1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being LGBT, but support more conservative ideals?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by an0nchick, Dec 5, 2012.

1. an0nchick

Is there something wrong with me?:confused:

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It depends on what you mean.

Many people are able to reconcile being queer with politics that are either economically liberal or socially authoritian (or both). It's not really the norm view, as queer folks tend to favor mixed economies with social democratic policies, socially libertarian policies, or both.

The reason I say it depends what you mean is that I assume:
    a) political questions are moral questions, and
    b) moral questions have correct answers.

The way people draw conclusions on political questions is to:
    a) consider the evidence on the issues, and
    b) evaluate the evidence with their moral view to determine the answer.

So suppose two people disagree on a political question. At least one of them is wrong, though it's possible both are wrong. They are not both right. It is possible for them to disagree and have that be legitimate disagreement only if:

a) they both assess the facts in the same way and are appraised of the same reality, and
    b) both have a moral view that is universalizable, and it's obvious to see that even if it's not philosophically sound, it doesn't appear to be clearly motivated by hatred or animus toward a particular class of people.

Without (a), the two people are having a factual disagreement, not a moral one. Without (b), the disagreement is not legitimate, because one or both of the participants are not truly human.

In other words, it's possible to be conservative and not have something be wrong with you. However, not just any conservative view works. Some conservative views are evil.

#2 Pret Allez, Dec 5, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  3. Fiddledeedee

No, there isn't. The only qualifier for being LGB is to like people of the same gender, so politics and morals don't come into it. Whilst the majority of LGBT folks are socially liberal, there are others who are conservative in some or all areas. Just because people share a sexuality doesn't mean they'll agree on anything else!

Some people might say there is something wrong with you because of your views, but they're just as narrow-minded as those who say there's something wrong with you for your sexuality. Both your opinions and your orientation are valid; don't forget that.

4. Greendalehumans

Nope nothing wrong with it :slight_smile:

5. burg

what kind of conservative ideals do you support tho.im pretty libertarian when it comes to politics morality.there may be something wrong with your ideals ,im not saying there is i don't know what you believe in. even if i did i might be the one wrong.but i don't see why that means something is wrong with you.beliefs ant formed in a vacuum our environment plays a big part.

6. LSunday

Nothing is 'wrong' with you. The only time you'll start to get otherwise rational people saying so is if, in the most recent election, you voted for Romney/Ryan. Not because agreeing with them on economic/foreign affairs/etc. is wrong, but because you were effectively voting to oppress yourself.

Some people will say that other issues outweigh LGBT right, but history shows us the opposite. The U.S. was inherently founded on the idea of personal freedom; thus, personal freedoms SHOULD be the main priority of at LEAST the figurehead for our country. There are even certain civil rights that by definition took priority over economic decisions. The abolishment of slaver was predicted to, and did, have a direct impact on the southern economy which relied on it. However, we determined as a country that personal liberties were more important than the economy.

So, agreeing with conservatives is a perfectly normal an human thing. However, it might be worth looking at why you put your vote where you do, and wether or not you will be hurting yourself.

You could also disagree vehemently with everything I've said, and that's okay too.

7. SheWhoHasNoName

No, nothing wrong with you. I completely understand being rather conservative for a lesbian.

---------- Post added 6th Dec 2012 at 04:50 PM ----------

Lol that seriously made me laugh. Irony

8. Joshua

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Absolutely not! I was raised in a very conservative family, both religious and political. I've inherited many of my parents' ideals, which is only natural. This was something I had a hard time coming to grips with when I came to accept my sexuality, and continue to work though.

It always helps me to remember, though, that a person's sexuality is just a part of who they are. Your ideals, whatever they are and wherever they came from, are another part of you that makes you unique and special.

We can argue and debate presidential candidates and policies, but always remember that you are entitled to your own opinions. Don't let anyone dictate them to you based on being LGBT! :slight_smile:

9. sguyc

Some liberal views are evil as well.

10. yes

yes

you can believe in any politics you want to, but if you for example are quite so conservative that you consider homosexuality a sin and something that should be illegal, that might give you trouble as you probably won't feel very good about yourself...

11. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    what liberal views are evil? [i'm assuming you mean socially liberal]

12. an0nchick

I think what that poster means might have something to do with will-fulling aborting a baby. Did you know that abortion just means a fetus that dies, not necessarily murdered? Some liberals wanted blacks to not vote in the 1960s, USA. IDK....I'm just making guesses.

13. Emberstone

misconception on the blacks not being allowed to vote. the democrats who were against it were conservatives in a time when demorat/republican did not mean liberal/conservatives. the convservative democrats switched over to the republican party in protest of democrats pushing for the civil rights act.

14. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm pretty independent, but I lean more towards Democratic ideals. I was raised by an Egalitarian mother (equal rights for all) and very conservative father. My sister is a very conservative Republican like my dad, and we were both raised Christian, so that has obviously affected our beliefs a great deal.

Nothing is wrong with you. :slight_smile: My father doesn't support gay marriage politically, nor does my sister, but I'm pretty sure if I was married they would go.

Ironically, my father's side is comprised of Democrats, while he's a very conservative Republican, and my mother's side is comprised of Republicans, while she's a Democrat.

Anyway, you are entitled to vote however you want! I used to be Republican but now I'm a Democrat. Your views may change over time like mine did and that's ok too. :slight_smile:

15. Jonimarie

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was thinking the exact same thing!!!

16. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

What do you mean by "conservative ideals"? Different generations have different conservative values.

What has conservatism meant in an American context?

"Conservative ideals" once meant conserving a society where a particular church or religion held all of the power in society, where free scientific inquiry and progress were suppressed, where any questioning of a particular religious dogma could get you burned at the stake as a heretic. The liberals or progressives of that era fought to bring about an era of Enlightenment and create a secular society governed by reason and logic rather than a theocracy ruled by superstition and religious dogma.

"Conservative ideals" once meant conserving a society where a king and a few noblemen-by-birth wielded all the power in a society while everyone else were poor serfs who had no rights whatsoever. The liberals or progressives of that era revolted against the conservatives and established democratic government and economic egalitarianism.

"Conservative ideals" then meant conserving a society where black people were slaves and only rich white men had the right to vote. The liberals or progressives of that era fought a civil war that ended slavery and extended the right to vote to all men.

"Conservative ideals" then meant conserving a society where child labor was rampant, workers were locked in factories in dangerous conditions for many hours making just pennies in wages (many would die in fires or other hazards) and businesses would pollute the air and sell dangerous, diseased food and drug products for profit. Progressives fought to implement laws to end all of these practices, to improve conditions for workers, to clean the environment, and to protect the health of the public.

"Conservative ideals" then meant conserving a society where women had few rights, could not vote, could not work in high-level jobs outside the home, could be raped in marriage, and were treated as property of their husbands. The liberals that era fought to establish equal rights for women, granting women the right to vote, access to contraception, and the right to work for equal pay.

"Conservative ideals" then meant conserving a society where a few rich corporate robber barons had accumulated all of the wealth and power in society while the majority of people were impoverished and struggling, especially the children and the elderly, with high rates of infant mortality and old people starving to death; there was a huge gap between the very rich and the very poor, with nobody in between. The conservatives fought tooth and nail against attempts to change that society, but ultimately the liberals prevailed in passing the New Deal and later Great Society programs, things like Social Security, Medicare, the War on Poverty, the social safety net, programs which closed the wealth gap in the United States, reduced the poverty rate, and established a strong vibrant middle class of healthy people who lived securely to ripe old ages.

"Conservative ideals" then meant conserving a Jim Crow society where black people were segregated by law from white people in poor, dangerous neighborhoods with failing, underfunded schools and institutions, businesses were free to discriminate and refuse service to people based on race, black people could not even sit where they wanted on a city bus, and interracial marriage was illegal. Despite the strong opposition of conservatives, liberals and progressives used the federal government to force changes toward racial equality, abolishing segregation and Jim Crow laws, legalizing interracial marriage, and passing the Civil Rights Act to make racial discrimination illegal.

"Conservative ideals" now means supporting an economic system which dismantles all of the aforementioned progress, which cuts funding to programs for the poor and elderly like Medicare and Social Security in order to give tax cuts for the rich, bringing us back to the days when there was no middle class, just a wide gap between rich and poor, and the poor were left to die on the streets.

"Conservative ideals" now means returning to a medieval society ruled by religious dogma rather than science and reason, where conservative politicians set public policy based on their personal religious beliefs, banning contraception and gay marriage while refusing to believe in scientific facts about evolution or climate change.

"Conservative ideals" means a conserving society where LGBTQ people are seen as mentally ill, deviant, disgusting, sinful, inferior, and not worthy of equal rights, especially when coupled with the return of religious dominance. Like black people and women and children and seniors and poor people and workers and every other group to be targeted by conservatives throughout history, today queer people by our very existence and 'outness' are perceived as an attack on good old fashioned traditional conservative society, where gay people wouldn't dare to exist, and if they were discovered they would be beaten to death. Meanwhile today's liberals or progressives are fighting conservatives and winning battles for equality, whether it be marriage equality, anti-discrimination laws, fighting discrimination in the military, legalizing homosexual behavior in the first place, etc., etc. Conservatives have fought all of these things every step of the way.

So you can be a fan of conservative ideals. However I would say history has shown conservatism to be the intellectually and morally inferior worldview, mainly clung to by small-minded people who lack the courage to question the values they were raised with. I can think of no instance throughout history where the conservative position on an issue was proven in the long-term to be the correct one. Conservatives literally have accomplished nothing except to waste their lives trying to slow down inevitable human progress.

17. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    woah this is a good post. altho i would say almost everything you mentioned in the 6th paragraph is still happening, so we can't really say liberals have fixed it.
    [nice quote in yr. sig btw]

18. an0nchick

Nowadays, Conservatism = Republicanism. Before the 1970s, Conservatism = Democrats, KKK, Neo-Nazis... etc...

Conservatism = LESS GOVERNMENT.

19. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I want to emphasis that there is nothing wrong with you having more conservative view points at all. Hell, most so-called liberals in the US would still be considered conservatives compared to the rest of the world.

Be you, respect other people, and you are more than fine :slight_smile:

20. burg

before neoconservatives came along in the 1970s.conservatism meant to conserve liberty up holding free speech limiting government power to search seize property basically to limit government power.and i don't find that evil but a necessary condition of a free society.il claim as self evident that history is not kind to nations that allow unlimited state power including democrocies.what conservatism is today is nearly the opposite of traditional conservatism.