1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the situation in Europe?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Incognito10, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Incognito10

I am in the US and I have some family in Europe (Germany) and I know a lot of people online from Europe and the vast majority seem to portray most of Europe as much more accepting of gay people than other regions. However, today, I saw that there is a protest of "hundreds of thousands of people" in Paris regarding same sex marriage. For those who live in Europe or have otherwise spent time there, what's it truly like? Are people who are in protest generally older people who are a part of the Catholic church? I apologize if I made any stereotypes...I am just letting you know what my personal observations have been from being on the outside of Europe.

2. Dalmatian

To say that everyone in Europe is ok with homosexuality would be simply untrue. In France, same sex marriage will be incorporated into law in a couple of months, so that's why there are protests. They mostly come from the Catholic church and rural France.

As a whole, though, Europe today is one of the main centers of gay rights growth. In my opinion, the important thing is that gay rights are now seen as a product of civilization. Basically, Europe is fighting for this not because it should, but because it wants to. This goes deep into society because of the consistency of such policies.

Even in backwards countries, like Croatia, in which I live, gay rights are now something most common people would say is a normal thing. Of course we have protests, but it seems there is no going back. That's thanks to the european winds of change.

3. TheUglyBarnacle

Two Women Kiss In Front Of Anti-Gay Protests In Marseille, France

A picture is worth a thousand words. ^ Not to mention that the two girls are straight.

But the truth is that it depends on which part of Europe you're referring to. Most people here have the "why'd you care what they do on their bed" attitude but I wouldn't say that there is acceptance. Things are changing, though, despite no talks being done about LGBT rights.

In other countries, such as Sweden, I've heard there's hardly, if at all, any discrimination against LGB people. Not so sure about the rights of trans* people, tbh, though.

4. Incognito10

I've heard that the Scandanavian regions (Sweden, Norway etc) are extremely accepting. Perhaps, the further south and east you move, the less accepting?? I've also heard that Berlin, Germany has long had a thriving gay culture, even in the 1920s, that is interesting if people lived openly gay in the city as early as that time period. I am a bit surprised at France, however. I've always thought France held much more liberal views than most places; but again, this is probably just the result of making generalizations.

#4 Incognito10, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  5. timo

The north and west of Europe are pretty accepting. Quite a few countries have legalised gay marraige in the past years (The Netherlands being the first country worldwide to legalise it, in 2001), including Spain and Portugal, two of the most southern European countries. Others (France, UK, , Luxembourg, Germany too I believe) are planning to legalise it in a few months. Here's a map for you :slight_smile:

And yes, I read about the protests in Paris too. Considering they were headline news even outside of France I'd say anti-gay protests are pretty rare here. And while the article I read stated that about 300.000 people would protest in Paris, it also said that over 50% of the French population (bear in mind France has a population of more than 63 million) is in favour of same sex marriage. So it's nothing more than a drop in the ocean and I'd say your view of France being more liberal is quite right :slight_smile:

6. Incognito10

I get bored sometimes and just read about European countries on Wikipedia and it seems that most of the European countries say that a very small percentage of citizens actually attend a church on a regular basis; for example, a 2007 poll by Catholic World News reported about only 5% of the population attended regularly. And Timo: you're right, if France has a pop. of 63 million and only 300,000 are turning out for a protest, I guess it is a "relatively" small group. :slight_smile:

7. Dalmatian

As far as I know, in the end there were 100k people in that protest actually. And later, there was also a counter protest.. well, not protest, because the law is bound to pass; lets say support gathering. I think there were 60k people in that one.

---------- Post added 13th Jan 2013 at 04:21 PM ----------

And yes, church attendance is horrible. There are 86% declared believers in Croatia and church attendance is at least ten times less. You can see that on Christmad and Easter when maybe a half go and it's still obviously far above normal Sunday, let alone weekdays.

8. Copperflower

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    People say that North of Europr and Scandinavia are quite accepting, which probably is at least partly true. But I live in Finland and have got my own share of negative attitudes. Perhaps discrimination here isn't as strong as somewhere else, but it does exist.

In Finland, gay marriage is not going to be legalised any time soon, nor gay adoption. There is also a law that forces people who want to change gender to not ever be able to have children, which has caused a lot of protests recently. But usually you can walk hand in hand in the street without being verbally or physically attacked. If someone is against you, it's usually the older people or the religious people, or those who share very old-fashioned values. Which is typical here.

