1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steven Soderbergh film rejected by studios: "Too gay."

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Jameson, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Jameson

Steven Soderbergh: Every Studio Rejected Liberace Film as 'Too Gay' | TheWrap TV

What do you guys think about this? Found it while surfing MSN and it brought me to TheWrap.

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe he thinks the general population is too homophobic to watch a movie about Liberace being fabulous. Brokeback Mountain was more about challenging social norms than actual flamboyance, so it had that going for it.

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He didn't think that, but the studio did. Please note it says in the article "studios thought it was 'too gay'" not Soderbergh

4. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It could also have much to do with the fact Liberace was a real person and not two fictional cowboy characters. A quick trip to Wikipedia reveals he always denied being gay and sued some newspapers that suggested he was, and there was an attempt at covering up the real cause of his death in 87 (which was apparently AIDS-related pneumonia). Even though he's passed on, studios may be nervous about being sued by his family/heirs if they don't feel he's portrayed in an appropriate manner?

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I gotta say, I find it funny that the studios put it that way.

But have you ever seen the way Liberace dressed and acted? Here's a video with the ridiculously gay and garish intro that Liberace had for his TV show, and then, in the last 3 minutes, a tour of the home (ignore the 10 minutes of video in between of some guy whining that the house is in foreclosure.)

[youtube]XMIzUShO-fA[/youtube]

As far as I know, a Liberace movie is now in the making, with Matt Damon as Liberace's boyfriend, so I guess the studios have now decided that gay sells. :slight_smile:

6. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The movie with Matt Damon the same movie the OP was talking about - it's going to be on HBO because none of the big studios wanted to produce it as a theatrical release.

It's no secret Liberace lived, at least on stage and in public life, in flamboyant opulence - but to say that opening sequence is gay is a bit of a stretch if not a misnomer :bang:

7. Messed Up

Messed Up Guest

I’d go to theatres to see this! And not because I’m part of the gay community, either! :frowning2:

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well... then I guess we disagree, because, really,to me at least, it's probably one of the gayest things I've come across :slight_smile:

9. Kay

Kay Guest

So what if the movie is very gay. People need to get a life and realize we aren't going away. LGBTQ will and have always been. There are a lot of gay movies. Soderbergh is awesome for making it. The studies need to have some guts and release the film.

10. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Don't get me wrong, "all signs point to yes", but I just find that kind of careless stereotyping and reasoning disturbing coming from EC staff. I thought being gay was about liking other guys (or girls liking girls) not sequins. :bang::bang:

11. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh come on, the guy is wearing a glittery eh.. cape? robe?, then in the next scene he sits in a bath looking at all the happy bubbles floating in the air.. seriously.

You yourself say "all signs point to yes!" I bet those signs are really stereotypes as well.

If it smells like a duck, sounds like a duck, and looks like a duck.. fill in the blank.

12. Bispaniard17

What's wrong with people nowadays, they can even express their own creativity and awareness of these types of issues, these are one of the many problems with our society as a whole they can accept people for what they believe in, look at the movie "Milk" what about "Smash" there is so much sexuality in media today, that they can't even release this to the theaters look at BRÜNO that movie was WAYYYYY to much but they still approved it why does this have to happened to one of te most acclaimed directors. What is wrong with these people.

13. quinos

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A good story is a good story and I think Liberace's story is a good story. For me, growing up in the 80s he was one of the few famous people who were gay (and even 8 year old me knew he was gay, though I knew George Michael was before he came out and I even had a crush on him).

I wonder if maybe the studios simply didn't like his script. Just because its about a compelling story, a great movie his script does not necessarily make. I don't see why the studios would say that given how mainstream homosexuality is so I wonder if Soderberg is just being "sour grapes"

14. DoriaN

Liberace sounds like pasta, I'm hungry grrrrrrrrr =[

15. WilliamM

WilliamM Guest

Well it is still going to be shown so thats good.