argument was especially entertaining, since the argument that "the kids will be made fun of" only has force because of the homophobia already existing in society. That's not an argument against marriage equality. That's an argument for fixing the misogyny and heterosexism in your society!

3. Emberstone

just because they dont state religious conviction openly in their opposition does not mean it is not the sole cause of their disdain for marriage equality.

religious zealots in america try to use science to outlaw marriage equality, and it doesn't fool anyone for a second that the real underlying root of their opposition is their warped, hatefilled masterbatory misreading of the bible to suit their own bigotted stupdity.

4. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Indeed. Even if their opposition isn't religious, it's still 10 out 10 times based on a faith position, like that poster '1 dad and 1 mom'.
    Purely based on personal preconceptions, not facts.

I've yet to see a compelling argument against same-sex marriage that's either rationally and/or factually based.

5. SohoDreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I find it amusing when some Americans (not making a generalization, merely talking about the ones who do) make such comments as "b-b-but I thought all Europeans were cultured and liberal!" It speaks volumes for how much many of them actually bother to read about this continent. I find it less amusing when supposedly intelligent people such as the writer of that article make similar comments. He thinks France is a "utopian society"? Jeez. I'm not saying they don't have a good system, but guess what? They have violence, gangs, child molesters, serial killers, religious nuts etc. too. I mean have these people never heard of Nicolas Sarkozy? Guess what? Europe is not some ideal place (and it's a continent by the way, the difference between the countries here is HUGE) where peace overrules and fights are nonexistent and everyone is cultured and intelligent.

No. There are just as many bigots and bad people in each European country (on a ratio) as there are in America. Stop romanticising this continent to extremes.

6. jsmurf

Well said. Im aware of all the subtleties pondside. But it's still a more interesting place because of the unparalleled history and wide array of languages. :slight_smile:

7. Fiddledeedee

Actually, one man many wives has often been the case. Lifelong partnerships are also an invention.

That's a problem with society, not the parents. Would you say marriage between, say, Hispanics shouldn't be allowed because a racist might make fun of the child?

The unfair thing is not having any parent(s) at all, and by being against same-sex adoption you're encouraging that.

Tell that to widowers, divorcees, and other single parents.

Why?

8. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Actually, I'm not a huge fan of France. I don't reject it as terrible, but I am aware that it has some serious racism problems because of how its Arab population is treated. It seems that part of France parallel with Arizona.

9. ArcherySet

ArcherySet Guest

I hate black people. Not from a religious stance, but from a purely scientific and social stance. Historically, whites were able to have blacks as slaves, and it was so beneficial to us. Hilter exterminated blacks, along with Jews, gypsies, homosexuals and Non-Germans.
    I don't really like them either. Hitler had some good ideas, he just got carried away.

In schools where the races are mixed, the white kids who choose to hang with the black kids, could potentially be made fun of by the other white kids. That is not fair to them. So it would be best of the black kids were owned by the white kids. That way the slaves could
    fight it out schoolyard disagreements, and help the white kids with carrying their books. Its a grave injustice to little white kids that they have to share schools with blacks, who carry guns, and knives and have freedom to stab poor little white kids. Then they are given trial as people, when they were property it was so much easier. You just put it down and buy a new one.

Interracial relationships are killing, murdering the white race. Kids from interracial parents never come out white, they always look black. So you see, religion has nothing to do with it. Vote YES on rewriting the constitution for black slavery. We need to put them where they belong.

I stress, this is not religious or politically motivated. Its scientific, social and historic. Its secular, justified and 100% right.

#9 ArcherySet, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2012
  10. jsmurf

Yeah, I'm not as fascinated by France as I am with England, the Netherlands, Germany and Sweden. All places I'd love to spend some more extensive time in. Sigh...

11. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ya, I'd pretty much wanna go to Sweden, Norway or Finland, where they are actually highly related on gender equity. Europe kind of needs to get its act together and realize (or is it realise?) that there are going to be Arabs, and *gasp* Muslims in their countries. And as long as Sharia law is never established and social democracy reigns, everybody should be happy campers in a few generations.

#11 Pret Allez, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  12. Caudex

Caudex Guest

But you guys have the LHC…so I'd still rather be in Geneva awesomeing it up than here where our science program consists entirely of the debate whether or not radioactive bagels are bad for you.

13. Ticklish Fish

I have been out of the global news loop lately. But this is the most fascinating thing I have heard today. So... what other things do Genevian do?

14. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Or indeed, of things like "should creationism be taught as an alternative theory along with evolution? After all, we need to let the students decide what's true!"

15. Ticklish Fish

there's a more mind-fucking one i was taught in church called "intellectual design" :bang:

16. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Isn't that intelligent design? I don't think they ever came up with any intellectual designs.

But ya. The idea that high school students have the scientific background to weigh any opposing scientific theory, hypothesis, or even conjecture is ludicrous.

17. vyvance

Recently read a book covering the construction of the LHC. Fascinating stuff. Can't wait to see what advances they make with it over the years.

18. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Black holes.

19. Ticklish Fish

but intellectual design is what i just said, LOL.
    Like how does that bypass Pangaea and species similarity across continent baffles me.

20. vyvance

It doesn't, but they will just bs some reason. For example, my adoptive parents believe that god put dinosaur bones in the ground to begin with, and they never really existed.