A great story from the MN election

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Stew Bum, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Stew Bum

Stew Bum Guest

I'm from Minnesota. This election we had a proposed constitutional amendment to limit marriage to be between a man and a woman. We thankfully voted this amendment down. The story below illustrates what I believe to be a common Minnesota characteristic, the ability to overcome bias and to do what is right and fair. Suffice it to say, I'm proud of my state today and to quote a text from a friend, "Yay for the Gays!"

"As I waited my turn to vote with a little rainbow pin on my coat, the lady next to me had a little toddler with her that was so cute. She just kept looking at me and smiling and I kept waving at her and talking to her..I love kids. When I finished voting (no twice) I walked out of the room with a HUGE smile on my face and felt a tug at my jacket. I turned to see the lady with the little girl and she was crying. She said "I have a vote yes sign in my yard and I came here to vote...and my little girl just couldn't take her eyes off of you. Children seem to see the good in people and I knew by how much she instantly adored you, that I couldn't vote yes. Even though I don't really understand homosexuality or agree with it; I couldn't do that to you. I voted no." I hugged a total stranger today. I reached into my pocket and pulled out the dime I found on the ground on the walk to my polling place and gave it to her (I explained that I pick up any change I find on the ground heads down or up, because I feel like overlooking it and passing it by would be like ignoring a little gift from the universe. Telling her not to spend it but to keep it someplace as a reminder of the wonderful little gifts that the universe brings us." Then I said "thank you for not overlooking me." This was a truly touching and emotional election day for me."

#1 Stew Bum, Nov 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2012
  2. Roman

Roman Guest

Wow, fantastic post! It shows that we can overcome the ads and slogans that attempt to dehumanize us by just being... human, ourselves.

3. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    sounds kinda made up

4. Stew Bum

Stew Bum Guest

I don't believe so. The person who told this story posted it on my friend's Facebook page, so it's not a I heard it from a friend of a friend's uncle sorta thing, and to me it would be a weird thing to just make up and make public, but who knows. I have no reason to doubt it.

5. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It could be made up, but I still believe in random compassion. And I truly hope there is random compassion. I still believe it takes a truly cruel person to be oppressive to a person right in her face. Many people who claim "hardline" views on things tend to soften up when it's concrete and not in the abstract. That's why people say something pretty offensive and then try to backpedal when they hurt someone's feelings.

So within that view, I don't find it too surprising. It shows sometimes that all we need to do is just humanize ourselves to other people. Of course, your mileage may vary.

6. Emberstone

I will celebrate the striking down of the attempts to write stupidity into the constitution...
    if only we were also celebrating the defeat of the conspiracy-whore, Michelle gay-husband bachmann.

7. madi

this brings me hope :slight_smile: How wonderful that both your life and their lives were touched by such simple acts of kindness :slight_smile:

8. SkyColours38

Cute story! MN is technically my home state (though I don't live in the US) and I was following the whole Vote No Twice thing avidly, so glad they both turned out well! And obviously the presidency too! :grin:

9. Doctor Faustus

Awww. That is awesomeness! :love:

10. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I thought this was your story when I read it and it brought tears to my eyes. Anyhow I hope it's true as that is one of the sweetest stories ever. <333

11. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow, that would be an amazing experience! I honestly didn't think we would win, but was so happy when I woke up on Wednesday, turned on the news and learned of the victory. I'm so proud of my fellow Minnesotans who voted NO! :eusa_clap

12. Miz Purple

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    What an amazing story it goes to show when people see us as real people just like them they can't help but do the right thing.

13. FishMan27

That's awesome. I'm glad I was able to help strike down the amendment proposal. My county is extremely conservative (3/4 of voters voted yes).

14. Lewis

Whether it's made up or not, it's a wonderful story. It would be amazing if it was.

15. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Would make an amazing short film.

16. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation: