1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sexually gay but ethnically straight?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by LiquidSwords, Dec 31, 2012.

1. LiquidSwords

Got linked to this article from another forum.

Nate Silver On Being Gay After Being Named Out Magazine's 'Person Of The Year'
    Nate Silver On Being Gay After Being Named Out Magazine's 'Person Of The Year'

The fuck is he talking about? I thought he's supposed to be smart?

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is quite a load of gibberish. He does know that "ethnically" means "relating to his regional ancestry," right? I'm pretty sure that means jack-all in the face of who he likes to kiss.

So much for "Person of the Year." That guy can't even make a coherent thought.

3. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    He has a point. I like women.. I have sex with women. But I still hesitate to call myself bisexual or lesbian.. just because I don't relate to the lesbian culture. I have nothing in common with lesbians. I feel like bisexuals are often pushed out of the lesbian community.. so why try so hard to be part of a community where you're not even wanted? Gay culture is overrated anyway. I say f*** it. I have sex with women, but I'm not a lesbian, end of.

4. Gen

Gen

Oh Please. I'm so sick of people talking about how much they dont relate to the "Gay Community". This is about as logical as me refusing to admit my half African American background because I am inteligent. Surely, I am the only bright person with African American relation. :/

I do not get along with other LGBT individuals because I am partially feminine or anointed by the heavens. I am patient enough to not let someone's appearance, femininity, masculinity, mannerism, or dress convince me that I can assume who they are on the inside. After all, that is where compatibility and connections are made...

5. Jonimarie

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    OMG ... I am sick of the labels. Does it matter what the hell anyone calls themselves? Do I have to define myself as bi, gay, straight or hispanic? I like what I like and I want what I want. Ehhh ... you now what call me whatever the hell you like, cuz I'm done. Just say you like guys and be done ... next topic please Mr. Silver.

---------- Post added 31st Dec 2012 at 02:52 PM ----------

Exactly ... "you don't relate to the gay community"? what the hell does that even mean. The gay community consists of what? Are you a guy that likes guys? - well then you can relate to the gay community. There is no prerequisite, no one is gonna revoke your gaycard for not liking musicals or shopping.

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gasp! They can revoke your gay card? :eek: Lol, wouldn't that be hilarious though?

Guy 1: "Will you go out with me?"

Guy 2: "Maybe. How do I know you're for real? I'm gonna need to see your gay card."

Guy 1: "But, but... they took it away after I said I didn't like shopping!"

Guy 2: "GTFO."

7. Jonimarie

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes - but you'll be okay if you marry another gay man before they deport you. (!)

8. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Nate Silver is a 'numbers' guy.

9. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Could someone explain to me this summary of Silver's views? I just don't get this:

"Silver says that he supports sames-sex marriage, but "worries that growing acceptance of gays will dent our capacity to question broader injustice," according to Out's Aaron Hicklin."

What does that mean???

10. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Easy for you to say. I'm sure you haven't been discriminated against by other lesbians.. I have. Lesbians are especially nasty to bisexuals and feminine lesbians. I don't feel like I belong in the gay/lesbian community. And trust me.. there's a certain amount of homophobia and small mindedness even in the lesbian community. I have sex with women but don't consider myself lesbian.. they don't like femme lesbians or bisexuals, why would I want to be part of a community that doesn't like "my type"?

And I find it incredibly upsetting that you can't even put yourself in my shoes. Even though YOU think all of the gay community is perfect doesn't mean I do. Some people actually have mixed experiences in the gay/lesbian community.

11. Kyllani

I can get behind what Sokk is saying. I've been on the receiving end of such discrimination. I'm not saying that I don't relate to the gay community. Rather, they don't relate to me apparently. I always felt a part of the community during high school, where 95% of my friends were gay or bisexual. Then I reached the dating world and every woman I tried to interact with acted like I had the plague when they found out I was bi and not a lesbian.

