1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marriage Equality Update

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by stephenjack, Dec 11, 2012.

1. stephenjack

Latest news concerning marriage equality and gay rights this/last week:

In the UK: British Government to Legalize Same-Sex Marriage - ABC News

In Uruguay (it would be the second S. American country to legalize gay marriage, behind Argentina): Uruguay congress voting on gay marriage - San Jose Mercury News

In France: American Apparel promises aid in gay marriage fight in France | LGBT Weekly

In New Zealand:Gay Marriage: Familiar Faces Get Behind Marriage... | Stuff.co.nz and Sir Ian McKellen Calls On New Zealand To Legalize Gay Marriage - On Top Magazine | Gay news & entertainment

In Mexico: Experts: Mexico ruling opens door to gay marriage

Here in the USA: (Merck, Intel, and UPS all have stopped funding BSA now, Verizon is next on the list haha) Merck Pulls Boy Scouts Funding Over Anti-Gay Policy | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

sorry for any reposts guys...but hey, it's exciting news! (!)

2. Xeno

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's beginning to sound a lot like equality. (!)

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So.. me being me.. I read this to the tune of the song "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas".

It's great to see how far things have come in the past few months!!

4. J Snow

I thought that was the joke :confused:

5. The newest update with Merck really excites me. It makes me want to work there :slight_smile:.

6. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks for the update! I'm kinda curious what will happen with Uruguay. I love the country and I've been following their quest to legalize gay marriage for a while now. Hopefully it'll happen soon! :slight_smile:

7. Salazar

Unfortunately, in the UK, none of the parties will institute a whipped vote, but there still shouldn't be any trouble in the Commons. The Lords are another matter, in that some, if not all the Lords spiritual will try to block legislation, but that still shouldn't hinder progress, especially since we cannot be beaten to it by the French!

---------- Post added 16th Dec 2012 at 04:20 PM ----------

Tory, Labour and cross-bench Peers and MPs say Government is ignoring public ‘opposition’ to equal marriage - PinkNews.co.uk

Yeah. Still shouldn't have too much trouble :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. madi

Don't forget that in the 4 states in the U.S.A. that just voted on same-sex marriage all of them voted for it :slight_smile:

9. dph414

dph414 Guest

My home state of Ohio may have the issue of same sex marriage on the ballot in 2013. I sure hope so.

10. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Who is putting it on the ballot? I assume it would have to be the pro-equality side? Ohio would be a lot tougher battle to fight on the ballot than the states that voted this past November. Ohio already passed a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage and civil unions with 62% of the vote in 2004.

I think we should be weary of getting overconfident as a result of the recent victories. Maine, Maryland, Washington, and Minnesota are all relatively liberal 'blue' states, and marriage equality still underperformed President Obama by several points. And this was in a presidential election year, when liberal turnout is higher than it would be in an off-year like 2013. It will probably only backfire if we try to force re-votes on the issue in conservative states too quickly and then start suffering defeats at the polls again. Public opinion is shifting toward our side steadily but slowly.

11. stephenjack

I completely agree we should be careful not to bite off more than we can chew...i feel by 2015 equality will be the law of the land, the ENTIRE land.