1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video footage of a Transsexual Woman Being Booked by Police

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by J Snow, Jan 7, 2013.

1. J Snow

I'm not 100% sure this is the right thread for this seeing as how this is from Spike TV and not necessarily News, but I think it does fit the category of Equality discussion. This footage is extremely disturbing to me on many levels. The misuse of pronouns, the dependence on genital alterations to determine a gender identity, the very discussion of putting her in with the male inmates, the heteronormative concept that men should strip search men and women should strip search women as if everyone is an exclusive heterosexual, is just disgusting.

The video may be triggering to some members who are trans and/or have poor experiences with the police.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvRfKVjHEH0

2. MixedNutz

I agree with you... But I also think they use these rules for the majority. And the male strip male and female strip female is simply logical. However as more LBGT become mainstream they should alter rules to accommodate. Such as having a trans person sign off on which gender they would feel more comfortable with.

I totally get what you're saying, but they have these parameters more for their protection them the arrested people, and that's why it caters to the officers.

3. This video is upsetting. I see no reason why she should be put into the prison for males. She is female, and has every right to be treated as such. Unfortunately, not everyone agrees with the LGBTQ community. The comments I read on the video were dissapointing, and so was the amount of likes the video recieved.

4. J Snow

Well I do know a friend who appeared completely female minus genitals and was locked up with male inmates who would tell you that something needs to change.

5. Hot Pink

I'm extremely afraid of this happening to me, you have no idea. I mean, I don't think I would ever end up in jail, but you never know. Especially since in most states, trans women that possess condoms is considered enough evidence to support an arrest for prostitution. There's also the whole "walking while trans" thing. Sometimes police will arrest trans women just because they assume they're all prostitutes.

6. IrisM

Getting arrested is definitely one of my worst nightmares. Sincere and heartfelt sympathies to that poor woman I can't imagine how she must have felt.

7. Hexagon

Seriously? Don't you have laws protecting transpeople in the US?

8. J Snow

Clearly you aren't familiar with how police operate in the US. Now, first of all the laws will vary from state to state, but even if there are laws in effect, it won't stop the police if they are transphobic. In this video the woman said she was arrested for driving under the influence even though she was sitting in a parking lot.

I have seen countless videos of police trying to take video cameras and destroy evidence of them breaking the law, even pointing firearms at citizens to do so. Some states have laws in effect making it illegal to video tape police officers. It is always the officer's word against the trans person's. Whose side do you think will end up getting believed?

---------- Post added 7th Jan 2013 at 05:31 PM ----------

I should also point out that there have been studies done in the US that show that the more gender nonconforming a person is, the more likely they are to be mistreated by the police. That includes gay/lesbian individuals

9. Zontar

(laugh track)

No, seriously, the law is pretty shit here when it comes to trans people.

10. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I actually thought the police officers were quite respectful. Didn't expect that.

11. MixedNutz

I agree, all I was saying is that the way it is handled now makes logical sense, but may not be totally right. It's a gray area I think. I think it needs to be considered and laws changed accordingly.

12. J Snow

Well some are and some aren't. They are just like people in any other group, except that they have power. Often careers that give people power can attract people that shouldn't have it.

13. Hot Pink

My personal, limited experience with my local police has been positive. They were respectful of my preferred name and pronouns.

14. SomeNights

If the keys are in the ignition, in most states, it's considered a DUI. Plus she had an open container which didn't help any. I had a straight friend get arrested for being in his car drunk with the heater on.
    ^ Agreed, as far as their behavior they were going strictly off policy and not making any jokes about it. As far as the situation went they handled it really well.
    Just because it really wasn't an issue till recently. The US is still tip towing around the subject. Eventually the supreme court will have to step in and make a ruling, but the subject just hasn't reached that far yet (or it has and the rock I live under is doing it's job too well)

15. NikkiPardus

THINGS NEED TO FUCKING CHANGE.

I was sexually harrased by guards in jail, and put through many humiliations and insults and this was all exclusively from the guards and workers there. constant insults to my name and jokes about my gender, as well as loudly discussing my body in front of general population on purpose. I was also put into segregation simply because I guard wasn't comfortable being around me and saw my existance as a sinful choice

---------- Post added 7th Jan 2013 at 06:22 PM ----------

none of what happened to me made any logical sense. and I condemn you for making these statements with no experience of actually going through things like that. CONDEMNED

---------- Post added 7th Jan 2013 at 06:25 PM ----------

Am I the only trans* person who has been arrested on this thread?? now I feel like a black sheep XD

16. SomeNights

^hey now that's treading the line of EC's no personal attacks policy.

What happened to you was definitely not okay and there is no excuse for it! However I believe J Snow was right that In this instance the C.O.s did their best to follow policy while still making the accommodations, but there is a call for a change here.

17. I keep hearing good things about Minnesota.

18. J Snow

Well I never said they did their best to make accommodations. Far from it. They were totally disrespectful of her gender identity, refusing to respect her preferred pronouns for instance until they strip searched her.

19. NikkiPardus

if you are referring to the joke about condemnation, please be sure to know I apologize, hope no one was hurt during that statement, and hope that I haven't crossed the line for empty closets.

also! related to what you said, did you watch the full video? they called her "it".... that is called transphobia. Calling her "it" is not doing their best to follow policy. no where in their policy does it say that if they encounter a trans person, call them it because they like it... It was disgusting and offensive and should not be ignored or defended when behavior like that is allowed, especially by people who work for the law

on an unrelated to what you said note, I'm glad people are able to meet the very bare minimum of admitting change needs to happen, I'll be really impressed if anyone steps out to do anything. I fought against my attackers and the way things were done. Maybe people who aren't directly affected will muster enough ally juice to help too??

20. Mykayla

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I am unable to watch the video but, judging by the reactions in this thread, I'd be appalled anyway. Reading through people's descriptions is sickening enough to make me not want to see the video. I may sound a bit selfish here but, I wish that trans people's issues would get as much attention as Gay and Lesbian issues are at the moment. Now, do I mean I want those issues pushed aside? No, I want them to still go forward. But, that said, I'm tired of trans people being (at least from my perspective) ignored. I'm happy that gay and lesbian rights are moving forward but it bothers me that trans people are left out of that.

Again, I probably sound at least a bit selfish but I just wanted to say that.