1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay marriage: David Cameron backs church role

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by LiquidSwords, Dec 7, 2012.

1. LiquidSwords

A little bit of good news from the UK. You may or may not already know that our current government has promised to introduce gay marriage by 2015.

Today the Prime Minister says that gay couples will also be able to get married by religious institutions, something which the government had previously rejected. Religious institutions won't be forced to marry gay couples but will be able to if they want to.

David Cameron says: "I'm a massive supporter of marriage and I don't want gay people to be excluded from a great institution."

Great to hear this sort of rhetoric from a conservative (well, what we call a conservative in the UK:icon_bigg)

BBC News - Gay marriage: David Cameron backs church role

:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

2. 341

341 Guest

I'll be 18 in 2015, who wants to marry me? haha

3. yes

yes

wooo! i hardly ever read or watch the news these days so i tend to miss these things so thanks a lot for posting!

i personally will probably never get married in a church (unless my partner really wants to or i become religious) but this is such an important thing, that we get the same rights, and are viewed and treated equally by law.

4. CTJ

CTJ

I'm abit sceptical about the whole gay marriage by 2015 thing. Especially seeing as comedy Dave has allowed a free vote for it, i can see most of his own party rejecting it.

I do love that our version of conservatism is so far removed from the american ways. I mean you only have to look at Boris for a good laugh, but a harmless kind rather than the laugh or cry version you have with Romney.

I must admit, i voted conservative at the last election. Mainly because i thought that we needed them to fix the economy (and what a great job theyre doing...we'll solve recession with pasty tax!). I was worried that i was voting against what i should, with me being gay, but thank god Cameron has a backbone and will do, or at least try to do, what he thinks is right.

5. Hexagon

Well, while I'm obviously glad something is happening, I'm a little skeptical. A free vote on a matter of human rights?

6. LiquidSwords

Well I'm definitely not a conservative minded person and I doubt I'll ever vote Conservative but I have to give props to DC for his stand on this. I don't even care whether he truly believes in it or it's just cynical political positioning he's still supporting it.

I'm not worried about the free vote either, LibDems are guarenteed to support it and most of Labour will so you only need a handful of Tories to back it and it's done.