1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Colorado Catholic Adoption Agency Threatens to shut down over civil unions.

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BradThePug, Jan 19, 2013.

1. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Colorado Catholic Adoption Agency Threatens To Shut Down Over Civil Unions - On Top Magazine | Gay news & entertainment

You have got to be kidding me. So, you're going to shut down your agency to help children because of civil unions. Really... people make no sense sometimes.

2. Ticklish Fish

lol. how often do hetero couples adopt kids anyways? /rhetorical?
    those kids must be lonely

3. They would really deprive children of a loving family, just because theeir parents might happen to be gay/lesbian couples? How selfish.. I hope that these children find families that will treat them right and raise them properly.

That is not a logical choice on their part... shutting down their program over marriage between two people of the same gender?... >_>

4. RainDreamer

I really fear this kind of mentality. "It is either our way or you get nothing" mentality is really dangerous, as it often escalate, and more people than just the party involved is going to suffer.

5. J Snow

Except that crazy bouts of stupidity like this should be a beacon to wake up any rational thinkers in the Catholic church (as few as they may be) that its decision making process is not infallible and they should not blindly follow along with it.

I hope they do shut down, and a secular organization that will do a better job replaces them.

6. IrisM

These people. >.>

Because the answer in this situation is clearly to punish the children by robbing them of ANY hope of finding a family that loves them. The lengths that people will go to satisfy their bigotry are just plain shameful.

7. Emberstone

what they do ammounts to child abuse and neglect anyway, by denying children loving homes, and assuming that by putting them in a heterosexual home, they wont be molested, mistreated, or neglected, simply because they buy into the disproven hate speech of the vatican on child-rearing...

better they shut down and let moral, ethical agencies take their place than risk harming children with heterosexuals, who statisticly have a higher risk of child abuse than gay couples, as same-sex couples actually have to really want a child to get them.

8. SkyDiver

Good. Shut down everything, bigots. There are just that many more loving gay couples to adopt children.

9. lazyboy

lazyboy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Let 'em shut down if they want. Other, more ethical agencies will replace them anyway.

10. inthedark4eva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Sadly, this is the mentality of the Catholic Church.

In my area, there's a lawsuit against the Catholic Church over discrimination over homosexuality. The diocese here was selling a large piece of property. A gay couple had decided to purchase it and turn into a banquet hall type of place. Someone within the church screwed up when forwarding an email that contained a message from a Monsignor.

Sadly, someone else has since bought the property and has sworn that no gay marriages will be held there.

The irony of this whole situation....the property in question was one of the main places that the Catholic church would hide the pedophile priests when accusations were made. It is also the site of several molestations.

Apparently, they're against gay marriages on the property but child molestation is.

11. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Empty and counter-productive threats to cling unto protected prejudice. Par for the course.

---------- Post added 24th Jan 2013 at 07:56 PM ----------

Problem is these people probably genuinely believe no gay couple could provide a happy and healthy home. Hence in their eyes their threats are completely rational and justified.

12. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What has been done in other states where they've shut down their adoption programs? Have other groups stepped in to help the kids find homes?

I agree they should get out of this activity if they refuse to treat people fairly to help kids find good homes. Clearly their hearts have been hardened and it's really sad :frowning2:

13. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I remember just reading this in the local paper & seeing it on the news.

Previous years versions of the Civil Unions bill (all of which failed) had an adoptions exemption for religious institutions...this year the bill's sponsor left out that exemption in part because even in those previous years versions the Catholic groups still opposed it.

A rally against civil unions was held infront of the state Capitol today
    ----------

As a side note: On wednesday this year's civil unions bill passed its 1st step, the Senate Judiciary Committee. Democrats control both the Colorado House & Senate, and the governor indicated he will sign it...so the bill is expected to pass this year :slight_smile:

(civil unions are as close to same sex marriage as can be done here due to an amendment added to the Colorado Constitution)

14. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't even understand why Catholics are given the opportunity to have adoption agencies. I'm sorry to sound like an ass everyone cause I know some of you are Catholic, I'm just more saying it seems that of Catholic agencies, it's always the closed-minded bigoted ones who run them...

15. Whiteboymdew

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    On Wednesday Colorado had the first hearing on the Civil Unions legislation this year.

Just a brief recap.
    2011= Senate Passes Civil Unions out of Judiciary (6-3)
    2011= Senate Passes Appropriations out of Judiciary (4-3)
    2011= Senate Passes Civil Unions out of Appropriations (6-4)
    2011= Senate Passes Civil Unions on Senate Floor (23-12)
    2011= House Killed Civil Unions bill in Judiciary (5-6) B.J. Nikkel voted NO.

2012= Senate Passes Civil Unions out of Judiciary (5-2)
    2012= Senate Passes Appropriations out of Judiciary (4-3)
    2012= Senate Passes Civil Unions out of Appropriations (5-4)
    2012= Senate Passes Civil Unions on Senate Floor (23-12)
    2012= House Passes Civil Unions in Judiciary (6-5) B.J. Nikkel flips YES.
    2012= House Passes Civil Unions in Finance (7-6)
    2012= House Passes Civil Unions in Appropriations (7-6)
    2012= House goes to floor for the bill. House Speaker kills it on purpose.
    2012= House Special Session Civil Unions State, Veterans, & Military Affairs Killed (4-5)
    (Don Coram in SVMA a father of a gay son voted against the measure)

November 2012 Elections Democrats capture the House and keep the Senate.
    2013= Senate Passes Civil Unions out of Judiciary (3-2)
    2013= Referred to Appropriations

People have the nerve to come to into the committee and say "We are rushing this bill"
    My question is for you how is this bill getting rushed it passed 100 committees in the last 3 years. Also opponents of the bill bring up the constitutional amendment that was passed in 2006 and 2006 domestic partnership Referendum that failed. I can tell you that things have changed in the last 7 years. I don't understand why the opponents are facing a losing battle. I mean this came up so many times before. Republicans won't and can't stop it and they shouldn't. I know if the House speaker would have allowed this to come up in 2012 at the end of the session I know it would have passed.

16. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    And thats why they didn't allow it to come up for a vote...
    This year though things could be different :slight_smile:

17. Whiteboymdew

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I mean I actually have a copy recording of him and Mark Ferandino fighting about SB2. I mean honestly what an abuse of power. I mean this year things will be different and we have heard enough about it lets take a vote.

18. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Saving souls over saving children, I think.

19. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    cool.. did you actually go see the session 'live' ?
    Or just found a copy online or recorded off TV/Radio ?