Maybe you're not gonna revoke my gay card, but you're gonna ridicule me for even having one? No thank you.

12. Gen

Gen

Hold on, you are missing my point. I never said 'accept the gay community because its all sugar and rainbows'. I never even said you had to be a part of the gay community. (And neither Joni). Though to dismiss the words that may describe because you havent had great experiences with the members of that group isnt the right approach.

You shouldnt peg someone as being as inconsiderate or simple minded because they have given an opinion that you may not fully understand yet. You dont know what I have been through as far as discrimination in regards to the gay community or any other community. Though I am not going to make a sob story out of this, but anyone is welcome to ask about it personally.

My point is, Lesbian, Gay, Transgender, Caucasian, African-American, Mexican etc. These are not titles for exclusive members of a fan club. Common interest is not necessary, or even technically plausible. However, you should not allow anyone to run you away from what you are. You are speaking with such fervor, as if you are aware of the opinions of the majority of 'Lesbians'. To which I go back to my example, because that is no different than me going to the nearest Ghetto and thinking 'Oh dear, I'm just going to leave out my African side. I'll just claim my French and Native American now'. That is not an accurate representation of all African-Americans.

And even if it was, I would let the opinions or actions of others deter me from being who I am. If you chose to give up on the Lesbian community, that is your decisions. But you cannot claim that those who disagree are being unreasonable. If anything you should claiming who you are even louder. Show them that everyone is not exactly like them, and that you are strong enough to face that.

13. Miz Purple

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    The gay community is just that. People who are gay yes there are a lot of guys that love shopping and musicals but I see that as their personality and I interests, not the gay community it's self. And bisexuals are not whores even the ones who sleep around they don't sleep around and cheat because they are bisexual they sleep around and cheap because that's who they are some people can't get tied down , but straight men do the same everyone does it,so far lesbians to want us out of their site as soon as they hear bisexual is wrong , you need to take everyone on a case by case basis and not assume just because someone is bi that they will cheat on you, and to not hint that because someone leaves its cuz they wanted a guy more, take a look at your self ask yourself what went wrong in the relationship because that's really what the problem is ,well at least it is for true real 50/50 bisexuals .im just so sick of being treated like a piece of shit by lesbians and gays , when they should be the most loving and excepting.For fucks sake straight people are more excepting of my then gay people are, I find that to be really fucking messed up.

14. Strange

To be honest this is the precise point - the first time I came out this guy I was seeing seemed to think it was some sort of special club where you had to meet certain specific criteria or you weren't proper gay - I thought are you for real?! Needless to say that didn't last long.

So, yeah, some gay people seem to think you need to tick boxes to be gay. Its not like do you like (only) the same sex? Yes, right thats the first step... no its not the first step - its the only step.

Gay culture to me is: I like guys and I'm male - whoopey-do, its not like hard to join. (pun unintentional)

#14 Strange, Jan 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  15. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What you're relating seems like an extremely common experience for multisexual women. One of my friends was complaining bitterly that she's always read as straight because of her femininity. None of my bisexual friends can say they've not at some point encountered unacceptable behavior from gay or lesbian folks.

One of the things that was made pretty clear to me the more I came out and started to move in queer circles is that LGBT folks fall into pretty strict and rigid hierarchies around body types and gender presentation. Politically, there's like zero percent solidarity amongst us. Trans* people only get perfunctory acknowledgement, and their political issues are hardly ever taken up unless they also benefit LGB people. Multisexual people are treated as cowards, or else unethical, promiscuous trash. (And it's been really illuminating to read people's unapologetic and unrepentant hatred on Empty Closets. I can honestly say that I've never had a negative experience with homophobia that even came close to the hurtful things people have written here...)

What I recommend is making sure you are heard and add a lot of criticism to LGBT spaces, because often times people think that wanting to mix genitals with someone of the same gender identity causes them to have a magical, above-average capacity for empathy.

We don't walk on water.

16. highndry

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ^^ well said.