1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Transsexuals should cut it out"

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by SohoDreamer, Jan 13, 2013.

1. SohoDreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Transsexuals should cut it out | Julie Burchill | Comment is free | The Observer

I don't have the time to comment on this vile article, but thought I'd post it for you guys to discuss.

2. I just about lost it at "dicks in chick's clothing", but this little gem takes the cake:

I'm surprised the Guardian actually published this.

#2 Cassindra Starlight, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2013
  3. Mykayla

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Another bigot yelling that transsexual people are freaks because "they're not like me"? What is that, three in the last few days? I'm not even going to bother this time. Just wait another few years and these people will slowly die off like racists and sexists are.

4. Many people secretly enjoy getting offended and fighting over it. I know I do. That's why this type of thread is often popular.

5. Mykayla

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Though, the comment section for this article is a nice change of pace.

6. person54

7. SparkDT

Julie Burchill sounds like a nice lady...

8. Deaf Not Blind

Women like her make me glad I am a guy, and wish I could be "turned gay"...she is a mean old biddy! And if I were a girl, I would deck her!

---------- Post added 13th Jan 2013 at 08:00 PM ----------

EDITOR:
    This article is the subject of an inquiry by the Observer readers' editor, who responds in the thread here. For those reading this on a mobile platform and unable to view comments, his post reads as follows: "As you might imagine, I have received many emails protesting about this piece this morning. Thank you to those who have written. I will be looking at this issue and will be replying to all in due course."

---------- Post added 13th Jan 2013 at 08:06 PM ----------

Julie Burchill has ended up bullying the trans community | Roz Kaveney | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

Julie Burchill has ended up bullying the trans community
    What's meant as a defence of Suzanne Moore turns into list of negative epithets legitimising the currency of hate speech

"...Once you decide that some people's lives are not real, it becomes OK to abuse them; for people without the outlet of writing for a national newspaper, it becomes OK to shout things in the street, or worse. The trouble with Burchill's list of negative epithets for trans people is that she legitimises the basic currency of hate speech. Trans people are one of the very few minorities who some progressives feel entitled to mock and misrepresent – but then Burchill parted company with the left a long time ago. By now, she has parted company with common decency.

What I would ask Moore and Burchill is this: do you think that what you've written makes it more or less likely that an elderly trans woman living on a housing estate will get jostled on the stairs by her neighbours? Or that a teen trans man will be punched in the street? It's not anger-fuelled tweets, but that provocation, done with malice by people who should know better, that is the real bullying."

9. Dylan

Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh. My. God.
    Why would she even think to write that? Where did her brain go? How could she possibly say what she said?

How does this stuff even happen? :bang:

10. I feel sorry for this person

11. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Aw, cute. Another heterosexual, cis, white woman opposing transsexuals because she wouldn't know the definition of oppression if it whacked her bigoted, chimpanzee brain.

12. Cassandra

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Check the link again:

Even the editor recognized this was too much in the first place.

13. AlexisAnne

Wow... I've been sitting here for about five minutes staring at my screen trying to figure out what to say here, and I'm not normally speechless. I didn't get the chance to read the actual article because, as Cassandra said, it's been removed, but I did some surfing on Google and, pieced with what's been said here... just wow. People like this are such a large part of the reason I've spent so much of my life hiding in my little closet.

People like this make me so sad for us. I don't mean the LBGTQ community, I mean the human race in general.

I guess that's it. I could go on an angry rant here, like our dear friend Julie, but I don't see the point

14. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Incredibly offensive but I've stopped expecting things to be any different a while ago. Best to just focus on the little things and leave the big stuff like politics for stronger people.

15. SkyColours38

I saw this article on my breakfast table the Sunday it was published, and it put me off my toast...

16. SOULkitchen

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Ahh there is always gonna be more and more of this drivel. Sometimes it seems pointless to discuss. Not that I am discouraging our discussion here...

Know thy enemy, right?