For Michigan Residents

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by DhammaGamer, Dec 12, 2012.

1. DhammaGamer

The house has recently passed a bill that would allow hospitals, nursing homes, and other healthcare facilities to deny services to patients that they would deem inappropriate according to their religious beliefs. It has not yet been presented to the governor and he has not stated whether or not he would allow it to pass. Please contact Governor Snyder's office at (517)-373-3400 to voice your concerns regarding this bill.

PrideSource - BREAKING: Republican's Bill Attacks LGBTs, Women

2. Emberstone

already unconstitutional. hospitals federally cant deny services to patients on the matter of race, religion, ethnicity, gender, or sexual orientation/gender identity.

3. redstormrising

not exactly. sexual orientation/gender identity is not a protected class under federal law, so discriminating against LGBT people is not illegal unless state law makes it so.

4. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am dealing with my health issues right now, this is the last thing I need to hear

5. DhammaGamer

They are not able to deny emergency healthcare to someone for BEING queer, they can however deny specific forms of healthcare that they feel would be against their religious beliefs. For instance, I finish my SRS. I have a painful and life-threatening infection that is associated with the outcome of the surgery. I go to a local emergency room and the doctor refuses to assist me because he feels that such assistance would be in violation of his relgiious beliefs and I end up in critical condition without necessary medical care. Or in a different example, a young woman approaches a doctor and explains that she is going to get an abortion. The doctor agrees to see her and sets an appointment for the procedure. Now the hospital director discovers that the abortion is going to take place and exerts her authority to prevent the operation because it goes against her religious beliefs. This woman is then forced to seek alternative assistance because according to the new law only patients who are in need of "emergency" procedures may be properly directed and transported to a separate facility. Discrimination at its best.

6. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Blugh. For generally being a blue state, Michigan sure can be homophobic.

7. Gold Griffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    The Republicans seized control of the legislature and governor in 2010, they've just dealt a crippling blow to labor unions as well.

8. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I...I know...
    I live there...

I'm just consistently surprised by what goes on in our state government. Especially the new union limitations.

9. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Doesn't really surprise me much.

10. Emberstone

thought obamacare included protections for all minorities.