1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you combat a bigot?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by mattloveshugs92, Oct 30, 2012.

1. mattloveshugs92

bigots in, schools, work, religious institutions, on the street, in your city/town
    what are your strategies?

2. Beachboi92

be educated and seek out information so you can pose questions and challenge their beliefs effectively, no when to talk and when to walk away, never get violent or allow them to, and never get into that conversation when people are drunk or drinking because if you do someone will likely try to fight someone… or at least in my experience… but if you do at least have some friends around to pull you out of it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. madi

Well said. I've found the knowing your facts is the most important. Have statistics and things memorized and be educated in certain bible versus that may be used against you or you may use against them..... You can't win if there is not meat to your argument so you must do research. Also, if it turns into a circular argument going nowhere where everything is just being repeated simply walk away as difficult as that may be.

4. Rachyl

Rachyl Guest

I have to agree with both of these, as knowledge, trumps bigots. every time. Please be careful where you choose to discuss it, because bigots are bullies sometimes too and as when a bull gets enraged they stop thinking and just think to attack to make them feel that they are right.

#4 Rachyl, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2012
  5. Pain

Pain Guest

Though, in several cases, you cannot count on this person to change how they feel because of a few well-reasoned and supported facts. People don't change if they don't want to. Be careful.

6. mattloveshugs92

i liked these replies, all so true, i spend a majority of my day reading things and cross checking sources putting in the most logical things.

---------- Post added 30th Oct 2012 at 03:25 PM ----------

most logical things in places, and ignoring misconseptions i read a lot reading and educationg your self, while not expecting people to change is awesome, as ann out look, i have even got christians to choke on their words and i am a gay christian, they were speacheless, because i read and put it in context, i spend my days reading about cultures and a bit of everything really, i think times are chaning the world is less homophobic, in churches, schools, work places, ethnic communities, i see it changing.

7. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just tell them I don't want to talk to them, and if they continue to harass me, I tell them that I'm prepared to use lethal force if they get within 6 feet of me.

8. ezkill

Arguing with bigots is pointless. The more stupid you make them look, the more stubborn they get to save face. The best thing to do is laugh at them and tell them that it sucks they are falling behind the times. Then wish them well, nicely, and be on your way. That really irritates them and gets them thinking

9. Emberstone

with a paradox... their lower brain compacity can't handle them.

10. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I point out the hypocrisy.

11. TheUndiscovered

I think to combat a bigot you have to be resilient. You have to be able to say a lot of things over and over again because their small brains don't allow them to comprehend even the most simple things at times.

12. SkyDiver

Make sure they're aware that they don't represent the vast majority of the population. They truly are quite isolated in their way of thinking. Be open yet firm with them. Don't resort to rage or name-calling. Act as if you pity them.

13. IllusiveRannoch

well i haven't done it yet, but i'd go w/ witty sarcasm. 'Nothing can withstand the assault of laughter'

14. mattloveshugs92

i have gotten a lot of biggotry, i am native american, gay, christian... i have gotten different things from all fronts, such as being christian and native is like being a jewish nazi, to your going to hell, to being shunned by gays because i do not club... what i do, is ask a one word question or i say a one word sentence that can shut down what they are saying and make them aware. and show love, the only time i would get physical if if i was getting attacked, and even then i am pretty pacifist, if i was getting attacked 1st thing please do not hit me, then if hit again i do a martial arts move. i try to be least violent most kind and compassionate, but other times i mock, when christians say gay deamon, i say well get the pig spirit epelled from you from eating bacon with your eggs.... they have no clut what to say, and then something dumb comes out, and i say, you did not read anything, how could i trust any word you ever say to me, they get quiet, i have helped a some christians come out of homophobia. by love, others by counteractive logical arugments when i see them bullying, and i get an i am sorry. all i know is weather bieng called a jewish nazi for being native american christian mixed blood being shunned because i do not club, or being told i am going to hell, i am caring less ad less about what people say... because i am happy with my self more and more.

15. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You know the term "Don't feed the trolls"? Yeah... Same applies here. If they get a reaction, they're doing their job. If they don't, then they might rethink something. If not, then the whole world isn't about to collapse under 2 people. That's already happening. It's called the Presidential Election.

16. darlig ulv

Combat with perfect, unflawed logic. At some point, their stupidity will just embarass them.
    Example-
    Bigotry: The bible says that homosexuality is WRONG, that's why you shouldn't be allowed to marry!
    Logic: Well the bible doesn't apply to everyone, me marrying the person I that I love doesn't intrude on your religious freedoms.
    Bigotry: Well this is America, one nation under GOD!
    Logic: That was said when there was practically no atheism, almost everyone believed in god in some way or another. This nation was also established for free practice, the separation of church and state was made clear by our founding fathers.
    Bigotry: But it's wrong!
    Logic: Give me proof from a source other than the bible!
    -bigotry obsolete-

At this point, the said bigot might attack physically, this might call for help from others, or if you are trained in the ways of it, martial arts.

17. mattloveshugs92

i can prove to them the bible is not against homosexuality they hate they so much.

18. Brenny

Give them a big fat gay kiss. That's how.

19. kc1895

I also like the idea of passive resistance. The extroverted bigots like some religious extremists are well-prepared to argue with you, and arguing with them will only add fuel to the fire. Its almost gauranteed that they won't change their point of view based on what you tell them, so its entirely pointless.

The "innocent" bigots on the other hand, like the ones who say that things are "gay" to describe something displeasing or crappy, need to be questioned and educated about their homophobic remarks.

20. Kidd

Kidd Guest

If you have a chance to shut it down with a great one-liner then I'd drop it on them, but if you draw it out, it's just going to get ugly and honestly really isn't worth the time.