1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

60 Reasons To Be Proud In 2012

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by TheEdend, Dec 5, 2012.

1. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Really heart-warming summary of many of the amazing things that happened in the 2012, and it can only get better from here on.

Its not always perfect and its not easy, but take one single moment to be happy and smile :slight_smile:

60 Reasons To Be Proud In 2012

2. DhammaGamer

Very cool to see so much love and support for gay and lesbian people. Now I just hope that similar tides begin to turn for transsexual individuals as well.

3. YeonAh

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This is just awesome :slight_smile: What a great way to end off the year.

4. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That was really nice.

5. madi

wow, just wow, didn't realize how beautiful this past year has been

6. dano22

dano22 Guest

A great year of progress with hopefully more to come! I am glad to be 22 in 2012 so I can live to see greater progress for our rights and I am glad to live in Minnesota which is in the right direction towards gay marriage. Hell the states with gay marriage may become overcrowded but at least we will be richer and well invested than the down south.

7. theMaverick

This makes me feel better.

8. J Snow

This. I feel selfish reading this. Its great that LGB individuals are making improvements, but only one of the 60 reasons even mentioned the word transgender. Kind of feel left out...

9. plasticcrows

plasticcrows Guest

None of these inspire pride for my sexuality in me, although I am pleased that homosexuality and is gradually becoming more acceptable.

10. Zuuki

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The target ad with the gay couple made me smileā€¦

11. SparkDT

That was a great read. I hope 2013 is another great year for the LGBT community! :slight_smile:

12. WilliamM

WilliamM Guest

All great reasons to be proud :slight_smile:

13. Suffocation

There's some source of pessimism in me making me uncomfortable agreeing with the overall statement of this article. I don't like how I am thrown into this crap. With all of this sort of 'culture' thing. It's like I was born into some sort of crazy ass cult-religion, except I can't exclude myself from it.

All of that rainbow flag crap, I don't think I'll ever understand. Sure, I'm probably raging because of my disorders, and because I had a terrible day. But I'm finally coming to a conclusion about this.

It bugs me of what is represented of my sexuality, what other people "laugh at me for" .. Butterflies and unicorns and colorful-fucking-rainbows. Can someone explain why? And no, its not a stereotype. Its right there. Right on the flag that represents who I am as a person. False.
    Pathetic.

14. plasticcrows

plasticcrows Guest

^You and I seem to share opinions on the LGBT culture and community. I find that much of the LGBT culture's imagery deserves derision and distance myself from it. I am displeased that others so closely associate me with the culture because of my sexuality and that other gay people (obviously not all) think that my opinions are the result of internalized homophobia.

Thankfully your sexuality does not define who you are as a person no matter what others may suggest.

#14 plasticcrows, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  15. Suffocation

I honestly want to think that, but it's not true. The first thing you are judged on is your skin color, then your sexuality. Then everything else. (which nobody else cares about.)

16. plasticcrows

plasticcrows Guest

Those are the judgements other people have about you, but do they actually describe you in full? If others perceive you as some annoying, campy, rainbow clad gay sex machine are you really one? Other people can be, and usually are, incorrect in judging your character if their only basis is skin color and sexuality or even other traits like religion and political affiliation. The only person who can know for certain 'who you are' is yourself. Thankfully there is a handful of people who don't give a damn about your sexuality, skin color, etc.

17. Suffocation

Well, I am a gay sex machine. And other people do perceive me as annoying. But it's the fact that the rest of that stereotype is what pisses me off. Why can't I just be that annoying, gay sex machine. Does it have to involve rainbows and such?

18. plasticcrows

plasticcrows Guest

Of course it does, or else you're not a true LGBT. You've got some internalized homophobia, man. sarcasm.

19. DhammaGamer

Dude, just make your own flag. Show your own colors. Let the world know that you are YOU and that no one will define you or the life you live but yourself! That's what the pride movement is about, that's what the civil rights movement is about. Fearless acceptance of the diversity of human experience, expression, and freedom. Don't hate those who segregate you to "the rainbow crowd" fight back and defend your own identity while protecting the freedom of others as well.

20. plasticcrows

plasticcrows Guest

Why would I need a flag or a symbol for something I find insignificant to the whole of my character?