1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Republican kills himself in FL after Obama re-election

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Doctor Faustus, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Doctor Faustus

This is incredibly sad but also incredibly selfish. I mean, this guy put politics before his partner... :bang:

Mr. Cossey has my deepest sympathies.

More here: Florida: Gay Republican commits suicide blaming Obama victory - PinkNews.co.uk

2. DhammaGamer

What a nutcase. I feel bad for his partner, this guy obviously had some pretty serious issues.

Also, a tanning salon in florida? Come on now.

3. IllusiveRannoch

:frowning2: :cry:
    awww. so sad to hear. :tears:

4. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sorry the guy was in such a mood as to kill himself, and how could his partner not have noticed the signs? I also find that to be quite the queer suicide note, usually the person will give a detailed description of why they are doing it. I think we should wait and see how this case develops. It seems fishy to me.

(Notice: when I say queer I am using it to mean weird.)

5. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Poor partner. This is why getting so deeply invested in politics is bad. Until politics actually becomes worth killing people (including ourselves), we should stay way away from strong identification. Our mental health is way too important to get our ire all drummed up by pundits. People have predicted doom and gloom in America before in recent history, and it just hasn't happened. The global collapse hasn't started. The country is not being destroyed by mild social democratic policies. Get over it.

6. Yougoglencoco

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  7. Miz Purple

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Wtf! Why? What has Obama done to make him feel he needed to die? This makes no sense .

8. castle walls

I would be hesitant to imply that the partner should have noticed the signs. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Less than half of people that commit suicide leave a note, so I don't find it difficult to believe that a note would be short. They really do vary in length. For example, George Sanders, George Eastman, and Clara Blandick left fairly short suicide notes as well. Conversely, Mitchell Heisman left a suicide note that was almost two thousand pages long. (Granted, he did explain his thoughts on several topics in great detail which is not common in suicide notes and most suicide notes do not include a bibliography).

Other reports that I've read on this story state that Mr. Hamilton was open with his friends about his suicidal thoughts and the election. One of his friends asked the police to do a welfare check and that was when he was found dead. If what I read on other sites is to be believed, that would make it seem like a suicide to me.

I don't mean to be rude at all. Just respectfully disagreeing with a few points.

9. Capichino

Ya that is super selfish and I feel so bad for his partner and if I'm not shure isn't his partner a boys name and he was a boy but wow sooo sad :frowning2: :frowning2::frowning2::frowning2::frowning2:

10. IllusiveRannoch

selfishness? i do not wish to join in the chastisement, but i don't think selfishness would have anything to do with it. instead, being overcome w/ sadness? i mean, i watched bits of Romney's concession improv on the news on the night he lost, & everyone's faces in the crowd seemed so distraught. i can imagine that might have been what this person was feeling. i would not know, however, that would have to be my best guess.

11. Zontar

This wasn't over politics. Nobody kills themself over politics. Obviously there was something more going on here...perhaps a failing business or something, and Obama's economic record was being used as a scapegoat.

12. TheDude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't mean to be rude, but killing yourself because a politician you dislike gets reelected is like in top of the list of the stupidest things someone can do. If you are gonna kill yourself, which I do not agree or encourage, do it for reasonable issues.
    And doesn't even Mitt Romney and his fellow republicans hate homosexuals? I don't get it...

13. dano22

dano22 Guest

Ok I agree with Zontar and think some of comments here are very rude and selfish. Yes this guy ended his life and caused his family and partner some unbelievable pain but who are we to judge him. This guy died and no matter what the circumstances were no one has the right to spit on his grave and I mean no one. It is not like this guy was a mass murderers or something than the situation would be different. Anyone who lost someone to suicide should know better or has contemplated suicide should know better.

14. Emberstone

tibetan monks setting themselves on fire in protest against abuses of the chinese goverment over the soverignty of tibet.

15. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree as well. You don't take your own life just because of one election. People who have attempted suicide, or who have thought about it -- and I believe the percentage on this forum is fairly high, especially compared to the general population -- should indeed know how much it takes for you to get to a point like that, and that it is always a desperate last solution. He did not kill himself just because of Obama getting re-elected. It might have been the last straw. Or maybe he was already gonna kill himself, and decided to use it as a good way to let the world know his feelings about Obama as well.

Either way, I think Mr. Cossley misses and loved him a lot and would not want people to speak of his just deceased partner as selfish or dumb.

16. Emberstone

I am just going to say it: there is no way to make suicide not be an selfish act. that doesnt mean we should demean all suicide victims

this is not some kid who was bullied into the act, this was someone who was angry that the cognative dissoance that him clinged to did not turn the election his way, and because he did not get what he wanted, he killed himself to martyer himself in a disgusting attempt to turn people against the obama.

no doubt he suffered from severe emotionally and mental issues.

but do not pretend he is a victim of anything real or consequential like bullied teens, who ARE victims.

this man is a victim of nothing but his own selfishness, and inability to accept that he doesn't control the world, and the democratic process is not there to appease him, but to let the majority make their choice.

he wrapped himself up in a false and corrupt messiah. nothing more.

17. dano22

dano22 Guest

I understand your point all I am saying this man was a human being that passed away and regardless of how or why he died we should not drag his name through the mud. Yes he made a bad decision a decision that will impact everyone who loved him but we do not actually know the full story. We do not know his whole way of thinking before he died either.

18. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

You do realize you have NO idea about this guy at all. You read one single article which makes a very, very bad attempt at delivering news and apparently you know the guy inside and out. Get a grip. We are talking about a death here. Its sad and tragic. We have no idea what really happened and you are making assumptions that are simply not based on anything else but your imagination.

Every single queer person gets bullied by a system of oppression from the day they are born to the day they die. It affects all of us in different ways and you just happen to be luckier than some. That's it.

19. Gen

Gen

I'm sorry but I dont agree with either of these.

No one is spitting on anyones grave. However, to insinuate that because a "man died" people have no right to disagree with his actions is ridiculous. It is obvious that he didnt die simply for this reason, serial killers dont become serial killers for the thrill of the kill either. There are always underlining aspects to the reason people make drastic actions. Though the point where this man went wrong is when he decided to blame his actions on others.

Blaming someone for you decision to commit suicide is no different than blaming someone for becoming a serial killer. This is a complete tragedy for everyone involved and whatever were the underlining reasons for this, it is horrible that he had to go through that. But the argument that we arent allowed to vocally disagree with the actions of the dead only serves to justify their actions. His suicide is a tragedy, but his method of going about it is unacceptable.

If you decide to kill yourself then that is ultimately your decision, but dont write a suicide note throwing blame onto others. These are your last words, save them for the ones you love. Dont slander others, especially ones that have in no way caused you any harm. That is selfish.

20. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

So not only is someone literally about to take their own life, but they have to stop for a second right before they do it to think of creating a powerful letter that will impact the life of other people in an online forum who have never met or really care about him? Not only that, but now there are acceptable ways to kill yourself?

This has nothing to do with you and you never met him, but apparently he had to write a nice enough suicide letter to appease your feelings?

Now THAT is selfish.