1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay harry potter?!

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by unsuspecting, Dec 31, 2012.

1. unsuspecting

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh yeah. Being a pretty serious Potter fan, I knew this years ago. I think it's a very realistic portrayal, because homophobes have enjoyed reading about Dumbledore for ten years, and now have to deal with the fact that being gay doesn't make him any less awesome.

3. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    he never acted gay at all in any if the books. basically all she's done is say 'oh btw, Dumbledore is gay'. so he hardly counts tbh

4. SunSparks

The article is from Oct 20, 2007! xD But I knew for a few years now - although I've only watched the movies and I'm not exactly a "serious" fan - not to say I didn't enjoy it either.

5. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It doesn't matter if he didn't "act gay." Not every gay man exudes stereotypical traits. He's a remarkable gay character because he not only is a complete bad-ass but because his entire story arc doesn't revolve around his sexuality. It doesn't come into play because there are far more important things going on, and the books are about Harry Potter and the things that happen to him, not Dumbledore's personal life.
    Also, you might want to read into his relations with Grindelwald a bit more. His sexuality is hardly an afterthought.

6. TheUglyBarnacle

Exactly my thoughts.
    :eusa_clap

7. PatyR

I'm not a fan of the books/movies/whateverisonsale of Harry Potter (I like them, though), but not too long ago I read an article that said so. I agree with Ethan.

8. IrisM

This. Also, at his age if he wasn't quite pursuing it as much it wouldn't be really uncommon, as lots of older people become less romantically active over time.

That and when you have some kind of murder crazed maniac out to hurt kids and you run a school it kind of demands a bit of job related focus.

9. Emberstone

I was hoping this was about Danial Radcliffe coming out, and professing his undying love for me!!!

FILTHY TEASES!!!

I would polish his wand, and ride his broomstick, and tame his dragon, and stir his cauldron, and beat his bludgers, and expecto his patronus!!!

10. ForceAndVerve

Heard about this when it "came out". At first I was like :confused: then I was like Hmmmmm...

Personally I always saw Dumbledore as Asexual. Same goes for Gandalf in LOTR. You are never explicitly told what his sexuality is.

Personally I never did like the movie portrail of Dumbledore. I had him made out to look more like how the books actually described him which I think this illustrator summed up brilliantly:

[​IMG]

Sort of like an old, slim Santa Claus.

11. Given To Fly

I don't think I want to think of Dumbledore or Gandalf as any kind of sexual. No offence intended to our older members, but ewww.

Sidetrack - Weirdly, My automatic spellchecker thingy is ranting at me over the name 'Gandalf', but it's perfectly happy to accept 'Dumbledore'. What gives?

12. returning

Was that supposed to be suggestive?:confused:

13. Gen

Gen

Dumbledore was fabulous *Jazz Hands*. But, seriously. He certainly was never described/portrayed as very masculine, much at all, in the books, and when he became excited about things he was often much more whimsical than rightfully natural. He was a fun character, but not my favorite....

Bellatrix For Life!!

14. Aniot

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I loved this one xD :lol:

I thought that too but unfortunately...

15. TheUglyBarnacle

Dan Rad (What I call Mr Radcliffe) is a Straight Ally. He's actually said: "You don't have to be gay. You just have to be human." so I'm a pretty sure he likes girls (despite all of his jokes with Rupert Grint/Tom Felton).

I am a devoted fan. XD

16. FemCasanova

Hm... I did not guess it on beforehand, but when she said it, it did make total sense.

He had one serious "deep friendship", which caused him to stray far into "the bad boy zone", neglect his sister, almost giving up a potential career, etc... He seemed really smitten with Grindewald. Almost a little obsessed, kind of like people get sometimes, the type who fall intensely for someone, true love and all that jazz. After that went wrong, and their "friendship" ended in a disaster (death of his sister), he never got married, has no ex-girlfriends that anyone knows off, has been living for his job, and his hobbies. He still has friends, in his own way, but he has a wall up through the books which makes it obvious this is not someone for deep and trusting relationships, of any kind. I don`t think he would have been like this, if it was just a friend. If it is a friend, maybe you`d blame yourself, but imagine if it`s your love for someone you should not have loved (this was back in the 1940s) in the first place. If your first true love (and a forbidden one at that) leads to the death of a family member, I would think the road to lonely hermit who never tries to take that path again is pretty short.

He dresses in bright purple and pink, is a great dancer and ... oh, right, he is kind of awesome! So, I say he`s pretty gay :wink:

17. Emberstone

shouldn't we celebrate a character who was deep down so intrinsictly good, that even with his self-professed flaws, stood against evil, and intolerance. the fact that he is gay doesn't change who he was and what he worked so hard to do. infact, him being gay is a godsend, because he represents a positive portrayal of gay characters.

18. Niqk

Niqk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I kind of guessed :lol:

On topic

[​IMG]

xD

19. Emberblaze

I don't think this is new actually, my sister told me about this like six years ago maybe?

20. Meropspusillus

In my opinion Dumbledore's gayness fits way too closely with a very catholic idea of homosexuality. Dumbledore fell in love with a man in his youth, and this love led him into sin and evil. Then, he remained celibate for the rest of his life. He's a great character for many reasons, but I don't think he's a very inspiring gay character.