1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did you know this disgusting piece of information?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by justgowithit, Dec 27, 2012.

1. justgowithit

More than seventy countries make being LGBT illegal, and the punishments include multi-decade long prison sentences, life sentences, and execution. That's right, in certain countries you can be killed for who you love. These countries include but are not limited to: Sudan
    Iran
    Mauritania
    Saudi Arabia
    Uganda
    Yemen
    Somalia
    Nigeria
    I am very depressed by this. I feel like I am worthless because 8+ countries think I deserve to die. Just for a small part of being me. THIS ISN'T RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!

2. That's horrible. This just made me dislike the Middle East more. :frowning2: But still. That's how the world works. Because it's legal to execute people for who they love, it's legal to smoke crack (limited to a few states) but illegal to love. Or just express your gender. Now I'm kind of depressed.

3. justgowithit

I know...I almost shouted "NO FUCKING FAIR!!" to my entire class after I read it.

4. ohhsnapple

ohhsnapple Guest

As an interesting piece of information, it's perfectly okay to be transgendered in Iran.

5. justgowithit

Hmm. Just what my book and a few websites said, though it didn't say transgendered specifically.

6. I guess I learn something new everyday. But wait... you can't be gay in Iran, but you can be transsexual? :eek:

7. wilted

A part of Arizona where it actually snows!
    That is just awful! I can't believe that it is illegal to be gay in more than 70 countries!

8. Hugs to LGBT in those countries. (*hug*)

9. Zontar

I hope you realize it hasn't even been ten years since you could get life in prison for sodomy in parts of this country.

10. madi

It is terrible that it is punishable by death to be LGBT in some places, but your comment about the middle east did disturb me. The middle east is going through a huge cultural shift at the moment and what people need to realize is that just because that is the law there, doesn't mean the people there like it. In many places in the middles east girls are shot on their way to school. I feel bad for people living their honestly. Historically that area of the world has given us so much in the development of libraries, universities, and mathematics. I feel that the social inequalities that exist there now are terrible, but that they are on there way to being changed.

11. J Snow

Yeah, isn't it shocking when you see a place where the transphobia isn't as bad as the homophobia? Its like Bizzaro Earth.

12. darlig ulv

I remember Ahmadinejad once made a comment in a talk he gave at (forgive me if I'm wrong) NYU in response to a question on LGBT in Iran, that there "are no gays in Iran". Well of course, because you hanged them all from construction cranes. About those cranes, I feel that wasting them on hanging "political enemies" is a little counter-productive, do something useful with them, like demolishing Mosques that promote hate, or hanging someone who deserves it, I could name just a few deserving Imams.

13. Miz Purple

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yeah this makes me so mad , just as mad at the story about guy in Virginia getimg fired from his job coaching volleyball at a university because he's gay,the team under his coach is one of the best in the country and they fired him because he's gay saying " we wanted to hire a person who better represented us " better represented you, isn't it just your job to be an excellent school I would think. He was a representation of that , I guess it's just proof that we will never stop fighting for our rights even if by some miracle DOMA is thrown out and same sex marriage is made legal in all the states , we still have to fight for discrimination laws in all 50 states and adoption laws in all the states and a hell of a lot more things for the transgendered in all 50 states, seems we will never stop fighting.

#13 Miz Purple, Dec 28, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  14. Mykayla

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It's things like this that make me wish I was never born and was born in a few hundred years when anyone who falls under the LGBT is respected as a person, the same way African Americans and women are treated now compared to then. One can dream, I suppose.

15. Draco

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The better point to make would be thank god we live in the countries we do. The countries that not only respect but stand up for our rights. We may have struggles and speed bumps along the way but at least i can go out on a date without the fear of getting me head chopped off. Everyone may not agree with the people we are but i like to believe when push comes to shove, they got our backs.

16. Respect to the citizens. I'm talking about the government.

17. Adarya

He has a good point, you know.

18. Bispaniard17

Why does it matter to people who we love it's our life style and choice god made us in his image and that us how we live he gave us free will, if god flooded the world because of sin to wipe out diseases why didn't he wipe out homosexuality, because it's not a disease but a choice to live.

19. I think gay sex is still illegal in Montana and three other states?... Not completely sure.

20. MerBear

i have read this a while back and was so pissed. it's bullshit , it honestly is , that's why we shouldn't give money to country's like these