1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boy Scouts may soon welcome gay youths, leaders

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BradThePug, Jan 28, 2013.

1. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Boy Scouts may soon welcome gay youths, leaders

2. FranklinK

I heard they were losing funding over their discriminatory decision to not allow homosexuals into their troops and councils. So in order to keep the funding they are going to appease their resources.

3. PeteNJ

I sure hope so... not holding my breath.

I'm a Boy Scout leader, and once I'm out of the closet completely (next few months), I'm wondering what will happen.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's really incredible if it actually happens. What I'd heard is that a huge amount of the funding has historically come from the Mormons, who as we know, are about as bigoted and anti-gay as it gets, so it was considered unlikely they'd shift.

But I also read that one of the new board members, soon to be president, is from Levi Strauss, or one of the other large corporate supporters, and made it his goal to eliminate discrimination.

The lifting of the national ban is a step in the right direction, and probably a political move to appease the various bigoted boy scout troops sponsored by conservative churches. Sort of like don't ask-don't tell was a bridge to full acceptance of LGBT servicepeople in the military.

5. speedboy3

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    This is awesome news! As a boy scout it infuriates me to see when someone works so hard to achieve eagle, or another goal in scouts, only to be denied just because they're not straight. Glad to see the council finally moving in the right direction. :icon_bigg

6. Ticklish Fish

you know...
    just because they reverse decision of letting gay people in, it doesn't mean like, some of the leaders are not homophobic..

like.... idk how to explain it

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Drawing again on the analogy of the military, I completely agree with you. If the national group lifts the ban and allows local troops to have gay scoutmasters and gay scouts, then there will still be plenty of ignorant, bigoted scoutmasters at various troops... in much the same way that DADT didn't say to military officers "You have to accept and embrace gay servicemembers" but instead said, in effect "You have to allow them to be as long as they're silent." But it was still discriminatory. And so would the currently-proposed action be.

But it's a huge step forward. It opens the door for younger gay boys to say "Yes, I count as a person and I'm just as important." Maybe not in Utah or Mississippi... but it's still a great start. And I would guess that, within a few years if not before, the Scouts will adopt a full non-discrimination policy... perhaps after the worst of the bigots die off or retire.

8. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Better late than never.
    Was changed here long ago, before I was born. Strange to see it's still an issue over there.

9. inthedark4eva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    After reading a few articles on this, I have come to realize that the BSA isn't becoming more accepting but rather passing the buck. Deferring the decision to the local councils isn't going to fix anything.

I came across this poll in the local paper this morning. I was disheartened by the results and some of the comments.

Should the Boy Scouts allow gays to become Scouts and leaders?

10. Yamato

I'm pleased they are doing this, I know many troops will still not allow it buts it a step in the right direction. I don't think that here in the UK there has ever really been a ban on gay leaders and scouts. The UK Scout Assosiation is alot more accepting of LGBT rights than the BSA.
    The Uk scouts did this sort of thing a long time ago but instead of gay members it was girls. In 1976 they allowed girls over the age of 15 to join and from 1990 girls of any age could join but the scout troop could opt out. Now it is composory to let girls join. Hopefully something like this will happen in america for the gay members, it won't end discrimination but it will help.

11. Minx

It sounds suspicious to me.

I think it'll give them more power in dismissing gays they disapprove of.

-Oh, we're not bigots at all anymore, we have gay youth leaders now. You can't say we discriminate anymore... just because some locals choose to delegate and let a few of them go....- :dry:

12. Emberstone

I will believe it when i see it.