1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Illinois School Committee: "Our Transgender Policy Could Change the Country"

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Pret Allez, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    After reversing a policy that would have protected transgender students--a move that I initially thought was motivated by hatred--it looks like leadership may be considering a comprehensive policy that would provide mechanisms to all students to prevent emotional violence. I'll believe it when I see it, but I am cautiously optimistic as long as individual middle and high schools have their administrators and teachers trained on the issues facing transgender students. And it does look like they want to maintain that focus on specifically how emotional and physical violence is visited upon transgender students so that they can address it. It's extremely important that if we're going to have the school having special rights to enslave children because of loco parentis, that they be responsible and well-equipped to protect their transgender students.

Maybe they can look into some gender neutral bathrooms while they're at it.

Trigger warning

Citation

I highlighted the above, because I am astonished by this fact. I knew about the increased suicide rate, but the murder rate is just incredible. This and many other things demonstrates the very clear need for efforts to increase acceptance and reduce emotional and physical violence.

#1 Pret Allez, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  2. J Snow

Holy crap. I knew about the increased rates of suicide, but those murder rates astound me.

3. RainDreamer

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Even if it's not that high, it's almost certainly higher than LGB people, and definitely higher than the background population.

5. DoriaN

Kinda curious on a NA statistics for LGBT vs non.

Fear level rising imminent...