1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you feel about this?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Fruitylicious, Nov 1, 2012.

?

Do you feel it was appropriate?

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    16.3%
  2. No

33 vote(s)
    41.3%
  3. Maybe

24 vote(s)
    30.0%
  4. Other

10 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. madi

oh i have friends who go to evergreen...weird school. I feel like this is a very awkward situation. I feel bad for the transgender person because they are a woman on the inside, but i still feel that they should not change in the locker room among the other girls. It doesn't have anything to do with sexuality for me since i believe lesbians and bisexual girls should share the locker room with other straight girls.
    I feel very terrible for them because that must be so hard, but if she changed in a stall it would be more appropriate. I don't believe she should have to use a seperate locker room, but it may be more appropriate to change somewhere not in site of others. Again my sympathy goes to them, but transgender is not a thing well understood by most people (which needs to change).

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it's a Fox News story. I also think that they clearly don't even accept transgender identities as real.

But if the question is more generally, should transgender people be allowed into restrooms or changing areas for the gender they identify with, the answer is yes.

I find it really fucking tiresome that transgender issues always get reduced to this shit. Bathrooms.

Who cares that some people feel uncomfortable? I don't really care about the comfort of people who don't and refuse to recognize transgender people in the first place. Transgender people feel uncomfortable with discrimination all the time. Who's worried about their discomfort? Very, very few people. So given the vast power asymmetry in this situation between the "discomfort" of cisgender people and the complete erasure and rejection of transgender people, my sympathies for the former could hardly be more limited.

Defend the disempowered, every time.

3. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No I don't really feel that's appropriate. It's fine to be in the female locker room, but she could be a bit more modest and cover up since she's still got the male anatomy.

Also the comments on that are horrible, but it's no surprise being on Fox news.

4. Fruitylicious

Ya, I read FOX a lot lol

I would feel the way you feel, my only issue with it came into play when I heard about the younger kids. I wouldn't mind it if she had the female anatomy, but since she doesn't yet, I feel it was a little inappropriate considering the age group she was exposing herself to.

Now if there were other women her age or at least 18+ and they struck an issue like this, it would be a whole different story. I don't think anyone should be discriminated against, especially transgender people, because they do have it rough, especially with so many close minded people.

5. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I humbly disagree, because we're already requiring trans people to deal with this situation differently. Cis people need to suck it up and realize that trans people exist.

Now, since that's not going to happen, I feel like what we really need are gender neutral bathrooms and locker rooms. They can have a sign to explain what that means, and if a person is too much of a god damned jackass to share the space with someone who's trans, they can banish themselves to their own cisgender space.

I love it how nobody is worried about 45 year old cisgender women molesting little girls. Only transwomen. Cisgender, same-sex sexual violence never happens. Herp.

No, they need to suck it up. Again, nobody's all scared about cisgender same-sex sexual violence or impropriety. Only from trans people.

Also, I answered yes, which I took to mean "yes, it's appropriate for a person who is trans to be in that space."

#6 Pret Allez, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  6. Fruitylicious

Hmmmm you do make a valid point, I am still not sure though, I will keep with my original thinking, however I will take yours into consideration. I do agree 100% with the gender neutral bathrooms however, that was a good idea:slight_smile:

7. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Let me just say that I have a lot of respect for you and think that you're an empathetic caring person. The swearing that follows is therefore not directed at you. It's just my anger about something I feel strongly about, and I'm just trying to impress how big of a deal it is.

I'm not trying to be a jerk about this, but the reason I am so adamant is that bathrooms are the political worst case for trans people. When transgender issues come up, every last single fucking time it reduces to the bathroom and what we're going to do about it. And the answer is always nothing, and transgender people can just go die in a corner. Which incidentally they do.

It's killed ENDA before, it's killing VAWA now, and it's about to kill a non-discrimination ordinance right here in my home town.

So in my opinion, this is an issue where we have to take that step and say we're going to take this issue head on and advocate for it. Because no matter what, it's always going to come back to the bathroom. If we don't win that, we don't win anything else.

