1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Marriage & Abortion?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Sacha, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Sacha

Sacha Guest

Why is it that people always lump gay marriage and abortion together? The two are completely different things. Terminating a pregnancy is in no way similar to two men/two women getting married and to be honest, I really think it hurts our cause. Personally I am pro-choice (to a degree) but I think there are a lot of people out there who would be open to gay marriage and gay rights in general but because we're so often lumped together with abortion as "social issues" they see it as automatically negative. Almost like "ohh I can't agree with the democrats on anything else therefor there MUST be a good reason my fellow republicans against same-sex marriage."

Thoughts?

2. returning

From what you've said, my thoughts are exactly the same as yours

3. Pro-choice and LGBT rights are seen as Left wing issues
    same reason that there was animals rights activist and anti-circumcision activist at the last pride here in Indiana.

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe I'm more liberal than most, but I'm pro choice. Not necessarily pro abortion, as it is a "Plan Z" if all else fails. But we have enough unwanted children born every day, and a fetus is not a baby as far as I'm concerned; they do not get the rights of existing people.

But it should go without saying that everybody with a brain in their head should come around to supporting gay marriage.

5. Sacha

Sacha Guest

Okay, first of all the fetal stage begins at 8 weeks so what you're telling me is that a fetus at the 6-9 month gentational period has the same rights (or lack there of) as a 2 month old fetus? This is why I am so reluctant to call myself "pro-choice"... because people who are pro-choice are JUST as ignorant about embryology and human developement as someone who is pro-"life".

Second of all being against gay-marriage is not a matter of intelligence. It's that people against gay marriage know a lot but everything they know is wrong and based on a fictional story.
    That being said I did not post this to argue about abortion, I came here to ask people if they agree with the idea that gay-marriage and abortion being lumped together has a negative effect .

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't elaborate so far because the topic was about the connection of the two issues rather than just abortion, but here goes:

I am still against late-term abortion, especially since it's already illegal. However, the fetus at earlier stages has more in common with tadpoles than with humans, and arguably less sentience. I look at it this way-- if somebody had killed me then, I'd not have the mental capacity to object. That cluster of neurons is smaller than a grain of rice.

Of course the line between "part of the mother with the potential to be a human" and "independent human" is incredibly fuzzy. But if we draw the line far enough back in the pregnancy while keeping the practice legal, I'm happy.

#6 Argentwing, Jan 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  7. jvn95

They are both negative things to a lot of people out there.
    I do not think they should be next to each other because it makes the marriage equality seem like it goes hand in hand with abortion. And it shouldn't.

8. SomeNights

Hello fellow hoosier! lol and I agree it's because people often associate them because of political stance and most of the church's stance on the issues.

9. Danielle

Danielle Guest

I have never seen the issues being lumped together.

10. SkyDiver

Yes! This! My thoughts exactly.

11. Sacha

Sacha Guest

I don't even see how that's possible. Have you ever watched political debate?

12. Danielle

Danielle Guest

From the way you worded your original post in sounded like you were talking about pro gay and pro choice people but I will rephrase what I said.

I have never seen a pro gay rights or pro choice group lump the two together and if they have they have the political sense of a gnat. I have seen those opposes to both gay rights and abortion lump them together but there is nothing our side can do about that apart from educate those who are stupid enough to believe the two are lumped together.

13. They're both issues that are opposed by the religious right.

14. Kay

Kay Guest

Religion. They touch the sensitivities of the church crowd. Abortion is never mentioned in the bible. and LGBTQ issues are never once mentioned in the new testament. If it were such a big deal you would think Jesus would have commented. LOL They just have a problem because they don't like it and so blame god.

15. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Abortion is far more important than gay marriage tbh. I'd definitely rather have legal, safe abortion & no gay marriage, than have gay marriage & have abortion be illegal.

16. Eatthechildren

^THIS!
    Like, gay marriage is good and everything (I dislike marriage as an institution, but moving on...) but I don't like when people act like it's the end all of the gay rights movement :/ Or that it's the only right we don't have.

17. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The reason for the link between opposition to abortion and opposition to marriage equality is that social authoritarians (SA) see liberalization in these areas as a way of making sexuality safer for people. SAs don't like sex, and they don't want other people enjoying it. Their strategy is to implement as many barriers as possible. In the case of marriage equality, it's simply that the hate the entire array of same-sex attraction (remember, SAs don't recognize trans* identities at all). In the case of abortion, it has nothing to do with protecting human life. It's about punishing women who want to have sex with unexpected pregnancy (for example, protection fails or medical contraceptive measures fail). In the case of unexpected pregnancy, it's about mandating slavery and torture of women, simply because SAs don't like people having sex.

Sex is not to be enjoyed. It's to be thought of as a necessary evil to have children.

18. Sacha

Sacha Guest

This isn't an either or question. Thats like saying would you rather have segragation or free health care? In what universe are the two related? Thats the point I'm trying to make.

---------- Post added 6th Jan 2013 at 11:44 PM ----------

You can't just say the only reason people are against abortion is because it's because they want to control womens bodies. What's next? 911 was an inside job? Although I have no doubt in my mind that a majority of republicans are sexist, you completely ignore their reasoning. People who are against abortion believe that an embryo has a "soul" and that it is concious like you and me... although they are wrong... that is still what they believe. It's FAR from wanting to control women. (at least for the majority of people)

19. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    in answer to OP's question

i think they just both happen to be politically divisive issues at the moment. Nothing more. They're not 'lumped together' as being similar issues, just 'lumped together' because they're both so relevant to current political debate.

20. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Being sexist is already wanting to control women's bodies. Besides, I can say that because they that because they want to control our bodies too. Although unenforceable because of a state supreme court decision and a federal supreme court decision, the Republicans in my state still refuse to repeal the sodomy law. SAs hate sex, and they want to punish people for trying to enjoy it. End of story.

Sure, I suppose people maybe have sincere reasons for being against abortion, but in my opinion, those reasons are not very often on display. I still have sincere reasons for having extreme hatred of their position.

#20 Pret Allez, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013