1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The word "queer"

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Bree, Jan 14, 2013.

?

What do you think of the word "queer"

1. I like it!

28 vote(s)
    17.8%
  2. I'm fine with it.

55 vote(s)
    35.0%
  3. I'm not sure/prefer another word.

33 vote(s)
    21.0%
  4. I don't like it.

41 vote(s)
    26.1%
  1. Bree

I tend to use this word as a blanket for everyone who identifies in the LGBTQ* community. I've noticed that some people seem to see it as an insult, or teasing slang. What do you think of it? Is there another word that you like better--that's hopefully as easy to say?

2. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

You're not going to have much luck finding things as easy to say as a one-syllable word. :slight_smile:

Around here, queer has been successfully disarmed as an insult, which is why I use it. I think if someone actually tried to insult someone by calling them "a queer", it'd be as laughable as a black person trying to insult a white person by calling him "honky".

If queer isn't an option, though, the shortest one I can think of that's all encompassing is GSM, which stands for gender and sexuality minorities. But that one's so obscure that you might as well just go with the extra syllable and use LGBT, which everyone knows.

3. FranklinK

I can't stand it. The words mean different or odd as well as spoiled or ruined. There is nothing wrong with me and I'm no different, better, or worse than anyone else. If you want a fight call me a queer. I don't give a shit if you are gay or not yourself. Same thing about the word faggot or fag. I find it unacceptable to toss that word around even if it is a homosexual using the word.

We don't need to set ourselves apart if we are fighting for equality. We are just like everyone else, we have the same goals and aspirations as well as the ability to contribute. When call ourselves queers and faggots we are labeling ourselves as something completely separate from the rest of society.

We are men and women: parents, children, brothers, sisters, friends, and coworkers. If we can't treat ourselves with respect how can we expect anyone to respect us?

#3 FranklinK, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  4. Motov

Queer is too close to Queen so it seems to carry a feminine aspect. Just an opinion.
    I don't mind being called "Weird" but Queer is just insulting as if you have a defect of character.

5. Bree

I guess because I don't consider the word disrespectful. The meaning of words changes over time--"gay" is a fantastic example of that--and I don't think queer means that there's something wrong with you anymore.

6. Motov

Well put, We have enough to deal with life like everyone else does with bills, work, etc.(!)

7. FranklinK

The word may change overtime, but the meaning still sticks with people and I don't think that will change before we achieve equal rights.

8. Bree

I guess it probably also depends on where you are. I've never heard anyone use the word in a negative sense...and where I am, people of deferring orientations HAVE equal rights. We're still working on trans rights.

9. FranklinK

Ah yeah, I just noticed you are in Canadia lol

10. Eatthechildren

I love it! It's a lot shorter than LGBTQIA+ for one~

11. plasticcrows

plasticcrows Guest

I like to be specific. I say "homosexual" if asked about my orientation.

12. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Its actually changing a lot faster than what you would imagine.

Right now we have a whole generation of gay youth who have been raised without any stigma when it comes to their sexuality, and those kids are changing how we treat many words and other issues.

Also, as time goes by and more people are adding letters to the acronym, more people are starting to take comfort in the word queer because it provides a place to belong while also keeping their own identity and the ability to define themselves.

Right now, most Queer spaces are very much in acceptance with the word. Not sure how long it will last or if with time people will adopt another word, but as of right now Queer is starting to catch on fairly quickly.

I personally like the word. I get why people might dislike it and I respect that, but I like it a lot.

"Am I saying you can’t be offended/hurt by the word ‘queer’? Certainly not. But there’s a difference between queer and dyke and f*g. The latter two specifically refer to specific ways of doing sexuality, and immediately imply that one is homosexual (often in a derogatory way, though I know some reclaim the words and that is their right). Queer does not say who you sleep with, or how you express desire, or how you do your gender, or (when used in queer theory) say that it is wrong—only that it is, in some way, deviated from the norm." - Stranger from Tumblr

13. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have mixed opinions. Queer isn't so bad, and works as a blanket term. But it does come off as "incorrect" somehow. It's possible to be different and in minorities without being wrong.

14. Ticklish Fish

Wait. Queer is ONE syllable? I thought it's two. Is my English that bad to think that it's two syllables? Oh em gee!

also, if I can handle the word "weird", "weird person", "strange", "weirdo", maybe even like "odd", and "oddball", I think I can handle "Queer"

15. Bree

Pronounced "kweer"

16. aconite

Not so sure about it. It's pretty much accepted here, but I don't really use it, I'd hate it if people take it as an insult while I don't intend it. I prefer saying LGBT or LGBTQIA+ even though they're a mouthful.

17. Ticklish Fish

would it be kwe-er or kwee-r? or is it more like kweere to make it one syllable?

(who am i kidding, i hardly use and hardly heard people use this word in my area)

18. Bree

It's E like the letter E. KwEr. Rhymes with beer and tear and gear and spear and fear and rear and dear and hear and cheer and sear and year and peer and veer and leer and mere and clear and...etc.

19. Thieves

Thieves Guest

Out Status:
    A few people
    I feel like this should be made into a national LGBTQ sing-a-long song...

(!)

20. CTJ

CTJ

This is exactly my view, i've spent my whole life thinking that being gay is weird or wrong or odd and now i'm finally starting to accept it, why would i want to label myself as exactly that?