Also, Argentina did it. It's not that fucking hard.

8. Fruitylicious

No offence was taken(*hug*)

I understand feeling strongly about something, sometimes I just want to scream at people and try to get it through there heads about different things:icon_redf

I again agree with the bathrooms, I have not been keeping up on that part of the news recently, which means I have a lot of studying to do. I can only hope that one day ignorant people finally open their minds and understand that their way of living isn't the only way and to finally come to the realization that they are stupid for acting the way they have.

I feel that we are making progress though,I know it's slow, but I feel that our generation is going to be the ones to bring about equality. I understand that some are just as bad as there parents and others, but there are a few out there that understand and I believe that those few will be enough to bring us around to the 21st century.

At least I hope so anyways:grin:

9. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am confident that our generation will end up bringing about equality, but only if we keep everyone in view. We make improvements slowly. Consider even my parents. They are both liberal people, and they both took it well when I came out to them. However, they're both anti-trans. (Not as in they should be criminalized or hurt or whatever; they just don't really believe that transgender identities are real.) I can't really fix that, and it's sad, but whatever.

We just need to make sure that we have the solidarity as an entire queer community to get behind transgender people and make sure that we tie every failure and success to them.

10. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tough call. Dunno. If she's being predatory about it, it's not cool.

11. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, it's Fox News, so when they say she's "exposing herself," you have to read it with the understanding that they're going to say the most offensive, inaccurate thing that they can without being called on outright lying.

12. Pyrotactick

I.....don't know.....not saying it's bad, not saying it's good.....I guess I'm too tired....or lazy...I don't know. >~< Repercussions of Halloween.

13. aeva

1. I think all the protection against seeing people of the opposite gender naked is absolutely ridiculous. I grew up with a single dad, and had to use the men's restrooms and changing rooms until I was old enough to go into one on my own. I used to see him naked on an almost daily basis when I was younger, and regularly took baths/showers with my friends (who were all boys). I was not traumatized by this...

2. Was this person really "exposing" themselves in a lewd way, or were they simply behaving the way anybody else would in a changing room and people are overreacting? When I first read "exposing", I thought these little girls were being flashed by some pervert. If that were really the case, then the parents and school have every right to be upset.

3. It's great to be proud of your body, but not everybody wants to see it, regardless of gender. Keep SOME sense of modesty when in public!

4. Make gender neutral bathrooms & changing rooms and this wouldn't be an issue!!

14. aeva

15. J Snow

Regardless of what should be done for the bathroom situation, I am appalled by the way the article refers to transgender woman as a "transgendered man" and refers to her as him and he through the entire thing. If they aren't even going to use proper language then I don't feel a need to try establish what is fact and what is their bias.

16. RainDreamer

So, probably because I am a nudist and have my bias, but..is it possible for people seeing naked bodies of opposite sex without thinking of something sexual? Like, ok, if that transwoman was, indeed, wanting to "expose" herself to young girls in a sexual manner, then I have nothing to say. But if that woman was just minding her business and suddenly get all this crap because she want to be where she feel right...I just hate the world a little more.

17. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    God almighty it's just a penis! They're not going to be scarred for life. I think people should get over it. Male anatomy: who cares?

18. Hot Pink

Honestly, I might get some heat for this, but I would never use a female locker room. Mainly because I'd be too self-conscious to do it as my body is now. Also, though, with the knowledge of how my body is right now. I use women's restrooms because there are stalls and no one can see me. That's fine, but locker rooms? I think that's crossing the line until you get SRS.

Plus, it seems like this person is a bit of a pervert. The two articles posted here paint her that way. Plus, the second has paper evidence of Colleen's issues in the past. I fear that she'll ruin it for the rest of us, though. Not all trans people are perverts, but I feel like the ones that are stand out the most. It's unfair and often makes me angry.

19. Neutrality

Personally I don't think young girls should be allowed in a clothing optional sauna, I don't really think anyone man or woman should be naked infront of little kids...but maybe I'm weird =P...As for the overall issue, she is a female and should be allowed in the female locker room, if other women are laying around naked she should as well.