1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

update gay rights this week

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by stephenjack, Nov 12, 2012.

1. stephenjack

Just some updates on gay rights this past week (Mon. Nov. 5 - Mon. Nov. 12)

As I'm sure we all know...

-gay marriage was PASSED by popular vote in Washington state, Maine, and Maryland on Tues. Nov. 6...also, Minnesota's voters shot down a constitutional ban on same-sex marriage.
    -president Barack Obama, the first sitting president to endorse same-sex marriage, was re-elected(by popular vote AND in the electoral college)
    -Tammy Baldwin was elected as the first openly gay U.S. senator (Wisconsin)

and some things not all of us may know...

-UPS has officially STOPPED funding to the Boy Scouts of America for their anti-gay and discriminatory policies, siding with Intel Corp., who also stopped funding the BSA earlier this year
    -Promising prospects for the states of Delaware, Rhode Island, Minnesota(Yea, I know, isn't it great!), New jersey, Hawaii, Illinois, Pennsylvania, and Oregon to have gay marriage legislation coming up
    -The Supreme Court looks poised to accept at least ONE of the 4 DOMA cases on Nov.20
    -Also coming up...the challenge to Prop. 8 in The Supreme Court (also Nov. 20)

and unfortunately...
    -it also looks poised to pass-> Uganda's "kill the gays" bill.......

that's all for this week...i think. all in all, a good week i would say:icon_bigg

2. Ticklish Fish

what's the list of boy scount sponsors dropping? lol

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In my view, this is terrible news.

Hopefully, they won't be able to actually kill anyone with it, and it will be basically unenforceable for practical reasons. Still, if they do pass it, that will be an extremely sad development, and it will mark an important moment to re-evaluate multicultural politics (whenever we're told that human rights is "imposing Western values," we need to just start asserting the superiority of those values, rather than dancing around liberal guilt for past offenses in the colonial period that we're beyond redressing now...)