1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barnesville teen denied Catholic confirmation after Facebook post supporting gay marr

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by dano22, Nov 15, 2012.

1. dano22

dano22 Guest

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/380452/

This article just makes me sick as a member of the catholic church and living close to this town. I am close to being done with this church.

2. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Re: Barnesville teen denied Catholic confirmation after Facebook post supporting gay

The Catholic church just spent $2 million fighting marriage equality across four states and lost all four contests. It's no surprise they're feeling rather bitter about the whole thing.

3. Toaddy

Re: Barnesville teen denied Catholic confirmation after Facebook post supporting gay

I'm not surprised either. As a fellow Minnesotan i know first hand how the churches around here are. One church by us even preached to a youth group that if they ever thought about gay marriage as a good thing they would go to hell and God wouldn't forgive them.

4. Robin

I recently got confirmed into the Catholic church actually. They didn't know I was gay, but still, their specific teaching, which I learning in my religious education classes, is that you should not engage in homosexual sex, not that you can't be gay, so he should have been able to get confirmed. Then again, my church's bishop gave a large speech during my confirmation mass, saying that if you aren't striving to be a full catholic, you might as well not be catholic at all. The bishop at my confirmation also did this thing where he brought five guys (confirmation candidates) up to the front of the church, and asked them why they couldn't be priests. The guys all said that they liked girls too much. The priest said that this was no excuse. All I could think of was what would happen if I was up there and said, "I like guys too much." I wouldn't have gotten confirmed. I can tell you that much! :lol:

Still, the Catholic church IS a good organization. They do a lot of great things, and the guy was right to say that he doesn't want to put down the church because of that. When I was still going to church, I saw people's lives change for the better. Catholicism is full of wonderful people. There are just a few bad eggs that are way too loud about being strictly Catholic. Long live the Catholic church, but hopefully it realizes that it's pushing people away.

5. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Good, he will be better off avoiding that despicable cult all together.

6. SparkDT

Wow. :/

7. Hexagon

I wonder why he "said his faith hasn’t faltered."

If I had any, mine would have.

8. Rachyl

Rachyl Guest

Well, I am guessing that I won't be able to be Catholic anymore. I'm gonna lose a ton of friends and some family, but I cannot be part of something that thinks it's ok to treat people this way.

I know I was wrong when I believed that being sexual fluid in any form was just a personal choice. Boy was I wrong.

But it doesn't affect in any way my belief in God, or that there are good people that are Christians that help all people whatever their sexual orientation.

9. dano22

dano22 Guest

There are lots of catholics who do support gay marriage but keep it quiet in church just to avoid problems. The church can be a very loving place being a catholic since I was born but when it comes to gay rights it is a horrid place. I find out it sad that most catholics that are in the news portray the church as a hateful place when there loving catholics. Nancy Pelosi, Joe Biden, John Kerry, The Kennedys are all catholics who support gay rights.