1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

England and Wales Gay Marriage proposals

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by qboy, Dec 11, 2012.

1. qboy

More information on the proposals has come out, hopfully to pass through Parliament through 2013 and coming law in 2014.

Basically

1. Same-sex couples will be able to get married, and gain the same rights as there opposite-sex counterparts

2. No Religious organisation or individual minister can be forced to marry same-sex couples.

3. Those religions which wish to offer same-sex marriage will need to opt-in

4. Amend the Equalities Act to prevent discrimination cases being bought against religious organisations/minister which don't permit same-sex marriage

5. Add specific legislation that makes same-sex marriage illegal in the CoE

6. Leave Civil Partnerships on the statue books, and continue to restrict them to same-sex couples.

Gay marriage plans offer 'quadruple lock' for opposed religious groups | Society | guardian.co.uk

On a slightly related topic - the 2011 census figures have been published today, showing that 4 million fewer people (in a growing population) identify as Christian, and now 6.4 million additional people in the population have "no religion" (up from 3 million in 2001) - 59% of the population now claim to be Christian, and 25% now claim to have no religion (and as high as 42% in Brighton and Norwich). The Muslim contingent growing by 1.6 million (now 5% of the total population).

2. Lewis

Isn't it also the case that the Church of England and church in Wales have banned same-sex marriages in all of their churches? I'm not sure what this means. So we can get married in any other church (if they opt-in for it) and we can get married in registry offices?

If so, I'm happy with that. Although I was christened Church of England, as long as I can get married instead of a civil partnership, it's all good.

3. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This legislation isn't really doing enough tbh. I mean, i get why they're limiting it's powers [pragmatic attempts to appease the back bench homophobes] but it's pointless when it will get through anyway.

4. qboy

Yeah - basically all that means is a CoE vicar (or whatever you call them) in favour of same-sex marriage can't conduct a "civil wedding" in CoE property.

Indeed - but the way I look at it is that within the last 15 years we've gone from having no rights to having pretty much equal rights (outside marriage) - in 15 years our generation (which is broadly in support) will be the one the church's need to attract and no doubt things will change (either "you must marry" or if you want you special rights you'll need to marry, or if you want bums on seats you'll have to change)....

5. zydrateaddict97

I'm glad for the way that gay rights have developed, and I like the the UK is allowing gay marriage and religious freedom (in not forcing people to marry samesex couples if they don't want to). I just really don't get why number 5 (" Add specific legislation that makes same-sex marriage illegal in the CoE") is happening. Apparently, the CoE wasn't told anything about this. I don't like the fact that the CoE doesn't get a chance to decide whether it wants to conduct samesex marriages. At least we're going in kind of the right direction.

6. qboy

It's the typical ConDem omnishambles rearing it's head again. Based on the governments recent performance it wouldn't surprise me if they accidentally outlawed hetrosexual marriage :bang:

The CoE and CoW do have a special place in the UK, so if it was felt that any one church needed more "protection" than others in it's rights to continue discrimination it would be them. After all they have been strongly opposed to same-sex marriage, and now they won't have to do it they are complaining that the law will mean they can't do. You can't have your cake and eat it.

Church of England and Church in Wales protest at gay marriage ban | Society | The Guardian