1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Same-sex couples included in U.S. immigration?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Doku, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Doku

Out Status:
    Some people
    I just read this: Obama Will Include Same-Sex Couples In Immigration Plan -I'm not sure if the information is false or not but I'm really hopeful. If DOMA doesn't get repealed, I still hope that this will happen, as that was my main concern for DOMA that I've been stressing about.

2. Whiteboymdew

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't believe that will pass. I don't think so anyway. I really can't see this getting 60 votes in the house. I know a couple of Republicans will vote against the immigration bill just because of the new language. I cant see it.

3. Reptillian

If Obama will include it, then I shall believe his support for homosexuality is not a PLOY.

I am still skeptical.

4. HadesReborn

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hope it passes, but I fear that it won't judging by the ratio of seats...

5. JustMe2602

I really hope it passes.

I don't know. On one hand I think, Obama supports gay rights and knows that it is the right thing to do but on the other hand I'm not quite sure yet.

I have to see it to believe it.

6. My pessimist streak tells me that it wont be passed, but I really hope that it will be. Every step towards equality is a step that I want taken.

7. Candace

I agree with everyone here. When Obama said "change we can believe in", THIS BETTER BE WHAT HE MEANT.

8. JustMe2602

Does anyone know when we'll get to know if this has passed?

9. AlamoCity

I think that many Republicans have stated that if it is included, they will vote against the same-sex couples provision in the immigration reform bill. I think a good scenario is to exclude it entirely from the bill because the chances of the Supreme Court ruling DOMA Section 3 unconstitutional are greater than the chances the Republican-controlled House will pass the immigration bill with this "poison pill" amendment. If DOMA is overturned, it would make it easier for the federal government to recognize same-sex marriages for immigration purposes. The next can of worms is, what of those couples who live in a state where their marriage is not recognized but were lawfully married under another jurisdiction. Perhaps Obama can issue an Executive Order telling DHS and INS to treat all marriages as lawful regardless of the place of residence of the couples (e.g. couple residing in Texas that was married in Iowa). Of course, I'm just being an armchair quarterback lawyer (not a real lawyer :icon_bigg)