1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It makes me sad that....

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by integrand, Dec 23, 2012.

1. integrand

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It makes me really sad that coming out is even an issue these days. The fact that people know it's something they have to go through means that there is still a social stigma associated with homosexuality/transgenderism/etc.

I just hope that some day in the near future there will no longer be all of this stigma, and saying "Mom, I'm gay" will be nothing more drastic than asking her to pass you the mashed potatoes at the dinner table.

Will we ever get there?? I would love to see that in my lifetime.

2. Ticklish Fish

Year 5000 after beta-droid aliens from galaxy B-Dr1LL invasion and 10 years war

3. integrand

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    oh come on!! you could at least TRY to give me some hope :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. Ticklish Fish

given how some countries are even more homophobic than the US, it will take some time... A lot of time.

also, why aren't those extreme-republicans and muslims friend? they both hate gays /off topic

5. integrand

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    because they dont like eachother's religions lol

6. Odahingum

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Even in societies where gays are not hated, you'd still have to come out as long as heteronormativeness is the default mindset. The moment people see you have a flat chest and beard stubble, they'll automatically assume you're interested in penetrating vaginas. It's just the way people have been raised ever since we jumped down from the trees.

7. MrHojalata98

It is sad but I'm really happy to be born at the time I was born. I've heard people talk about how hateful and untolerant ppl were before. And before is as little as 10 years ago. So yes it sucks that society doesnt wave rainbow flags but it has gotten a lot better. And for a some people here on EC coming out to their parents has been as no big deal as asking for mashed potatoes. So have hope, things are getting better for us

8. It is sad, but hopes are high. I think the following article has parallels with what this thread is going on about. Times are changing, so let's hope it comes sooner rather than later. The article was a very good read, and previously I had no idea where the impending DOMA argument in the Supreme Court originated.

NY plaintiff: Gay benefits 'bigger than marriage' - Yahoo! News

9. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We're getting there. Fifty years ago, even broaching the subject in a social setting was like coming out as a goat-sacrificing devil worshipper. It was just not done. Nowadays, while LGBT may not fully be accepted, it is at least acknowledged. And with the passing of the older generations with Y taking control of things, we're going to see blistering progress in the near future. Hell, it's already legal to marry your same sex in a number of states. It's only a matter of time until it's totally normal.