1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

christianity and catholic

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Iceman110295, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Iceman110295

different religion do different things that why i was wondering does any one know the view between christianity and catholic on gays and if they should get married

2. Kay

Kay Guest

Catholic's are against it. They are against any form of artificial birth control as well.

3. Eric

The church itself has taken a very firm anti-marriage equality position, but if I remember correctly there have been polls that show that Catholics by and large support marriage equality.

4. Salazar

Yeah, I can tell you that most Catholics support civil partnerships, at least. I was talking to my school chaplain about how the churches attitude to homosexuality seems so archaic, and he said that he didn't necessarily agree with the church. This, of course, means that he supports it, but he can't actually say it because while in school he has to support the church's position. I don't count myself as a Catholic anymore, especially after this Christmas, where the pope and his buddies decided that gays were their target again.

5. Iceman110295

6. Salazar

I, personally, no longer feel the need for a god. I'm a pretty firm agnostic. If there is a god, surely he'd be evolved beyond the need for praise and worship?

7. Iceman110295

wow really didnt see it like that

8. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Christianity = Catholics + Protestants + Orthodox Christians.

If god is good then he won't condemn us for not worshiping him, merely for knowingly committing "evil" acts.
    He can't be good and Omnipotent as evil exists in the world.
    If he is Omnipotent then he is either uninvolved or evil, either he again doesn't care or is undeserving of worship.
    Ergo, worship of a god is pointless because he either doesn't care whether or not you do, or he should not be worshiped.

my personalized version of the Epicurean argument (mine does not argue the existence but rather the nature of god).

The final possibility is that he doesn't exist and that worship is, again, pointless.

#8 Byron, Jan 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  9. Mykayla

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So, this God who slaughters 40 children with bears for calling a prophet (or whatever) bald, puts temptation in front of people just to screw with them, commits the largest genocide in history, somehow gets a guy to collect and fit two of EVERY LAST INSECT AND ANIMAL ON EARTH ON A BOAT, ignores the starving people around the world in favour of watching you masturbate, allows people to suffer and die, allows his name to be used by bigots, gives you free will but if you don't do what he is he sends you to hell, needs constant funding, allows child rapists in his church, lets dictators rise to power, needs constant worship and praise, doesn't reveal himself just to fuck with us some more and then sends us to hell for not believing in him is deserving of an ounce of my time? Even if he did exist, he's an asshole, why should I waste my time giving this guy worship? I'll go become a sun worshiper instead, at least all it gives me is a mild sunburn once in a while. To quote George Carlin, "This is not what should be on the resume of a supreme being, this sounds like the office intern with a bad attitude."

10. Deaf Not Blind

kinda hate my God i see?
    ever consider the bad guy could be the Devil?

---------- Post added 3rd Jan 2013 at 01:02 AM ----------

well, i read that the Catholics do accept that some are gay, but they are required to abstain from their attraction and be perhaps celibate. i read a Catholic document not a newspaper write up on it.

I am not Catholic but I try to find facts on all different denominations of Christianity, and I also will check into some of them I conceder cults as well.

MOST churches will say homosexuality is not to be performed as it is in the Holy Bible to refrain from that action and other sexual acts beyond a straight married monogamous couple. There are a few denominations who have said otherwise more recently if you don't know and would like more info we can do it!

How an organization signs it...for or against...or in some cases saying it is not even real...does not mean the pastor or priest of a specific church temple or diocese will feel same way. Bascially how a preacher goes so goes the church...this is the actual meaning of church, a group of Believers like a family who worship together.

Also, just because a head pastor or main priest says something does not mean all the congregation agrees either...for or against. It is like ANY group, a classroom or an office. Humanity is variety, expect a lot of differences of opinions. If you are seeking some kind of place of worship that will not shun or try to change you, their are some, and there are others who may not say gay is good, but will not hate you and kick you out.

11. Mykayla

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

No, I'm not a fan of your God. Not that I have a problem with you believing in said God, just my stance on said God is less...positive. And, in regards to the devil (if I did believe in him as well), he is a bad guy, yes. But, that doesn't make God's actions okay. Take, for example, if you had two candidates for president. One would save the economy but would take away your rights and make you slaves, the other would run the economy into the ground, make you and many others lose their jobs and fall into poverty but you get to keep your rights. Just because one's bad does not excuse the (hypothetical, in this case) actions of the other.

Also, if this God really did write the Bible (through influencing prophets and Gospel writers), he's even more of an asshole. Saying women can't teach men? Saying to stone your wife if she is not a virgin on your wedding night?

So, in short, no, I don't like the God you believe in. Or any other God, for that matter. But, if you want to believe in one, good for you, I suppose. I just don't and think he's a jerk.

12. Garou

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm so glad you separated the two, but that's another topic.

Anyway, I'm fairly certain both are against it *if* they stick to the bible. But don't quote me on that, since I find Catholicism tends to make it up as they go (again, another topic for another time, sorry).

On the protestant side, don't get me started on the 'prosperity' preachers.

13. Iceman110295

reading all this i kind of get the picture on rights for gay
    and
    god didn't put on this earth for no reason maybe he put us here as gay to change things in the church since some of the teaching are crypt .
    and some of things in the bible are not true for intense
    god said he wont put more than you can bare
    but if you can bare the struggles than why would you ever got to him if you can handle it yourself.
    some of the teaching are from other people that why the word in red are from god in and the black are from other people.

the reason i believe in god is too help me with my life so i wont be alone and hope full one day i could change the bible were gay can have right.
    and deaf not blind can you send info the right of gays

14. Deaf Not Blind

I love him...so I guess I just know him better.

---------- Post added 3rd Jan 2013 at 02:37 AM ----------

Dude, I like all u said. Nicely put.

:slight_smile:

I do hope I can be a positive shining light to both the Queers and the Churches so that one day both can lay down their nukes and dukes and live as one.

---------- Post added 3rd Jan 2013 at 02:38 AM ----------

Oh! hahaha! Yeah, I think you and I could have fun discussing it privately off the threads! :grin: I know what you mean here.

15. Kay

Kay Guest

Your spirituality is your own. You can go to a church or not and still have a relationship with your god. If you would chose to go back to the Catholic Church to help you along that path it is up to you and you have my best wishes. You have the same wishes if you decided to follow your god from the living room chair. Faith is personal and for me I don't care to have a middle organization telling how and what to believe.
    I left the church system years ago when my orientation was called sinful.

16. Iceman110295

there are youth church out there like Eastridge Youth in my town i went there yesterday and they told me that half of there church is gay since of there church wont exspet them.
    so if you don't like going to church you should find a youth

17. Greendalehumans

This really depends on the church. Each church has their own views on issues. The Catholic Church is against gay marriage.

18. Most Christians don't allow gay marriage but some do like

1. Episcopalians
    2. Metropolitan Community Church
    3. United Church of Christ
    4. Quakers
    5. Unitarian Universalists

But Catholics don't marry gays.

19. Emberstone

the vatican (a political body) is against gay marriage, but majority of catholics are for it. an even higher majority of catholics support birth control also.

There has always been a vast disconnect between the vatican and the people because the vatican is nothing more than a power structure that seeks to break every thing jesus said not to do.

20. J en

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think that all depends allot on how you interpret the bible. If we're talking Christianity in general, they follow a holy book that (and there's no way of getting around this by suggesting misinterpretation) very clearly states that sleeping with the same gender is wrong.
    When you get down to the nitty gritty of the different types of Christianity it all becomes a little hazy. Some attempt to follow it to the last word (and end up taking allot of stick for it), namely Catholicism, whilst others pick and choose the bits that suit them best.

It's all a bit messy really...