1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Transnormativity'

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by IrisM, Jan 12, 2013.

1. IrisM

TransFusion: The Transsexual Empire, Transnormativity, and other Bugaboos

2. Stories like this drive me nuts.

I hate that this whole community tears itself apart and then puts a front on that behavior (the same behavior we're trying to change in other groups) and says we're working for a better more accepting world.

I hate that my girlfriend (who is trans*) could be hurt or hated on at any time even among our fellow queers in spaces that are purported to be safe and welcoming.

This is true. And it does happen. And it's not just FAAB genderqueers who are doing it, it's a lot of us and it's a lot of the time.

3. IrisM

To be honest this really terrifies me as I'm going to a college I specifically selected for the strong LGBTQIA community as well as the courses.

4. DhammaGamer

Loved the article, posted to my facebook.

5. WELL, not every group is like the people at this conference.

For example, my girlfriend and I both attended meetings of a pride group at school (that's where we met actually) and she was in the process of coming out to everyone and everybody in the group was really cool about it. Trans* issues were brought up and there was one discussion meeting I went to where curious members of our group asked all sorts of really awesome questions about being and/or being with someone who is trans* identified. It was really rad and I felt like everyone in that room grew a little as a person.

There ARE spaces with people who absolutely will be listening and accepting and supportive and respectful and on and on. They do exist. And most people are cool once they understand where you're at. It's when people don't get things that they're most likely to be assholes (whether on purpose or accidentally).

6. person54

This is a huge issue at my school, omg I get so passionate about this topic, warning rampant ranting ahead. There are other trans women at the school but I'm the only out one and I'm only out due to weird circumstances not by choice. I really don't feel that welcomed or like my voice gets listened to that much in the queer community where I'm at both because I'm a woman and none of us get listened to as much and I feel like it goes double for me being trans.

And now I'm a co-leader of the new trans group and I still run into bs. The other co-leader a FAAB genderqueer person loves to throw around the term tranny. I tried to explain that the term has been born out of misogony, aimed at trans women and people who aren't trans women haven't had to experience the much higher rates of discrimination/trans-misogony that go along with being a trans woman and it's not okay for non-members of that group to try and reclaim it for those reasons. They immediatly dismissed what I had explained and said they think that a majority of other members of the group (none of whom are trans women) should agree to that for me to be right about the idea that other people shouldn't say it.

So then I decided to mention the lack of trans women and abundance of CAFAB men and genderqueers and that I think it's indictive of how unwelcome and dismissed trans women are here. They all of sudden say they think that inequality in our demographics is a big issue that needs to be addressed. Also not seeming to make any connection to what I had said about the term tranny or how theyr reaction might be a part of the problem.

I have to say I still I agree with dreamwatch though.

Depending on your community I think you might possibly find things a bit more difficult than the average cisgender or genderqueer person but even if it is, if you give it enough time you'll probably find your niche of friends within the group.

What that person in the article described is very alive and well at my University but I've got great great friends most of which are trans men, FAAB genderqueer people and a cisgender lesbian. So while I don't know how big your school or community is it's at least possible for you to find great friends even ones who are a part of the more well respected parts of the queer or trans community.

#6 person54, Jan 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  7. IrisM

I have not yet been accepted, and I do not yet know anyone whom attends there, I am simply agonizing about the possibilities. It's easy to express myself via the net when I feel safe, calm and at peace. In person, I may have difficulties. =/

8. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Whatever you do, don't give up.
    I hope you'll find some good friends there!
    (*hug*)

9. Deaf Not Blind

I will pray God keeps you safe!

I often think now, what if I were born male but thought I was female? I am always accepted in a binder, and all mens clothing and male haircut...either they assume lesbian or tomboy, but I never get treated badly in any way. I am good looking and dress well, zoo churches want me too...even antigay ones!

If I looked fully male and wore one of my old dresses, what would these same people do? I actually almost want to keep a few good ones for after I change just in case I want to test this...see what would happen.

Transgirls should not be beaten. I read in DC lots are, in 2012 a lot! I however was fine. Weird.

---------- Post added 13th Jan 2013 at 10:06 PM ----------

I really related to the author's first part, how many lesbians assume I am one of them, and some evidently think being a guy has something to do with getting guy privilege. um, not even thought about it. I have never kissed a girl, or wanted to have sex with any girls I went to school with. I am pretty picky on who turns me on, and yes I have had feelings since coming out as trans for some women, but that does not make me lesbian any more than any man is a lesbian. I have decided until I am transitioned to never wear a plaid shirt again. that is because i was told they signify lesbianism, and it sucks cuz I am a country boy and we all wear them. :frowning2: I don't want to wear a solid think black tie, which i did in high school, cuz I was told them also are lesbian markers. Gee! So if you friend me here and see my pix you will notice I try to dress like me, a guy, and not wear anything I find specifically would make me scream "lesbian"...and honestly I can't see a female anymore in my photos, so I can't see how they keep thinking I am one of them.

At my current uni, there seems to be a huge group of lesbians, and only they are in charge...no transmen or transwomen, but queer women. I really feel too straight to belong, even thought they are all nice, and it is not a women's only group...I feel akward. I wish we did have a trans only club, or a club for transmen and cis-men, it would be nice.