1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Conservative MP says most parents do not want gay children

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Lewis, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Lewis

Conservative MP says most parents do not want gay children | Society | guardian.co.uk

2. CTJ

CTJ

I dont see that as controversial tbh. You could be the most avid supporter of gay rights and still not want your child to be gay. A parent wants what is best for their child, to live a 'normal' and easy life. The most normal and easy is a straight life, it'd be odd to me to hear someone saying they would want a gay child.

Saying that, my best mate (who is a straight guy) only wants a daughter and claims that if he has a son, he will do his best to turn him gay. He claims its so he can watch musicals and not have to talk about sports or other manly things.

3. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He's right, most people are selfish

4. Lewis

Yeah, it's not all that controversial really - just thought it was something relevant to post since there's a lot of conflict within the conservative party whether or not gay marriage should be allowed in the UK.

5. 341

341 Guest

I think you're all missing the point here; I have no clue why he said this, is he trying to suggest gay marriage will 'turn children gay'? I believe it it very controversial.

6. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If i was a straight parent, i'd probably be relieved if my son was gay, b/c i would then not have to worry he has an oedipus complex & is planning to kill me & have sex w/ my wife. If my daughter was a lesbian I'd be cool w/ that too.

7. CTJ

CTJ

"The Labour party will vote for it, the Liberals will vote for it, huge numbers of Tories will vote for it, whack it through, let's knock this thing on the head," he said. "Let's get it done and let's talk about the real Conservative things we want to do like encouraging aspiration, entrepreneurship, cutting taxes, cutting crime, creating a fairer society." - Boris Johnson.

I freaking love this man. Why cant everyone have the same attitude to equality?

8. FemCasanova

In one way I can also understand it and agree with it. I think a lot of parents would initially be "disappointed" due to the possible lack of grand children, which is what a lot of parents want. We can`t really fault them for that. To me, it`s more important that when they realize they DO have a gay child, that they then support that child and love him/her for who she is. Also, a lot of parents view their child being gay as reason for him/her possibly experiencing a lot of negativity and difficulties. Most parents want their child to be happy, which makes it a conflict. On one hand, they want their child to be loved for who he/she is, on the other hand, they see what a person can be put through for being gay. So, I say judge the parent for what he/she does, not what he/she fears.

#8 FemCasanova, Dec 10, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  9. Ticklish Fish

"I think"?

I think a lot of things too!

10. LiquidSwords

While what he says is not necessarily wrong I don't see how it has any relevance to the debate about gay marriage.

I'll accept that most parents would prefer their kids to be straight but how is that an argument against gay marriage? I just don't see why he mentioned it.

11. Gold Griffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    But then they would have an electra complex and planning to kill your wife and have sex with you.

12. Deaf Not Blind

yes...but let me play devils advocate here...

Do children owe their parents offspring?

Should a newborn be created, and be expected to create future generations of hybrids...that is passing the genes into the population more?

Is the goal and idea of having a child to continue the family line, name, pass on old junk (heirlooms)?

Is it fair to expect that every baby must be in top shape, bred well, have all vaccines, good testcles/child-bearing hips, fine specimen to produce?

(sounds Eugenic to me...)

13. FemCasanova

Would it be more relevant if I changed the wording to "in my opinion"? Did my post insult in some way? Usually, that is the case when people start picking on wording, lol. If it did, how about you wrote what did, and I can clarify :icon_wink Or re-phrase!

14. Ticklish Fish

sorry, wasn't talking about you. was talking about the article lol.

you can't "claim" something by saying "i think"

not supporting your argument at all! it's opinion!

EDIT:
    Also:

The whole point of education is changing because, change is not that bad lol.

what about the impacts on teachers? curriculum changes a lot anyways!

so it goes against what a lot of people within the conservative party feel very strongly about?

#14 Ticklish Fish, Dec 10, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  15. FemCasanova

No, don`t get me wrong, I actually agree with you. Children do not owe their parents anything as of a general, we didn`t ask for them to make us, our lives are our ownm and we are what we are :icon_wink

All I wrote was that I understand them :thumbsup: I get their issue. That the thought of not getting grand children might upset them. It`s their problem, but we can offer a little of our sympathy. For example, my mother did comment that she found it sad she was likely not going to get any grand children from me. I simply said I got that, and hugged her. She didn`t make a big deal of it, we didn`t argue. She has completely accepted it, and she didn`t give me any grief over it. But in return, I have sympathy for that little moment of painful realization. I can at least give her that much, even if I cannot give her grand-children. Or, in my case, since I am a woman, I technically can, but I am not going to. I do not want to give birth to any children, if I am ever going to have one, it will be through adoption.

---------- Post added 10th Dec 2012 at 08:23 PM ----------

Ah, well, if it was the "I think" in the article, then I misunderstood :icon_wink Sorry about that :grin:

16. Cmbr

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I actually agree with that, well done Mr. Davies that supports your argument superbly... wait what was the question again?

The ability to marry instead of enter into a civil partnership is going to change the way sex education is taught? You mean if I get married I will have to have sex differently?

17. Emberstone

my maternal grandmother did not want me to be gay when she found out because in that moment, she realized that I would face intolerence. she is an open supporter to lgbt rights now, and it took adjusting to having a gay grandchild, but it was how others would treat me that seemed to worry her the most.

18. LiquidSwords

:lol:
    Exactly!

19. Hexagon

Bah. If parents don't want kids to be gay because they think its best for them, then surely they can see that if they are gay, giving them the option to marry is best for them. Its not like the existence of married gay people increase the chances of someone else's child to be gay.

20. LSunday

I mean, I guess it's true. Even parents who don't feel like they need grandchildren from their kids would always prefer their kids don't have to grow up in a marginalized group. It doesn't mean being gay has disappointed them; it just means that if they were choosing how my life were to unfold, I would have been straight so I didn't have to deal with all the hate towards me.