1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UPS stops funding Boy Scouts because of homophobic policy

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BradThePug, Nov 18, 2012.

1. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You can read more here.

2. Emberstone

the homosexual agenda... its spreading... *cackles*

3. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Glad to see this. Just a few more major donors, and maybe the BSA will rethink that stupid policy. The thing is, other than that dumb policy, I think it's a great organization.

4. dano22

dano22 Guest

I don''t think BSA will ever change. I had the experienced living with a homphobic eagle scout and how brainwashed and self centered he was it just made me sick. I know there are some decent people in the BSA but the majority is very homophobic and a part of very religious churches. It is basically religious organization and there is nothing else to it.

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The boy scouts in my hometown were pretty nice. Most of them had gay friends and they support gay rights. I think that the adherence to the policy varies from chapter to chapter.

6. SparkDT

Great news.

7. speedboy3

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    None of the boy scouts in the 12-15 troops around me are like that. Many in my troop are allies and even the ones that aren't think that the anti-gay rule is stupid. It all depends on the person who you're dealing with.

8. dano22

dano22 Guest

I am sorry i don"t mean to stereotype just dealing with a bigoted roommate for a year and being emotionally affected by it caused me to think badly about the organization. I mean this guy was very hypocritical jerk and a compulsive liar. So I cannot trust anyone involved with that organization.

9. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

It really just depends on where you are at. I was in Boy Scouts and never ran into anyone who was homophobic or tried to push thier beliefs on anyone. Everyone was pretty laid back. Ironically, many of the guys who I knew and was in boy scouts with that went on to be Eagle Scouts turned out to be gay! Haha

10. dano22

dano22 Guest

Exactly. It depends who you run into. After my experience I have to get to know someone that is part of the organization before I decide to be friends with them or even live with them. It is a trust issue and its not a good thing but it was a horrible experience for me personally.

11. Emberstone

its major donors are the mormon and catholic churches...

12. Tim

Tim

I have friends and people I consider family in the boy scouts and some are troop leaders.

It all depends on the troop. Similar to how while one experience at a restaurant can be horrible, going to the same restaurant in a different town can be amazing. It all depends on the staff (or in this case, the troop/leaders)

13. Sherri

My roommate told me about this a while back, and, IMO, good for UPS. This is much like how Jim Henson, Co. decided to stand up to Chic-Fil-A and end their partnership with the restaurant chain after Dan Cathy went public as a homophobe who donates company money to anti-gay causes. Companies need to learn that being socially irresponsible has consequences, and while Boy Scouts of America isn't really a company, the same principle applies.

14. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Excellent!

15. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So? Not everything about the mormon and Catholic church is bad, you know. This stupid policy obviously is, and no doubt it is because of religion, but other than that I don't see what's wrong with those churches supporting an otherwise great organization.

16. Tim

Tim

I will say one thing though: I kind of don't like this.

I understand the Boy Scouts main headquarters has made it quite clear they have an anti-gay stance, but it's also punishing the boy scout troops that don't follow the same stance.

17. Linthras

Linthras Guest

I'd wonder why they want to be part of a homophobic orginisation....

18. Tim

Tim

The Boy Scouts still teach boys survival skills, etc.

Having a corrupted leadership doesn't make the individuals bad.

If there was an extremely gay-friendly Chik-fil-A franchise, would you go protest at it because of the CEO's comments? I doubt it.

19. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Sure.

Never claimed it did. I just wouldn't want to be part of a homophobic organisation, no matter how wonderful their other positions and actions are.

Doubt away, I wouldn't buy at a homophobic establishment, so you're doubting is not only unjustified, but wrong.
    I don't care how LGBT friendly the singular restaurant is, so long as the chain itself is homophobic, I won't spend my money there as it will go to anti-LGBT efforts.

20. dano22

dano22 Guest

The boy scouts in North Dakota where my bigoted college roommate is from is extremely homophobic. OK here is the story. As a eagle scout he would act as a law abiding christian young man and when they are not looking do everything that they would not approve of him doing. He has a severe mental disability which is shocking to me and a long story and brainwashed his girlfriend who is a vulnerable adult into having sex with him and believing everything he believed in. It was a very unhealthy relationship and not something a good "eagle scout" would do. Of course he thought because of his connections he can get away with it which he did making out his ex girlfriend to be a attention whore in the process. That is the attitude of a lot of eagle scouts and that is why this organization should not be funded at all I don't care if some of them are pro gay or not.