1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Church of England votes to allow gay bishops...

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Hexagon, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Hexagon

...or so I hear on the TV. My slightly pleasant surprise is replaced by good old apathy and cynism when, three seconds later, the news reader concludes with "As long as they remain celibate".

No, I was right the first time. Why do we even bother?

2. Given To Fly

3. RGuy

The CoE really seems to be in a mess. They won't allow women to become bishops but will allow gay men to as long as they essentially become asexual and repent their past gayness. Yeah that really makes sense! Not.

They need to decide if they're going to stick to their C19th bigoted beliefs and please a small and shrinking group of traditionalists in society or if they're going to move into the C21st and adapt to modern social values of equality and tolerance (the very thing I thought Christians were meant to show) and allow anyone who wants to to become a bishop, rather than this trying to please everyone and actually pleasing no-one approach they've got at the moment.

4. Kay

Kay Guest

They can't monitor the bedroom activities of their Bishops and so on. Celibacy in a church is based on trust not proof. The Catholic scandals over sexual activity in the US tells us that much.

5. FruitFly

A step is a step. It may not be the great big step people want, but it's a step in direction we want the Church of England to go in. Well, some of us. I do not expect them to make a sudden "women and gays welcome, no restrictions!" type move. Little steps, one foot in front of the other.

6. Better than nothing. It's progress, if you ask me. Although, how would they know if they do have sexual relationships with the same gender?...

7. Hexagon

Obviously, they can't actually expect to successfully police people's bedroom habits. But that, in my opinion, isn't the point. The point is that there is really no change in their attitudes. You know what kind of message this sends out to all the kids? Gay=bad. If you're gay, so should never have sex. Feel bad about yourself. And it is, essentially, (because who actually expects them to be celibate?) a policy that requires gay bishops to nueter themselves for the 'privilege' of becoming a bishop. And i think it is comparable to letting women become bishops, but only if they cut out their sex organs.

So no, I don't think its a step in the right direction.

8. Strange

Ah, the church, religion... one of those big reasons why so many gays commit suicide, and one of the reasons I'd like religious organisations to be outlawed - how many other businesses can you refuse to employ a homosexual on the grounds of belief - every other company out there can be taken to court, but not religious institutions?

Hell, I'd prosecute the Pope if I could.

I mean, really, how is this different than that gay couple who pursued (and won) a case against religious (homophobic) B&B owners.

And the whole biggie re this is the fact they will allow celibate gays to do so, when in a civil partnership... what if they are not in a civil partnership - what if they are single (and out there) - do they have to wear a electronic tag like criminals do? So the church can spy on them.

Ban religion!

9. I must disagree. Everyone has the right to worship or believe in something, however, the government should not solely base laws off of strict religious laws from the bible/torah/quran/other religious books, as many peple do not agree with any of those laws, and should not be entitled to follow them.

10. DhammaGamer

In the US there is no federal protection for LGBT people in the workplace or in seeking housing. Most states (incuding my own) have no protections either. My state's governor is even pushing to outlaw such protections in the state of michigan at a city level.

11. Ben

Ben

It's an okay move. The CofE as a whole was already quietly okay with gay bishops, so long as their sexuality was kept hush-hush. It's only been a problem when the bishop involved was openly gay and attracting lots of attention because of it.
    The official line of celibacy will probably be much the sameā€”don't ask, don't tell.

Not great, but they can't really be expected to progress any quicker.

12. Lebowski45

Usually I'd bemoan the outdated views but say that these hypocritical, ridiculous institutions can do what they like in their stuck-in-the-past, dwindling, out-of-touch clubs.

However, the Church of England is an established church. They have bishops in our houses of parliament and our head of state is the "Supreme Governor". Why do we continue to put up with their sexist, homophobic nonsense? It's time to disestablish the church, abolish the monarchy and make the second chamber electable.

13. Hexagon

YES. This. Perfect. Lets put the royal family in a council house. :grin:

14. Lebowski45

Haha, I like your thinking :grin:

15. Hexagon

Thats from a book actually. Republicans win the elections, and they take control of the royal family's assets.

16. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Gay bishops are still not allowed in conservative Norway. I hate this shithole (excuse my language but I hate this country). LGBT people are still not allowed to get married in the church either, even though gays have been allowed to get married here for like 5 years now. It sucks :frowning2:

17. LiquidSwords

This.

And this.