1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newt Gingrich recognizes inevitability of marriage equality

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Gold Griffin, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Gold Griffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yes, that Newt Gingrich.
    He may be a right-wing jerk, but he's no idiot, especially when it comes to politics. If Newt Gingrich is advising that the Republicans begin to embrace equality, then its a sign that the GOP needs to do so.

Could this be a sign of the conservative coalition breaking on this issue?

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's actually a very mature opinion, even for a politician. I'm all for the church making their own rules as they interpret from their holy books, but let them hold no power over those who don't choose to attend. It's unfortunate he implies an "If you can't beat them, then whatever" approach rather than true support, but hey, it's the result that counts.

Can we chalk this one up as a win? :slight_smile:

3. J Snow

So after the GOP steps down from the fight against LGB people, how long do you think it will take them to warm up to trans rights issues?

4. Kay

Kay Guest

I think he is the first Republican politician to wise up and realize the far right agenda is not working with the people. I can't be sure if he is really behind any of this but his statement says that he is trying to distance himself from the far right and move into a more centrist position. This is good for all of no matter why he has spoken out. For whatever reason he helps gay rights significantly.

5. barca

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I normally strongly disagree with Newt and can find his comments so repulsive at times, but he seems to be capable of these moments of maturity and reasonability...

I really hope some more conservatives in the near future can come out in support of this view, and its not just thought of as Newt making some crazy comment on his own.

6. theMaverick

I've always said that we should stop letting people get "married" by the Government. Any couple who wants to join themselves legally should be able to get a civil union, regardless of gender, and that civil union will confer upon the couple all the rights that are currently associated with marriage. If said couple wants to get married, then marriages should be ceremonies and blessings granted by the church, not the government. Then if a Church was accepting of gay and lesbians, then they could get married there, but if a Church didn't accept it, they wouldn't be forced to, everyone would get equal rights under the law, and people could still get married in church.

In short
    Government sanctioned = civil unions which any 2 people could get
    Church sanction = marriages which would be up to the church who they grant, but the marriage has no legal backing and grants no rights beyond the rights the couple receives via the civil union.

7. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I still don't like Newt Gingrich. I mean, this is a man who has single-handedly done more to set back the LGBT movement than just about anyone else so far. He's not saying he supports it, he's just saying he lost. Which we've all known for a long time. So, I really wish he'd slither back to whatever decrepit hole he came from and I hope he never darkens another headline again. His sister is a gay rights advocate and she was telling people during the primaries to vote for someone else, anyone but him. :rolle:

EDIT: I also think that the entire social platform of the Republican party is just utterly disgusting and anti-american, quite frankly. Republicans have used religion as a weapon to bash the gay community for decades, and now their "God" suddenly doesn't have much to say on the topic these days. It sickens me to watch republicans do a 180 on gay rights issues now that it's politically convenient to do so. Like rats on a sinking ship, with a chubby, doddering newt leading the way.

#7 Kidd, Dec 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2012
  8. kylo

Progress! Another step in the right direction :slight_smile:

9. Miz Purple

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I've always felt that yeah the governments should just give any 2 people their piece of paper with all their rights, and the ceremony should be left up the couple and then if they want to marry a church it is up to that church, If they will marry gays, if they dont t sucks but you still have all your rights .

10. redstormrising

sounds completely reasonable to me. the govt can't force the church to recognize gay marriage anyway, and i really have no interest in what the church thinks of me or my relationships. all i care is that the government grants me equal rights.

11. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good on Gingrich for once lol