1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

National marriage group gives $1.6 million to amendment fight

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Dan82

http://www.startribune.com/politics/statelocal/176645391.html?vi_adid=W

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The bigger story in my opinion is how exceedingly terrible it is that a lot of states can just amend their constitutions (you know, their "supreme" laws) by a simple majority vote.

3. Oh dear, the conflict between my religion and sexual orientation is coming back again! :tears: :bang: *sigh* :frowning2:

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm pretty confident that the Catholic church will come around. Unfortunately, it will be one of the last organizations to do so. That's kind of the problem with being committed to what you believe is the unchanging will of god.

My experience is that rank and file Catholics are more affirming than the leadership.

5. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

I don't think so. It doesn't matter what "rank and file" Catholics think; as conservative Catholics point out, the Church is not a democracy. The Catholic Church will always be ruled by a tiny elite clique of grey-haired old men led by the one oldest greyest man of them all. There's not a lot of opportunity for progress in that environment.

6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, but nor is there in the Mormon church. I still think that there's some usefulness in making a distinction between Catholic worshippers and the leadership. I mean, some time ago, the Holy See censured American nuns for being "too feminist."

And as long as it's possible for everyday religious people who are straight and cisgender to be compassionate towards us, I don't want to give them short shrift.

And granted it will take them a long long time to come around, but I don't think their beliefs are as immutable as they claim. I have much more hope for Protestants and Mormons to come around.

#6 Pret Allez, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  7. darlig ulv

Gay marriage is wrong, so says the single man wearing a cape and bedazzled hat.

[​IMG]

8. Ridiculous

Is it still a racist organisation or have they finally decided that god changed his mind about that?

9. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I neither know nor care to know. Nothing constructive can possibly follow me trying to make a moral assessment of any major religion.

10. Wait, racist? :confused2: Fill me on this.

11. Ridiculous

It was a long time ago - as far as I'm aware it is officially anti-racism now. It was merely an example to show that all Christian denominations are willing to steadfastly say they know exactly what their deity desires, even if it is the complete opposite to what it apparently wanted 100 years beforehand. Doesn't exactly make their arguments look legitimate.

12. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Well the Mormon Church was blatantly racist as recently as 1978- well after the civil rights movement had made overt racism socially unacceptable in the U.S.

13. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    But they had a revelation, so it's 'kay.

14. Ridiculous

Mormonism has no redeeming features, so it's boring to argue against it.

15. Emberstone

in the immortal words of Kathleen Madigan "last year, the catholic church apoligized to the russian orthodox church for horrors commited against them in the year 1213... that is the folder they are on; they haven't even gotten to gravity."

16. Miz Purple

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    It just makes me sad seeing how much money both groups raised 15 million just think what good that money could have done for the school systems homeless shelters , soup kitchens the elderly , it just makes me sick to know insteading helping the poor and needing like the bible actually says to do they spend millions of dollars trying to oppress people who are not doing anything but loving each other and trying to live a happy life.

17. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You're so right! Then add up how much money has been spent in all the other anti-equality campaigns and all the money spent on court cases. It's really disgusting we have to keep fighting these battles for our equality. :tantrum: