1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dan Savage

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by an0nchick, Dec 26, 2012.

1. an0nchick

I was watching this Dan Savage video on YT, and he said that he believes that bisexuality is real, but it's usually a phase. Will I become straight, hopefully? But, I'm still embarrassed about my same-sex attractions....What to do....I'm new to this out thing...

2. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Dan Savage is an idiot & a really shitty person in general.

3. an0nchick

Really? You don't like him? Why?

4. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Don't listen to Dan Savage. He's not very bright.

And Savage has a history of making remarks denigrating to any group other than wealthy white cis gay men, with shameless biphobia and transphobia. (Also he supported Bush's Iraq War, so he's been pretty darn wrong about things before. )

While it's great he helped start the 'It Gets Better' project, I neither like nor understand the fact that he enjoys such status as a spokesman for LGBTQ people in America. Nor do I understand why even heterosexuals write to him for sex advice.

5. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    He's misogynistic, transphobic, biphobic [as this thread obviously shows], fatphobic & racist.

6. an0nchick

LOL! I know! I've read Savage Love b4. Do these people have like no lives? Most of Savage's advice is no-brainer. I really looked up to Savage, but I was hurt by his video...oh well. Why do people think that bis don't exist? I'm starting think that a lot more people are bi than will admit. Still, most of the world population is straight.

7. I love Dan Savage :0. He's a hottie.

But more relevant to your question, there are many views on sexuality, including whether it is rigid or fluid. I think there is some fluidity in sexual orientation, and it can take some development. You can genuinely be attracted to one gender, and as Mr. Savage alluded to, you might find yourself genuinely interested in men and women, only to later go exclusively to one. I believe this can happen. However, I think that the argument that Mr. Savage is going for is that many people feint bisexuality when they are afraid to come out as exclusively homosexual. I think that is why bisexuals may be received with scorn by the gay community. Some people don't believe that it exists, and from what you've mentioned about Mr. Savage, he does believe it exists, but it is more transitionary than stationary.

8. an0nchick

Ah...Okay. This makes sense. Even if I married a man, (I'm a woman) would I still be bi? Every if I were married, I'd probably develop crushes on other women, maybe men?
    Thanx! I wish people weren't so judgmental and assume the worst.

9. If you marry a man that you love and develop crushes on other women, you would be bisexual.

10. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The 'It Gets Better' project is hardly great, given that it almost entirely made up of white bourgeois people. Which, sadly, seems to be the state of the larger LGBTQ rights movement.

11. an0nchick

Okay. That seems like something that will happen in my life. However, I doubt that I'd get married. I'm not the most compatible person.

---------- Post added 26th Dec 2012 at 06:18 PM ----------

Really? I've about it on Glee, a show that I no longer watch cuz it's getting stupid and stereotypical. Let's talk more!

12. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

In what I've seen and read, I think Dan Savage is a complete asshole. Everytime I see one of his videos I instantly get annoyed.

13. an0nchick

LOL! Do you think bisexuality exist and is not a phase?

---------- Post added 26th Dec 2012 at 07:24 PM ----------

Dang! LOL! How ironic that LGBT movement guy is transphobic.

14. I do. It's true. Bisexuality is real and is not a phase. It might be a phase for some but not for everyone.

15. Hexagon

If bisexuality is a phase then so is life :slight_smile:

16. an0nchick

Nice quote! That's what I'm trying to explain to my mom...but, IDK. I think, now, she gets it.

17. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Well because Dan Savage is mostly just a LG movement guy. I don't know why so many people who don't believe bisexuality exists or harbor transphobic sentiments still use the "LGBT" acronym. "LGBT" has just become another way to say "gay" in some people's minds I suppose.

18. LSunday

Dan Savage in many ways is similar to the LGBTetc. movement's version of Malcolm X: What he ends up accomplishing is generally good and helpful, but his reasons and beliefs for doing so are not something we're going to look back on and be proud of.

(It's not a perfect metaphor or comparison, I know, but I hope my intent comes through with it)

19. Bradley

I listen to Dan Savage's podcast every week, if he said that bisexuality doesn't exist, he was either taken out of context or misspoke. He has experts all the time on his show to talk about bisexuality, and although he is a bit outspoken, he has done entire episodes on bisexuality and has never once claimed it is not real.

Bisexuality is an attraction to both sexes; that is, it is a sexual orientation. If you settle for a relationship with one sex, you don't stop becoming bisexual.

Science shows that sexuality in women is more fluid in women than in men, so you may become more comfortable with one side of your sexuality over time.

Dan Savage is very often attacked for absurd things. For example, people recently attacked him for using the word twink, because somehow that is now an offensive term. Whenever you have a large audience on such a misunderstood topic, you will offend people no matter what you say.