1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Russian parliament to consider federal anti-gay law

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by DarkClarity, Nov 30, 2012.

1. DarkClarity

I feel bad for the LGBT community in Russia. I'm not surprised at all by this. Russia is becoming more authoritarian due to the influence of the church. Some of the members of Pussy Riot are still in prison. Also, what the hell is 'homosexual propaganda'?

2. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Anything promoting the apparently radical idea that we're regular folks.

3. rday13

rday13 Guest

That's incredibly disturbing. But then, most things that come out of Russia are.....the suspension of democracy, the rise of violence against ethnic minorities, the growing, all-pervasive and some would say, neurotic, influence of the Russian Orthodox Church (megalomania, anyone? See Pussy Riot for more details), and the severe curbing of the freedom of speech. Just a small shortlist.
    Granted yes, Russia's got a great economy but an economy is no substitute for the way a nation treats its citizens. Nor should there be an equivalency between the two - for instance, the Arabian Gulf countries have excellent economic data, but a closer look reveals them to be rather lacking in basic human rights for the most part.
    Will the Russian Spring ever come? Right now it feels like a Russian Winter - cold, unforgiving and it'll freeze you solid for centuries if you're not careful.

4. Yuliya

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    One Russian writer wrote that You can't understand Russia You can only believe in this country! and it's true, it's difficult to understand why such enterprising person (like Mr Putin was) leaded this country back to USSR... and it's true that Pussy Riot has problems not only with Church but also (and it's very important) with him!!!
    But I believe in this country and something deep inside me tells that everythings change very soon and all these "clever" laws are only motives for people break old habits!

5. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is so sad. I feel really bad for all the GLBT people subject to this environment. I worry how bad it is in the US for young GLBT people, but this is horrific. And what purpose does this serve to the betterment of Russia? None, zero, zilch, nul. :tantrum:

6. SkyDiver

It seems like the good news and the bad news are always in a race with each other... they both want to get ahead of the other.

More good news = more bad news.

While much of the world is evolving into the 21st century, much of it is falling even more behind.