1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The 10th State

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Whiteboymdew, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Whiteboymdew

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The United States currently has 9 states who have enacted marriage equality. Which state do you think with be the 10th state and why?

Personally, I would like to place my bet on Illinois. I believe that the legislature will come back in February and pass it by April. I mean I feel like going into 2013 we had a good shot, but with a couple of problems in the Senate we never got the bill done. It passed out of Executive committee and then it was killed because the session ended.

2. Kay

Kay Guest

I think it will be Illinois as they are in the process.

3. Fiddledeedee

Rhode Island is essentially just going through a formality or two before enacting it, seeing as it will pass the vote.

4. As Kay said, Illinois.

5. stephenjack

Illinois will be first, then maybe like a week or two later Rhode Island. I think this summer Delaware will, followed by California when SCOTUS rules. This fall Hawaii and New Jersey will round out the year. Minnesota and Oregon will lead the beginning of 2014. Btw, Indiana will never get the amendment through. Looks like we will never have a 31st state ban:slight_smile:

6. Illinois and Rhode Island, most likely. California will likely legalize it as well, but not until SCOTUS has time to rule on Prop 8.

I'm hoping the above poster is right about the other states. It would be nice to get married in Hawaii.

7. Nightmaric

Wyoming is also making some ground. I think Rhode Island will beat Illinois, making Illinois 11th.

8. Shiny Espeon

Rhode Island, then Illinois, then the Supreme Court will over turn Prop 8 for California. It kinda has to, as Prop 8 took away rights people had before it was enacted.

9. animequeen567

I wish it would be Ohio, but probably Illinois.

10. Whiteboymdew

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I believe it is now safe to say that the next state will likely be Illinois. On Tuesday, they passed out SB10 which is the marriage equality act.

11. Yogabear

Yogabear Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not all that up-to-date on the issue in the states but think Illinois and Rhold Island will definitely pass it. Wow! You guys are shockingly very optimistic on the Supreme Court unlike me on Proposition 8! The only shocking thing is the Proposition 8 idea except Justice Kennedy with abortion in the past.

12. stephenjack

Well the fact on the prop 8 case is we have the block of 4 for each side, with Kennedy as the swing. Seeming as he wrote the majority opinion in the only two gay rights cases ever brought to the supreme court(the majority was pro-gay), it seems like he would strike down prop 8. and since he is anti-big government, it only makes sense he will definitely strike down DOMA. and also i heard that one statement Ted olsen and david boise are going to make is one about marriage being a free institution, actually said by justice kennedy, and they will use it to argue for gay marriage. i hope they do it's a smart idea i think.

13. Whiteboymdew

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    With the two cases in the court. I believe prop 8 is unconstitional because the state of California gave a right then took that right away. I feel thats the most important part of this case. Also I believe that DOMA was passed in fear. I say that because in 1993 Hawaii almost legalized marriage by the courts or something. I mean I feel like the state's will still have the right to define marriage. I believe that will continue to be the case. So all marriage amendments will stay. I'm not sure, but that's where I am on that specific issue.