1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stem Cell Discovery will allow Gay Men to create their own eggs for surrogate birth

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by jsmurf, Jan 15, 2013.

1. jsmurf

Recent findings by a group of Scientists from the Kyoto University Institute for Integrated Cell-Material Sciences (iCeMS) have taken the Scientific World by storm, and this has raised numerous questions about the findings, and the potential uses and abuses.

This discovery will allow gay men to create an egg of their own, not having to use a donated egg from a female donor, thereby allowing creation of a child born with both parents DNA, not just the DNA of one of the men and the DNA from the egg donor, as is currently the case. This finding has the potential to invigorate the LGBT community, and whispers of it’s use in this manner are already beginning.

The Japanese research team, led by Mitinori Saitou of Kyoto University in Japan, said that they had finally attained their seemingly insurmountable objective, creating eggs from embryonic stem cells, as well as producing eggs that will become healthy offspring.

The most astonishing part of the discovery was that the bio-engineered eggs were the fertilized in-vitro with sperm created from stem cells as well, and then implanted in the mice.

The resulting pregnancy produced healthy mice, and so far, this accomplishment is a rousing success.

The embryonic stem cells used in the study were a different kind of stem cell than we are used to hearing about. When we think of stem cells, we think of umbilical cord stem cells. But this differing type of stem cell, referred to as Induced pluripotent stem cells, can be obtained from the skin cells of a mouse, and a human as well.

Stem Cell Discovery will allow Gay Men to create their own eggs for surrogate birth | The Guardian Express

#1 jsmurf, Jan 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  2. djt820

Re: Stem Cell Discovery will allow Gay Men to create their own eggs for surrogate bir

Stem Cell research is absolutely brilliant. It will better us wholly and this is just one great example.

3. jsmurf

Re: Stem Cell Discovery will allow Gay Men to create their own eggs for surrogate bir

The most exciting part is that it will crush all the stupid aspersions that religiously-fueled bigots cast on us for being "unable" to continue the human race.

---------- Post added 15th Jan 2013 at 12:52 AM ----------

And probably after a while, artificial wombs could take up the task of expensively-obtained surrogate mothers in spitting out a ton of healthy babies for male gay couples. :slight_smile:

4. FranklinK

That is awesome! I'm happy to hear this! :grin:

5. Mhin

I don't know what to say, but seems like this is another breakthrough

6. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Wow, that's awesome! I wonder if there's a similar thing for gay women? I'm sure it would be too difficult to achieve that too after this breakthrough. :grin:

7. Metleon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual

Yeah sperm, in theory, should be easier to create. Only potential problem I see is that there shouldn't be a way to get a Y chromosome from a female, so all children born like that would be biologically female.

8. Jacek

Hmm, seems pretty cool- a little weird but I think this is something I would do

9. yes

yes

i don't know. i wouldn't want to pay some poor woman in a a developing country to carry a kid for me and my partner if i had one - that would just be wrong. the only way i could accept doing this would be if the woman was doing it out of free will, which i doubt is common. i reckon this will become a point that will divide rich from poor gay couples a bit more, as most people will not be able to afford to buy a surrogate mother's service. i still find the research interesting though, as it could bring positive things with it as well, i'm not into science but i suppose there are many good things that can come from this. myself however i'd much rather adopt a kid, as there are plenty of kids needing adoption around here.

10. Caliber

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

oh my god wow! dont you think stem cell research is absolutely brilliant?

11. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Really? Wow... genetics are really interesting. I don't know why, but these kind of things really just... I dunno. It almost makes me want to take up scientific subjects again. ALMOST.

12. Pain

Pain Guest

^In the article

Though, there is no mention of gay women, specifically. While it's implied that women could do the same (have a sperm cell created from these stem cells and combined with an egg from another woman/woman's stem cell) having only this one example seems sexist to me.

---------- Post added 15th Jan 2013 at 10:25 AM ----------

I'm sorry, I can't take this seriously. Paying a poor woman in a developing country for surrogacy? You doubt people are willing surrogates? What?

13. Rexmond

This is amazing news, not just for gay men, but infertile men too. I've always considered whether or not I would have a child or two, but was really put down by the idea that the child wouldn't be of any relation to my partner or I. Other things, of course, affect my decision like would it be fair on this kid to go through abuse and suffering because of his parents? This discovery could change everything about the way we feel in these situations.

14. Vesper

Many poor women in third world nations already have become willing gestational surrogates as a way to make money. I know for a fact that it happens in India, where there are even businesses that cater to exactly this kind of arrangement between couples in wealthy developed nations and women in India who could use some extra money.

15. ForceAndVerve

Wow this certainly is pushing the boundaries! :eusa_clap

16. Hexagon

I agree it seems sexist. It might be due to the fact that the technology has been around for a while in female mice. I first heard about it at least two years ago. As for the ethical issues, I agree that its important to make sure the people involved are willing, but that does happen a lot. It would be better if the child could be grown in an artificial womb though.

Something just occurred to me. As in most cases, both partners would have an XY chromosome, wouldn't that significantly increase the chances of getting a YY child? If I remember correctly, most people with the YY chromosomes are highly violent and agressive. I suppose it could be avoided by only selecting XX or XY embryos.

17. jsmurf

Yes, this has already been done in mice experiemts as well, and is probably even more doable than making eggs from male stem cells.

---------- Post added 15th Jan 2013 at 09:26 AM ----------

Me too. It's nice to have your child resemble both you and your loved one.

---------- Post added 15th Jan 2013 at 09:28 AM ----------

Solution?

Artificial wombs:

[​IMG]

---------- Post added 15th Jan 2013 at 09:29 AM ----------

No, a YY is NOT possible. An egg created from a male's stem cell would always be X, not Y.

18. Tim

Tim

Things like this have been possible for two women for quite some time now, at least in the same situation (mice).

I remember reading about it back in High School.

This is why the article specifically mentions men. It's been possible for 2 women, as the issue with 2 men is men do not produce an egg, so even if you were to mix together the 2, it wouldn't result in something.

I can't remember the specifics about 2 women though, just that mice born from 2 female mice have been done for years. 2 men was always thought to be impossible. Hence this article/discovery.

So the people calling it sexist make me annoyed, to be blunt.

19. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Ah, thanks for clearing it up. It's true... it's not sexist, it's equality.

20. J Snow

Wait, you said the stem cells come from skin cells? As in the person doesn't need to be able to produce fertile sperm? I'm just curious as to how this may effect me seeing as how I'm transitioning. I didn't freeze any sperm or anything so I'm just wondering if this means I'll be able to produce offspring or not....