9. timo

Ah I didn't know, I only read about expectations beforehand. But the actual 100k is definitely better than the 300k they expected to show up!

10. JohnG

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I just read some articles about the huge event against gay marriage that took place today in Paris. It gathered about 350.000 people, who all screamed the usual things such as "Marriage is between a man and a woman!" or "Don't accept it, it ruins children's lives!"... Some of them went to far, making a comparison between the actual president and Hitler, but the leaders of the movement quickly apologized for this.
    As some said, it was greatly constitued by old religious people, but what surprised me the most is that there were some young teenagers and, even worse, little children brought by their parents.
    I can't tell how much I am irritated, but mostly disappointed. I always try to prepare myself for that kind of event but at the end I can't help it. Uh D:

11. Hatsupi Kona

Hatsupi Kona Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    TIL that if you wear all white and female, you have the right to complain about anything

12. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Things is people keep talking about the 'big' demonstration and sure 350 thousand people is a large group.
    But put into perspective it's less than 1% of the population.

#12 Linthras, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  13. Dalmatian

Ah, my apologies. I thought we were talking about the protest a couple of months ago. I wasn't aware of the one today.

No matter the percentage, 350k is a worrying number. Hopefully these people will think differently in a decade or two.

14. Michal2012

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think there is lot of gay in Europe (Germany).

15. JohnG

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I hope so, or at least I hope they will quickly understand that THEY are the ones creating troubles and confusing their children, as they like to say. If they could take the 5 minutes it would need to explain this is just love, we wouldn't be in this kind of situation.
    I also think many people, since they grew without knowing homosexuality exists, just fear the unkown and let their emotions keeping them away from facing the truth.

But as you said Dalmatian, let's keep hope :thumbsup:

16. photoguy93

I have been to France and have taken french for years.

I don't have as much experience in this topic, but here's what a gay American can tell you ---

Europe, in general, is very accepting. Their culture, as a whole, focuses on life and important things. I think part of this comes from the way they live. They use less energy, live a less stressed life....etc. also, as a theory ---- Europeans handle religion very differently. Catholicism might be very conservative - but things like the Westboro Baptist Church and the mega church crazies happen here.

When I was in France, I never remember anyone giving me crap. I did a home stay. One of the nights, my friend (American) stayed with me because we found out her close friend passed away from cancer. They let her stay...with me. Aka - sleep on the same bed. They knew I was gay and it didn't matter.

SURE, there are protests. There are protests everywhere. But I never saw anything. It was nice.

17. Sayu

Well, I live in a country of middle Europe, where gay people are not really accepted. We don't even have registered same-sex partnerships legalized here :frowning2: However, things got a liiiittle better now, we've got two pride parades so far. But when you read the comments on the internet after that, it was like 90% of them were really hateful. But I know things are quite good in the UK and in Netherlands... :slight_smile:

18. Harve

There's quite a divide between Catholic and Protestant countries, even if they're not particularly religious. There's also a divide between Western Europe and the less-developed Eastern Europe - my friends from over there aren't homophobic themselves, but it's considered a big thing nonetheless. It's odd though, as I don't think LGBT rights are necessarily conducive to public attitudes towards homosexuality (both interact with each other but I'd say the latter are more important). For example, countries such as South Africa and Argentina have legalised gay marriage whilst Germany and the UK don't have gay marriage just yet and Denmark's only came into force recently.

19. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    Tempting. This is the impression l've always had. Even with some American Catholics.

l haven't known many who turned away from their family and religion entirely, but l did get the sense that they didn't take it NEARLY as seriously as some crazed American fire & brimstone types do and possibly didn't even believe in it but went along with it for social reasons.

l used to think l really wouldn't want to live anywhere other than the US at the end od the day but...l don't know.

20. Yui

Yui

The situation in Germany is quite good, actually. I have relatives there as well, I've already been there multiple times and speak German fluently.
    They have a few gay politicians and their foreign minister and vice chancellor is a gay man. He attends official events with his partner, I've seen them on TV. And at my cousins school there were several openly gay/lesbian teachers and no one really cared.