1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

50-year-old 6'6" transgendered basketball player makes college debut

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by sguyc, Dec 10, 2012.

1. sguyc

2. Ticklish Fish

correct link

EDIT:
    AW. :grin:

as for the comments.... the birth chromosome of xx or xy vs transgender argument still confuses me @_@

also.. some parents. your kids are in college, you're not worried about them drunk or wasted instead? lol

#2 Ticklish Fish, Dec 10, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  3. Hot Pink

The link redirects to the front page... Maybe they took the article down?

4. Greendalehumans

This is a really nice article. Some of those people are just plain mean and ignorant, but I'm glad that Gabrielle is happy now :slight_smile:

5. Hot Pink

I read about this on another website. I find it awesome that she wants to play basketball again and I support the school's decision to let her play on the women's team.

The comments are, of course, ridiculous. They're using the old argument that it's unfair for a trans woman to be on a women's team, even thought it isn't. Men are stronger and faster than women, right? Well, on average they are. Purely physically here, they have a point, but it's ignoring one crucial fact: hormones. Hormones reduce muscle mass almost immediately. Strength and stamina both decrease. Within under a year on hormones, the average trans woman is roughly the same as an average woman when it comes to strength and stamina. They're equals in sports.

People continue to use this argument to keep trans women out of sports, but they don't even try to enlighten themselves on the subject. It's frustrating because it just comes down to discrimination.

6. Bree

Exactly. The only advantages she might have are in height and pelvic structure, which may allow her to run faster. Not enough for grounds for discrimination.

7. Deaf Not Blind

^ i know scandinavian women, they scare me...like Vikings are they! cis-gender too. BIG girls! Should they be considered not feminine enough and banned from competitions because its unfair they are bigger then most men I know??